Low carb

CateL51
CateL51 Posts: 6 Member
Hi
I'm wanting to try low carb and wondering what a good carb fat protein ratio would be

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Not sure what your target calories are but something that will give you around 100g of carbs might be a good start.

The group the poster above mentioned would be a good place to visit for help and advice on a low carb diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I agree with all of the above.

Low carb is typically under 100-150 g of carbs. Protein is usually moderate. For women that is often between 70 and 130 g, although some go higher or a bit lower. Fat fills in the rest.

Your macro percentages will depend on your calorie intake. 100 g of protein ( or carbs) is 400 calories. If you eat 1200 kcal, then that is 30%. If you eat 2000 kcal, then the same amount is only 20% of total calories. Carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram, and fat has 9 kcal per gram.
  • CateL51
    CateL51 Posts: 6 Member
    Thankyou so much this has been very helpful
    I'm 1200 cal intake and thought it might be 30%
    Ive set fat to 40%
    Protein 30%
    Does that sound correct
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    That sounds like a good place to start. :)

• vaskaxtumir
    vaskaxtumir Posts: 16 Member
    Go with that ratio (30-40-30) for a couple of weeks and then evaluate your results. We're all different, and the best thing is to discover what works for you individually. I'm so sensitive to carbs -- which then raises my insulin levels, which prevents me from losing fat -- that I have to keep my carb intake to under 20%. But that's quite unusual, I understand. 30% carbs may work beautifully for you :-)