Frequency of weighing?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Another daily weigher here. Every morning, same time, same conditions, and using a trending app to track the overall trend. I take measurements (tape and skinfold calipers) and progress pics monthly.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    After weighing myself daily for a very long time, I realized that I was just needlessly freaking myself out over natural fluctuations in my weight. And now I'm like you, weighing monthly. It keeps me sane. :smiley:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Daily - to me it's data and normal fluctuations don't concern me in the slightest.
    I'm aware of trends but don't feel the need to plot them.

My happiness isn't so fragile that the number on a simple measuring device can upset me.
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    daily absolutely. i feel like a junkie going through withdrawal when i go on holidays and there's no scale!
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I’m a scale addict. I weigh myself daily.
  • nodley
    nodley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Every morning. Fluctuations don't bother me, and if I put weight on I just get more determined.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am pretty overweight and find I expect to lose more or as fast I think I should sometimes. So I find I can't weigh more than once a week or I find myself getting very discouraged. I think it helps me keep on my plan telling myself, "Just Do The Next Right Thing" and stay on your plan and it will be com off. I think weighing daily when I get closer to my goal makes sense, but until then I've got to do what works for me. We are all different and have to do works for ourselves. One day at a time. Good luck everyone. :)
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Daily so I have more trend data (although I don't pay much attention to the number, I only look at the overall trend in trendweight.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Daily out of habit. It gets me to log into MFP and helps keep me mindful of my calories for the day. Not that I'd go on a crazy binge if I didn't step on the scale, it's just part of my routine now like walking the dog, going to the gym or weighing my food.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    skystarfor wrote: »
    Once a week, same day & time, after going to toilet when u wake up

This! Well, only daily!

But, everyone is different. Everyone has a different relationship with food and with the scale. Do what works for you.

I look at one week as my time line. I look at total caloric intake in terms of one week (so, as an example, 14,000 calories....not 2,000 calories every day). I look at the 'data points' on the graph and look at the trend (as others have used that word....trend is a very good thing). It can be challenging to get your mindset to that (a weekly thing...) and to looking at the trend.
  • kenny492
    kenny492 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I sleep so I can get a weekly average drop as there are days when your weight fluctuates. This way I can analyze my weekly weight against my macro intake.
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. It really helps me stay on track.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I would love to weigh myself but I need a scale which can handle my weight....
  • vaskaxtumir
    vaskaxtumir Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, and, as a couple of others on this thread have also observed, I find that weighing myself first thing after a morning walk, and before breakfast, gives me the most reliable readings. I used to be discouraged by the fluctuations you mention but have recently learned to simply move past a disappointing weigh-in.

The upside to this method is that I can now review my weight loss and see a visible and continuous downward trend, which is very gratifying and encouraging :-)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Not everyone fits in the same square peg.
    I am NOT a daily weigher because that would lead to a compulsiveness which is not healthy for me!
    Once a week weigher for me and keeps me grounded without being obsessed! Weight loss is what I want not trends and physical reactions to food...physiology...weather...altitude..fluid..meds....etc.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Daily weighing, once in the morning, works best for me. I check my checking account balance everyday, too. Doing it less frequently has caused me great problems in the past, both with my weight, and my checking account! But if what you are doing works for you, I'd keep doing it.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and plug it in happy scale ( an app i am trying out). Weekly i weigh first thing in the morning (after i urinate) and add it here.

My weight fluctuates during the week. It will hover for awhile and then drop, then hover around the new number. I don't worry about it. I am looking for a trend.

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Not everyone fits in the same square peg.
    I am NOT a daily weigher because that would lead to a compulsiveness which is not healthy for me!
    Once a week weigher for me and keeps me grounded without being obsessed! Weight loss is what I want not trends and physical reactions to food...physiology...weather...altitude..fluid..meds....etc.

I completely agree with this one! I used to weigh in daily, but ended up getting compulsive, and decided to quit weighing in altogether before developing a disorder - I ended up quitting all my newly formed eating and exercising habits too. Now I weigh in once a week, on Sunday morning, with the exception of weighing in on Sat or Mon if I’m away from home. I have only had significant fluctuations affect my weigh-in once since the conditions are similar ever week, and that one time I did a second weigh-in on the next day to see if I had estimated the situation correctly and my numbers matched (they did). I take measurements once every two weeks.

Extra bonus to Sunday morning weigh-ins: I often have parties on Saturday nights, and knowing the weigh-in is the next day often deters me from having extra drinks or snacks. For some odd reason, knowing there’s no time to ”make up for it” helps.
  • ChefAbs
    ChefAbs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I record my weight, daily (same time every day), and I record my body fat, muscle mass, water weight, and bone mass on a weekly basis (same day every week).
  • justjennihous
    justjennihous Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh everyday. Now, my scale isn't reflecting the numbers I want. I might need to lower the frequency of weighing. Your body changes everyday.