Weight training / Cardiovascular

Options
Hello, everyone!

I have recently manage a weight loss of 65 pounds. All I did was cardio, especially running.
Now that I am wanting to build muscle mass, I know you're not suppose to burn calories because you need calories.
I really want to run A LOT and long distance etc but I also like weight training..

Am I able to do both? Is it possible?

Replies

• luckygrrrl
    Options
    Of course it's possible! Strength training will help your running, I would just recommend NOT doing it on the SAME DAY. You need to recover. Nike Plus and Active.com both have good systems to help you with your running and training. Good luck.
  • Spunk0164
    Options
    Good advice - definitely not on the same day. I follow a routine:

Weight training three times per week.
    Cardio three times per week.
    One day of rest. (If the weather is good, I may take my dog on a 1 to 3 mile walk - but completely dependent on the weather.)

I've been doing that AND eating better since late May and have lost ~10-12 lbs. And have gotten a *lot* stronger. So far, so good!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone!

I have recently manage a weight loss of 65 pounds. All I did was cardio, especially running.
    Now that I am wanting to build muscle mass, I know you're not suppose to burn calories because you need calories.
    I really want to run A LOT and long distance etc but I also like weight training..

Am I able to do both? Is it possible?
    To build muscle you need calories surplus, which means you will gain weight since building muscle means adding weight.
    While you can do both, it's much, much, much more difficult to add lean muscle if you are running a lot and especially long distances since a lot of the surplus will get sapped to fuel it.
    If you changed your running to explosive, short sessions, this would make them anaerobic and not burn as many calories and actually increase the hormones (based on the intensity) needed for protein synthesis.