I think my scale is broken? help!

Options
So the other day I weighed in at 120 lbs, and I was really happy because I haven't been that weight since I was much younger. But today I weighed in at 123, and I know that's not a lot, but when I look in the mirror I look smaller... So whats the deal?

Replies

• crazynay96
    Options
    TOM?
  • heatherhicksfakih
    heatherhicksfakih Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Could be gaining some muscle. It weights more than fat, or you could be retaining some water.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You could be retaining fluid, particularly if you ate something high in sodium, or if you've been working out really hard.

I've "gained" as much as 8 pounds in 24 hours from high sodium (mmmm.... luau!). Give it time, stay hydrated, and it'll go away.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Could easily be water retention. How have your water and sodium intake been since the lower weigh-in? I weight daily and get a predictable 2 - 4 day increase in weight (up to 3 lbs.) if I have even one high sodium day.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    nope I just checked yesterdays diary and it wasn't sodium, I was WAY under my goal on that one. And I haven't been exercising lately so it can't be that either
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    So the other day I weighed in at 120 lbs, and I was really happy because I haven't been that weight since I was much younger. But today I weighed in at 123, and I know that's not a lot, but when I look in the mirror I look smaller... So whats the deal?

It could be any number of reasons. Hang in there! Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bjohs/view/small-weight-gain-don-t-panic-127354
  • louayala
    louayala Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates within a 3-5 lb range from day to day. To combat the OMG - I - just - gained - 3 - lbs! moments, I've opted to only weigh myself once per week. Always the same day, time, location, etc. That's the only weight I count. If I can't resist the urge to weigh myself between by "official weigh-ins", I take that weight with a grain of salt - whether it's good or bad - and know that I just have to stick with my program and keep focused on the goal ahead of me and not the moment.
  • sunnylv
    sunnylv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just weighed today and it was before my regular weigh in (on Sunday). I gained 2 lbs. I feel your pain. I had a "What happened?" moment because I have been exercising faithfully for the last seven days.

It could be the female cycle.... It could be stress. Are you sleeping 7 to 8 hours a night or more? Are you eating regularly? Are you taking time for you?

Don't worry about it! Just press on! I am not going to let the 2 lbs. bother me. If you are exercising regularly and eating properly it will come back off!!!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who weigh multiple times per day and I could tell you that's a pretty normal fluctuation that could be just water, or maybe extra matter in your system if you've eaten a large meal in the past day (not necessarily fat on your body). Could also be extra muscle and probably a combination of all that...
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Depends on the time of day you check at too... your weight fluctuates through the day, so make sure u always check at the same time (and same conditions.... so far the best time I've found is in the morning after taking care of "business" and before I eat anything). try that, and see if it still fluctuates