Low carb camping!

Options
Has anyone gone camping while doing low carb? Beverages and snacks will be easy, but I’m struggling to think of things I could bring for lunch and dinner. :/ There will be an RV there, but it’s not mine so cooking will have to be limited.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    Jerky.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Have access to a grill? BBQ all the things! Steak, chicken, etc
  • kissyreka
    kissyreka Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can have hot dogs and other meats. Bring a few avocados too.
  • XMetalMomX
    XMetalMomX Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That’s a good idea. Maybe I could just bring a small BBQ and do everything that way. With avocados :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Low carb camping is really easy to pack for - it takes up a lot less space than the carby camping foods. ;)

Raw veggies and dip, sausages, burgers, steaks, trail mix, cheese slices, eggs, jerky, pork rinds are all easy camping foods if you want very low carb. For slightly higher carb I'd bring some apples, melon, oranges, coconut flour baked goods or whatever else you are in the mood for.

Have fun.
  • meatball2714
    meatball2714 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna, sardines, and a little gross but Vienna wieners
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Low carb camping is really easy to pack for - it takes up a lot less space than the carby camping foods. ;)

Raw veggies and dip, sausages, burgers, steaks, trail mix, cheese slices, eggs, jerky, pork rinds are all easy camping foods if you want very low carb. For slightly higher carb I'd bring some apples, melon, oranges, coconut flour baked goods or whatever else you are in the mood for.

Have fun.

Trail mix? What's your definition of low carb? 35% to 40% of energy from carbs in an energy-dense food wouldn't fit most definitions of low carb I'm familiar with.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Veggies, nuts, cheese, meats (jerky, tuna, canned chicken etc)

Have a good time!
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Have fun.

Trail mix? What's your definition of low carb? 35% to 40% of energy from carbs in an energy-dense food wouldn't fit most definitions of low carb I'm familiar with.

I make my own trail mix: macadamias, Brazil nuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut, sugar free chocolate chips, cacao nibs and salt. Leave out the dried fruit and candy.

I follow a ketogenic diet, and typically keep my carbs under 20-30g. My trail mix fits my macros.

I consider low carb to be under 100-150 g of carbs a day, using net or total. For some, that could be 40% of calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Have fun.

I make my own trail mix: macadamias, Brazil nuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut, sugar free chocolate chips, cacao nibs and salt. Leave out the dried fruit and candy.

I follow a ketogenic diet, and typically keep my carbs under 20-30g. My trail mix fits my macros.

I consider low carb to be under 100-150 g of carbs a day, using net or total. For some, that could be 40% of calories.

OK. And other than the veggies that's pretty much the only source of carbs in the foods you list, so I guess in that context OP could fit in a couple servings of even standard, commercial trail mix a day and still stay low carb by that definition. It just surprised me to see something that I usually see packed with dried fruit on a list of low-carb foods.
  • nvmomketo
    edited June 2018
    Options

Have fun.

OK. And other than the veggies that's pretty much the only source of carbs in the foods you list, so I guess in that context OP could fit in a couple servings of even standard, commercial trail mix a day and still stay low carb by that definition. It just surprised me to see something that I usually see packed with dried fruit on a list of low-carb foods.

Trail mix can be quite high carb. That's true.

Sort of like muffins. I suggested coconut flour muffins (mine are made with oil, eggs, coconut flour, flax meal, stevia, vanilla, salt, baking powder, and protein powder) which can be low carb, but regular muffins made with flour, sugar and starches, may be high carb.

I also suggested some fruit. ;)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Pick up a loaf of white bread/sandwich thins. Maybe bring peanut butter and a measuring spoon. If you have refrigeration or ice chest....hard boiled eggs (You will find everyone will eat these too :/ )
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Look up recipe for protein balls!
    Being prepared is half the battle to your ultimate goal...even on vacation!!!
    So many take vacations from their plan/goals and never return to it! Don't let it happen to you or we will here from you next year plus the extra lbs you bring with You! It's up to you!