Feeling Discouraged !

Options
Hey yall, I just started back eating right and logging every day, I have been losing weight I'll say a pound in a half for the lady 2 weeks do I decided to get on the scale & weigh myself & now I'm weighing a little more than the other weeks I been measuring my food I use a food scale I eat whole foods for the most part and even if I have a cookie are something .i'll make sure it's in my calories goal I also work out the scale was going down but now it's going back up can somebody please tell me what's might be happening sorry for the long post TIA❤

Replies

• Millender2012
    Millender2012 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not Lady but LAST* & also SO* NOT DO !
  • Millender2012
    Millender2012 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    .thank y’all so much ! ❤️
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I am within my calories for the day but know the scales will be way up tomorrow. Why? I went out for tea so my salt intake has been much higher than usual and a larger meal will mean more food in my body. I have also walked more than usual. Not to fear though. It will be water weight and the scale will drop back down again in a few days.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Don't be discouraged! I woke up to the scale saying I'm 8 lbs over this week. I know it's just water weight ( female TOM , salty foods and sore muscles) I trust the process and know that as long as I am creating a caloric deficit that I will lose weight. Weight loss comes from creating a calorie deficit so as long as you are creating a Deficit, you will lose. Scale fluctuations are absolutely normal and happen to us all. Don't fret , it'll work itself out.

Best MFP Moniker yet. But, I happen (when I consume alcohol) to prefer Bourbon!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hey yall, I just started back eating right and logging every day, I have been losing weight I'll say a pound in a half for the lady 2 weeks do I decided to get on the scale & weigh myself & now I'm weighing a little more than the other weeks I been measuring my food I use a food scale I eat whole foods for the most part and even if I have a cookie are something .i'll make sure it's in my calories goal I also work out the scale was going down but now it's going back up can somebody please tell me what's might be happening sorry for the long post TIA❤

As others have stated, everything will be okay. The human body is really very simple in that it has two functions: 1) to survive and 2) to adapt. However, it is VERY complicated in all of the things that it does to ensure #1.

If you are a woman (and I would guess that you are...) then - and I am not getting personal - if it is your time of the month (generally speaking) your body will be all out of whack and the scale will not be your friend. If that is not the case, then there are lots of other potential reasons for this.

Here is an example - I do Keto. And I do this because I have high A1C. When I do consume carbs (I am usually around 20g of Carbs a day.....but every blue moon I will carb out....and not because of cravings....but because of that silly thing called life...I do not restrict myself and I have a very healthy relationship with fuel, er, I mean food!) I will gain anywhere from four to eight pounds overnight. Correct! No typos there. Between 4 and 8 lbs overnight. And, it will take me three (sometimes four....but usually three) days for that weight to go away. I do not freak out...I know that this is going to happen. I carbed out last Thrusday (so, two nights ago). Guess what? The scale was VERY RUDE Friday morning! And still is! LOL!

Anyway, you thought your post was long....HA! I will show you a long post!

If I might suggest something....something that has really helped me and others whom I help: look at "one week" as the measure of time. So, weigh yourself every morning and simply note it and view that as one data point on the graph. With the 'graph' being one-weeks worth of data points. What is the trend? Up? Down? Now, what do you want? Are things going in the right direction for you? Yes - cool! Keep on doing what you are doing! No? Drats! Okay, what is going on?

Does that make sense?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Not Lady but LAST* & also SO* NOT DO !

FYI you can edit your posts for up to an hour :)

On desktop, you click the gear icon to the right of your post. Might be the same on mobile; no idea.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    This is why I only weigh once a month.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The scale can be your worst enemy sometimes (I know mine is) measure your body every few weeks to see progress in a different way, or just keep trying on a small pair of pants or a shirt to see how it fits differently. I struggled a lot with over working my body and didn't realize I was doing it, but I was staying the same weight or even gaining and was super frustrated. Mentioned it to a doctor and was told I was retaining water and my muscles were inflamed from over use when they had previously been under used.

I know it is frustrating, we all want to see those numbers going down on a daily basis, but it doesn't always work like that and doesn't mean you aren't losing fat. Try to limit your weigh ins, focus on how you feel and knowing that you are making healthier decisions to be a healthier you!

Best of luck to you :)
  • Dewines
    Dewines Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am very discouraged too. When came back to MFP last week, I tried to set it to lose 2 lbs a week as I have over 30 lb to lose. It put my calories at 1200 per day. However, now, even if I get to 10,000 steps per day and do not go over my allowance, when I complete the diary it forecasts a weight loss in 5 weeks that works out at less than 1lb per week. Although I thought I had lost 3 lb over the past week (yes I know it's mostly water), the scale this morning is 1.5 lb up again. I just don't know what to do. I don't have time to spend 2 hours walking the city to do 10,000 steps every day.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Dewines wrote: »
    I am very discouraged too. When came back to MFP last week, I tried to set it to lose 2 lbs a week as I have over 30 lb to lose. It put my calories at 1200 per day. However, now, even if I get to 10,000 steps per day and do not go over my allowance, when I complete the diary it forecasts a weight loss in 5 weeks that works out at less than 1lb per week. Although I thought I had lost 3 lb over the past week (yes I know it's mostly water), the scale this morning is 1.5 lb up again. I just don't know what to do. I don't have time to spend 2 hours walking the city to do 10,000 steps every day.

With only 30 lbs. to lose you should not be trying to lose 2 lbs. a week. You have to eat at least 1,000 calories LESS than your maintenance in order to lose that. Losing 2 lbs. per week is for people who are obese, over 200 pounds.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Dewines wrote: »

Set it to 1lb a week and be more patient. You might also find a trending weight app helpful because it'll track your weight over the long term and show you which way your weight is trending overall. You're always going to have weight fluctuations within a few pounds due to all sorts of factors.