1/4 cup minced onion
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 In a saucepan bring salted water to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

2 Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil cabbage leaves 2 minutes; drain.

3 In large bowl, combine 1 cup cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, salt and pepper; stir well to combine. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, and roll up, tucking in ends. Place rolls in slow cooker.

4 In small bowl, combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice and Worcestershire. Pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on low 8 to 9 hours.

I added a can of diced tomatoes to the sauce. Plus garlic for the ground beef stuffing! It really was great!

195 calories and 4 grams of fat.

Replies

• fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    makes 12 rolls, serving is based on two rolls

1/2 cup uncooked white rice
    12 leaves cabbage
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 In a saucepan bring salted water to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

3 In large bowl, combine 1 cup cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, salt and pepper; stir well to combine. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, and roll up, tucking in ends. Place rolls in slow cooker.

4 In small bowl, combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice and Worcestershire. Pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on low 8 to 9 hours.

I added a can of diced tomatoes to the sauce. Plus garlic for the ground beef stuffing! It really was great!

• MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    This sounds wonderful... If only my husband liked cabbage!!! Do you know if you can freeze it into portions for later?
  • fitchick99
    Options
    This sounds wonderful... If only my husband liked cabbage!!! Do you know if you can freeze it into portions for later?

yup you can, but make a little extra sauce to freeze along, I find that they soak up the sauce when you freeze them.
  • MissResa
    Options
    Thank-you!!! I'll have to try them when he's gone for drill... He hates cabbage, and used to leave the house as a kid when his mom would make sour kraut... :laugh:
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Tagging this to make later in the week. Already have the ingredients! Gotta love them crockpots man!

Thanks a ton!
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    mmmm i LOVE cabbage rolls ill have to try this recipe
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have just changed my dinner plans for tomorrow yum thanks that sounds great
  • fitchick99
    Options
    I made these last night for supper and because it was a low cal day for me I added parmesan cheese to the filling...YUMMY!! need I say more :laugh:
  • medalia
    medalia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Right On! All I need is the cabbage and I'm good to go. This sounds so YUMMY!!
    I am going to use brown rice and ground turkey.

Thank you for posting!!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Tag
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    makes 12 rolls, serving is based on two rolls

1/2 cup uncooked white rice
    12 leaves cabbage
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

Glad you shared fitchic....love the idea to have the recipe for the crockpot, I've made them in the oven but never tried this method. Ahh much easier!!:bigsmile:

Thanks for taking time to share it:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I have just changed my dinner plans for tomorrow yum thanks that sounds great
    :happy: :wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Right On! All I need is the cabbage and I'm good to go. This sounds so YUMMY!!
    I am going to use brown rice and ground turkey.

Thank you for posting!!
    I think I'll sub those 2 as well:drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Tagging this to make later in the week. Already have the ingredients! Gotta love them crockpots man!

Thanks a ton!
    Oh! Don't crockpots simply make life soooo much easier?!:wink::tongue:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Ok, have now passed this recipe on to many other folks off MFP and they're loving the idea it's a crockpot one as well!:happy:

Thanks again for sharing it Fitchick :bigsmile::flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    bumpin Fitchick's crockpot recipe for those who may have missed it earlier in the day:flowerforyou:
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Love cabbage rolls, never tried it in the crockpot. Tag!
  • nwfamilygal
    Options
    sounds mmmmmmmmmmmmmmgoooooooooooood I will try this one:flowerforyou: Thank you:bigsmile:
  • MissResa
    Options
    I made this tonight... I loved it!!! But my husband hates cabbage... I really have to make it when he's not home-the smell of cabbage throws him off.

Next time, I'm using the filling for bell peppers-I think it would be good for that, too!!!

Thanks, Fitchick!!!:flowerforyou: