57 pounds down... 3 to go!

I'm a seminary student, studying at the School of Divinity at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, NC. In October of 2010, I decided that I wanted to join the US Navy's Chaplain Corps.
In December of 2010, I visited the Navy Officer Recruiting Station in Charlotte, where I signed the necessary paperwork and was told by the recruiter that the max weight for somebody my height - 6'2" - was 211 pounds, and that it was really in my best interest to be well below that.
I didn't think much about my weight at the time, because I was in the midst of finals. However, when I got home to Phoenix for Christmas, I weighed myself on my sister's scale.
It said 255 pounds. Oops.
Right around that time, a member of the choir at my church had decided he was going to start losing weight, and he showed me this little app for his Android phone - MyFitnessPal. Well, I thought, this might be the tool I need to get going.
So, I downloaded it, set my goals, and started going.
Eight months of careful eating - not dieting, just CAREFUL eating - and regular exercise later, I am down to 198 pounds. My goal is 195, which is where I'm hoping to stay. And guess what?
I'm being commissioned as an officer in the US Navy on Wednesday of next week.
Of course, it's also nice to weigh less now than I have since I finished my sophomore year of high school, in 1998.

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    CONGRATULATIONS!! Very proud of you!
  • Kudos to you! May all your dreams come true!!!!! I agree, I think the key is not to look at it as a diet as well, but a lifestyle change! I know you must be so proud! Good luck to you with all your future endeavors!
  • katzrich
    katzrich Posts: 17
    Thats great!! Keep up the good work!
  • wow !! well done on your weight loss you will be at your target weight very soon - congratulations
  • Woohoo! Way to go! Congrats!!!!! How exciting!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Congrats! I'm gonna steal that phrase- "careful eating" when people ask me what I'm doing to lose weight. Exercise and careful eating! =)
  • GeekGirlOnAQuest
    GeekGirlOnAQuest Posts: 84 Member
    Congratulations!! That's fantastic progress - keep going strong! And thank you for choosing to serve in our Armed Forces! :)
  • Awesome!!!! This story says a lot about your inner strength. Congratulations! :-)
  • MeganSWoods
    MeganSWoods Posts: 196 Member
    That is amazing! Congratulations to you and thank you for the service! :-D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!