Night shift tracking

Options
Hi, I'm a night shift carer at residential home.
I need your advice. As we normally eat around 2am here, would you track food and steps midnight to midnight or sleep to sleep?

Not sure which approach is better...

Thank you

Replies

• saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I tend to log midnight to midnight so I’m consistent with when I’m not on night shift. Try it and see what works best for you
  • tango2control
    tango2control Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have just started and was having the same debate with my wife as I work 3 different shifts.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference. Whichever makes it easier for you to plan.
  • txmaryk99
    txmaryk99 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I also work nightshift 2 nights a week and am just getting started.

I plan to go midnight to midnight as for me I think it will be easier. Also my fitbit is set for midnight to midnight.

Off course if it becomes crazy then I reserve the right to change my mind. :D
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I work swing shifts and track midnight to midnight. Thats when my fitbit and MFP reset.
  • mcfly216
    mcfly216 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too work swing shift. I track midnight to midnight. When I’m on my midnight rotation I track my meals at work as breakfast. I track my post work out meal as lunch and my dinner as dinner. But to me times don’t matter for my eating like some others try I watch.
  • Raaaaachael
    Raaaaachael Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've worked full time nightshift for 3 years and I tend to log mine from sleep to sleep as that's what's easier for me. But each to their own :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    When I did straight overnights, I logged sleep to sleep, but when I started doing splits, I found it was simpler to log midnight to midnight. It's really just a matter of personal preference, honestly.
  • NR81206
    NR81206 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for almost a year now and I work nights 7pm-7am. I log from when I wake to when I go to bed all on one day. I wake up at 2pm have breakfast, eat lunch at 6 with my family and have dinner at midnight at work. And maybe a snack at 2am. I really dont eat after 2 am since I have GERD. So that's why I log all on one day. Plus I hate to wake up with calories taken away from me.
  • JJsGirl2014
    JJsGirl2014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Night shifter for 18 years!! Love it! I keep the same schedule on my off days. When I awake, it's time for breakfast. Lunch is around 2300 (11pm) Dinner is usually around 0400 (4am) By the time I leave work at 0700, I'm ready for a snack before exercise. Then when I head to bed, I don't have to worry about reflux. I chart my dinner on the day I awoke. Sounds strange? This keeps me on track for the 'day'. Like jennifer_417 stated - it is a matter of personal preference.