Eat or leave extra calories

Options
Evening, hope you are all well.

I have been regliously counting my calories today and also did some exercise giving me an extra 500 calories.

I know what I will be eating/drinking later, however it will leave me with about 150/200 calories remaining.

What would you all do? Make sure I "use them up" or leave them?

CHEERS :D

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    make sure you have at least 1200 net calories!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I saw leave them. You wouldn't want to go over. I went out last night and i went over.
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    To ME eating at least 1/2 of the exercise calories is the motivation that gets me to exercise... its my reward and it works .... for me.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about 150 odd calories.

500 would be a different matter! But as long as it isnt a regular occurence, no problem.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hi, well done :)
    If you have a search there are lots of threads about eating exercise calories, there is variance with people believing you should eat them all, some eat 'some' and then there are others eat none. I must admit I see how it goes, some days I eat them mostly I don't. I have a lot of weight left to lose so figure that occasionally eating more will kick start my MBR occasionally and also by not eating them I'll lose quicker. It works for me and I'm never hungry.. if I was i'd eat them. :)

Sorry not to be much help!
  • mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    Options
    DO NOT EAT YOUR EXCERISE CALORIES
  • 1cat20
    1cat20 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think you need to eat at least 1200 a day to keep yourself from starvation mode. You don't want to shut down your metabolism. Having calories left over will help lose faster and average out on the days you might go over.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I personally try to leave 100-200 calories to account for inaccuracies in calculating calories eaten and exercise calories, but I just started.
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    If your hungry then eat them, if not leave them alone. I know for myself I usaully don't have a calorie to spar at the end of them, I'm always hungry!
  • mlm7126
    mlm7126 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Generally, I do eat back my exercise calories...however, there are some days where I'm just not hungry enough to eat them all back. 100-200 calories doesn't seem like a huge deal. Listen to your body!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    It varies per person. Try eating them for a week, then try not eating them for a week and see what works for you. If you are full, don't force yourself to eat.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I gain when I eat exercise calories.
  • Linsey1973
    Linsey1973 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I think I will see how how it goes. If I eat them for the sake of it then it would be pointless. I went over my calories yesterday so if I leave them it makes sense.

CHEERS :D
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry then use them so you're not tempted to overeat later after denying yourself; if you're not hungry then leave them as they may help compensate for a later blip or allow you to lose more. Make sure you're confident with the calories you're claiming for exercise. I do lots of walking but don't believe how the calories burned massively ramp up when you only increase your speed a little so I'm taking my pedometer out with me tomorrow to be doubly sure! Good Luck!
  • patriciaachish
    patriciaachish Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    as long as you eat ATLEAST 1,200 calories a day then it is not necessary to eat your exercise calories unless u r hungry... I personally want to burn more calories so that I'll have extra calories for later... I can't live with 1,200 calories... I love eating... >_< so my solution with this love for eating is working out... ^_^
  • PatientBear
    Options
    DO NOT EAT YOUR EXCERISE CALORIES

Wrong. Eat the calories your body needs for fuel. Whatever your target number is with MFP, that's the NET you need on a daily basis. As someone else said, if you are occasionally under by 100-150, that's no big deal. But under by 500 on a habitual basis will become counterproductive.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat them if I am already above 1,200. If you are still hungry, eat a small, protein-packed snack that you won't feel guilty about. I usually have a small handful of almonds or some greek yogurt.
  • Linsey1973
    Linsey1973 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    In the end i had 177 left. I have eaten well today, had a bottle of wine and jelly babies. I did a long walk..... I am happy with what I have achieved. Won't be able to exercise like this every day, but then again, I only eat/drink like this at the weekend.