Is anyone a grad student?

Options
2»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm a grad student! It gets really tough sometimes!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Also PhD candidate here! I decided during one of my more stressful semester (we have to give a two hour research presentation to a committee if you pass you can continue to work towards your PhD, if you fail you have one more chance else you leave with a masters or nothing) would be a perfect time to overhall my habits exercise/ food/overall self care.

If I hadn't started making those changes during last summer, idk if I would have lasted through the fall trying to cram as much experiments in before Nov.

Because although I can't control always control my experiments, I can control how fast my pedals go on the spin bike, what I buy at the grocery store so I have access to healthy options.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Law school here, turning in my master’s thesis in 10 days. Still at least one semester of coursework to go, though.

I live in Finland so it’s a completely different system, master’s degree is included in almost all college programs, and you can sort of overlap them timewise. After I turn in my thesis, I’ll finish off the last courses missing from my bachelor’s degree.
  • Postgradgal
    Postgradgal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a grad student! please add me I just joined!

Live in Massachusetts and I’m juggling school, looking for work, studying for comprehensive exams, finding a new apartment, and a new relationship! It’s a lot and I feel overwhelmed but I’d like to make my health a priority again. Lost 40 pounds on MFP rigg after undergrad and gained half of it back since then.
  • SatinDoll85
    SatinDoll85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Grad student here studying forensic psychology. I have 4 casses left and just had a a baby 4 wks ago. I'm tying to hold it together!
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Wrapping up the MA and staring PhD in August - moving halfway around the world for it, a bit stressed about that. I've been juggling work and school for most of my 20s and quite liked it that way. Now switching to the famously intense US all-encompassing PhD thing is stressing me out and I'm worried that (along with the need to rebuild all my social networks, sort out housing and finances in a notoriously high cost area, etc,) will just lead to really bad health habits. On the other hand, there's sports facilities and exercise classes at the university that are leagues beyond what we have here, so I'm looking forwards to that as a motivator.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    PhD candidate here, and teaching a full class-load. Going into my fourth year out of five. When things get too crazy, I tend to give up on working out and I eat too much. I've lost almost 20 lbs using mfp, but gained five of them back last semester. I finally get a break from teaching this summer, so I'm hoping to set some good habits while I have time to just focus on them and my research.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem of most...I was in the best shape of my life in Grad school. I used exercise as a way of avoiding working on my thesis (and there was plenty of avoiding going on). Money was pretty tight and I had no car, so I rode my bike or walked to school and back (2 miles one way) each day. I was also in the middle of nowhere Iowa, so there wasn't much else going on to distract me from my focus of avoiding working on my degree. I did graduate, though, so I must have been putting in SOME work. :)
  • tk2222
    Options
    I had the opposite problem of most...I was in the best shape of my life in Grad school. I used exercise as a way of avoiding working on my thesis (and there was plenty of avoiding going on). Money was pretty tight and I had no car, so I rode my bike or walked to school and back (2 miles one way) each day. I was also in the middle of nowhere Iowa, so there wasn't much else going on to distract me from my focus of avoiding working on my degree. I did graduate, though, so I must have been putting in SOME work. :)

Ha, I'm trying to make that my strategy - exercise instead of food for procrastination and stress release. It semi-works for me here, but in practice its usually either a good day with both exercise, healthy eating and good research productivity, or off days of not being able to be bothered to leave the house, re-reading the same page all day and eating chocolate spread out of a jar with the end of a pencil. Now if only I could spread those out...
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    tk2222 wrote: »

Ha, I'm trying to make that my strategy - exercise instead of food for procrastination and stress release. It semi-works for me here, but in practice its usually either a good day with both exercise, healthy eating and good research productivity, or off days of not being able to be bothered to leave the house, re-reading the same page all day and eating chocolate spread out of a jar with the end of a pencil. Now if only I could spread those out...

Yeah - one thing that really helped was that I had to be in the "office" since I was teaching. I shared with 5 other grad students and there was a "no food in the office" rule. I didn't realize it at the time but I'm sure it helped a ton by blocking mindless study-eating.
  • Klaudia1747
    Klaudia1747 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in this boat! Work full time at a job in tech, and am pursuing my MBA. It's a struggle - would love to connect with others in similar boat!
  • Hownow37
    Hownow37 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Grad student 1.25 years to go, working FT. Man I'm tired and packing on the pounds.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Masters student! And now working part time, which I’ll continue to do once classes start in September, which I’ve never done before and is definitely intimidating!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Almost a grad student. Semi-retired and going back full time to get my PhD. School + full time mom + single mom + losing weight = not easy!!! I make a joke that every day I don't contemplate murdering someone is a good day. I had to stop at the DMV after class today, so today is a bust.
  • firestarinfini
    firestarinfini Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Phd student!!! Hoping to lose the wait I gained in my first two years, and look good for conferences!
  • tk2222
    Options
    Phd student!!! Hoping to lose the wait I gained in my first two years, and look good for conferences!
    Lol, yeah, figuring out what to wear for my first US conference was a full blown crisis. (Jeans? Yes? No? No one knows. Finally one supervisor told me I can wear anything I want, I just need to wear it with the right shoes.)
  • summertyme73
    summertyme73 Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Well, I am not a grad student, but almost done with my Bachelor's degree! I will give you some motivation!!!
    I am 45
    4 kids 22, 20, 16, & 3!!!!
    I have 2 jobs, both night shift, one full time and one part time
    I go to school
    I am doing keto
    I work out roughly 3 days/week
    I've lost 52 lbs since 2/17/18
    And I do all shopping for my household and cook all the meals.
    You can do it, trust me!