Losing for my health

Hi! I've been using mfp consistently (and more honestly) for about 2 months now and I'm 20 pounds down. I have lost 90 lbs once in the past but then life took over and my eating habits were out of control. I found it all again. Recently I began to have some pain and am now undergoing tests for an enlarged liver and possible gall bladder issues. I know that my weight and unhealthy choices have led me to where I am. I have 3 year old boy triplets and a husband who are my world so I'm making the changes now so that I can be here a long time with them. I want to lose 100 more pounds. It's a daunting number. Anyone on here have advice for an effective diet to lower cholesterol and help a slightly damaged liver? I'm mostly focusing in my eating habits first and slowly adding in more exercise. I do not want to overwhelm myself and get burnt out in the beginning. I Would love to see how others are doing this! :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Just the common (sense) advice - eat less. Eating more fruit, vegetables and whole grains is good. Family meals is good. Keeping it simple is good. Finding some exercise you like is good.
  • rbell95506
    rbell95506 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you! I've been trying to keep it simple :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    small achievable steps.
    get a scale
    weigh your food
    log your food
    eat at a calorie deficit. everything else is bells and whistles

ask your dr for diet suggestions. they will probably refer you to a registered dietitian.
    that being said-my RD suggested cutting dairy and carbs. so i never went back
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    A heart healthy diet can likely help. Lean protein, lots of fruit and veggies, whole grains, lowfat dairy, moderate amounts of healthy fats (olive oil, etc.), minimize added sugar. You can likely get some great recommendations from American Heart Association's website. (Heart.org) I found good resources for the DASH diet there for hypertension to help my sister who has had fabulous results in lowering blood pressure in a very short time. We're hopeful that cholesterol levels will benefit as well. I've been trying to follow the DASH guidelines as well to help support her, and I'm finding it very easy to follow.

As for the weight you still have to lose, don't focus on the ultimate number. Just keep plugging away, day by day, week by week.... Each step you take is better for your overall health. Congrats on your progress so far!
  • rbell95506
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    small achievable steps.
    get a scale
    weigh your food
    log your food
    eat at a calorie deficit. everything else is bells and whistles

ask your dr for diet suggestions. they will probably refer you to a registered dietitian.
    that being said-my RD suggested cutting dairy and carbs. so i never went back

Thank you for the tips! I just ordered my food scale today so hopefully it will be in next week. I've been consistently logging too. It's been a challenging last few months but I like plans and structure and this app helps a lot! I just started with this new doc so hopefully after all the test are done I can get a referral to a dietician.
  • rbell95506
    A heart healthy diet can likely help. Lean protein, lots of fruit and veggies, whole grains, lowfat dairy, moderate amounts of healthy fats (olive oil, etc.), minimize added sugar. You can likely get some great recommendations from American Heart Association's website. (Heart.org) I found good resources for the DASH diet there for hypertension to help my sister who has had fabulous results in lowering blood pressure in a very short time. We're hopeful that cholesterol levels will benefit as well. I've been trying to follow the DASH guidelines as well to help support her, and I'm finding it very easy to follow.

As for the weight you still have to lose, don't focus on the ultimate number. Just keep plugging away, day by day, week by week.... Each step you take is better for your overall health. Congrats on your progress so far!

I have been staying away from all fried foods and sticking with low far dairy or things made with almond milk. Letting go of cheese and sweets has been hard. Cheese a little easier than sweets. I have been looking at some websites like heart.org. it has helped! I'm glad that it has helped your sister! I hope that I can have great results too. I just have to get my mind in gear with what my body needs. Thanks for your input and your encouragement!