Protein Shakes??

Options
Hey guys.
So I’m struggling with now knowing if I’m consuming enough protein. I am also working out 5-6 days a week and am on a low-calorie diet of 1,220 a day. I consume some type of protein at each meal three times a day, but am being shown through MFP that I still am not eating enough protein.
Is a supplement or shake indicated? If so, what are some products you’d recommend? If and when do I take it?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you'd rather have a shake or protein bar instead of eating more of the foods you're already eating that contain protein, that's fine.

I personally use unflavored hemp or rice protein. I find they work well for my preferred way to consume in (with cashew milk in cold brew coffee).

You can take it whenever you'd like. It's just another type of food.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I typically have a hard time hitting my protein goal. I added a protein powder to my breakfast smoothie and that helps some. On days I'm really down I'll have a protein shake for a snack too, but just with water not any add ins.

I'm no expert, but in my research I had to first determine what type of protein shake I wanted; whey, soy, vegan/plant, casein etc. This is very much determined by what will work for you as far as dietary and gastrointestinal needs go. Do a little research and decide what is most important to you. I recommend buying a smaller tub, or trial packets before committing to any one powder.

Also, if you are feeling full and satiated with the amount of protein you are currently eating maybe adjust your macros to align more with your daily intake.

Some other high protein snacks I like; beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, almonds, a few slices of low sodium deli turkey, and greek yogurt can be a good one too!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Shakes, bars, vitamins... Are all supplements. If you're already eating a healthy overall diet. Adding a supplement is perfectly fine.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I’m struggling with now knowing if I’m consuming enough protein.
    I would figure out this before looking into supplements.
    I am on a low-calorie diet of 1,220 a day.
    Is this necessary/beneficial to your goals? The less you eat, the harder it will be to stick to.
    I am being shown through MFP that I am not eating enough protein.
    MFP's default suggestion is that you get 20% of your calories from protein. That isn't a particulaly difficult goal to reach. So if you struggle, I can't help but wonder if you have changed it, and if so, to what, and why?
  • Jrodasff
    Jrodasff Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you are doing weight training, a whey protein isolate is a great way to feed your muscles immediately after a workout. Sometimes I even make it as a meal by using almond milk, frozen bananas, peanut butter and a scoop of chocolate protein powder. When you work out 5-6 times a week, you need to supplement your protein intake because I doubt your getting enough of it in your low calorie diet.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Jrodasff wrote: »
    If you are doing weight training, a whey protein isolate is a great way to feed your muscles immediately after a workout. Sometimes I even make it as a meal by using almond milk, frozen bananas, peanut butter and a scoop of chocolate protein powder. When you work out 5-6 times a week, you need to supplement your protein intake because I doubt your getting enough of it in your low calorie diet.

You don’t need to eat a shake right after a workout unless it is what you like to do.

• xxerniexx
    xxerniexx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    liquid egg whites are 100% protein for a nice boost to you daily numbers
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Timing isn’t important. Adding protein powder will mean reducing other foods elsewhere in your diet, just so you are aware.

I really like the idea above to get the egg whites. You could make a morning omelette with veggies.

I get whey protein isolate from Bulk Barn and I let hubby make my shakes for me.
  • Jrodasff
    Jrodasff Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

You don’t need to eat a shake right after a workout unless it is what you like to do.

Science shows time and time again for years that immediately after your workouts, a protein isolate is best to be taken. It is the most beneficial. Brytany can take the info and decide what works best for herself.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Science shows time and time again for years that immediately after your workouts, a protein isolate is best to be taken. It is the most beneficial. Brytany can take the info and decide what works best for herself.

I thought that myth died around the same time as the fat burning zone and those electric ab belts.

Other than bro magazines like Mens Health, I see all the experts saying protein timing is a myth. <shrug>

OP hasn't been back for several weeks, so I'm sure she's already decided whatever she was going to do.
  • Lithinissi
    Lithinissi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I LOVE VADE nutrition protein shake packs. They are so good and filling. I use 8 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk and toss the dissolvable pack in and shake it up. So yummy and helps my protein intake.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I start my day off with a protein shake, some added to my coffee and then I just drink the rest.

Depending on how much protein you want/need and how much money you are willing to spend, I have 2 favorites. Premier Shakes (they have tons of delicious flavors) 30g of protein, 160 calories and are low on carbs but they are NOT cheap.

For that reason, I have switched to the Wal-Mart Equate Brand. Sadly, only French vanilla and chocolate are available right now but they are just as good as the Premier and a lot cheaper! They only have 15g of protein, but the same calories and carbs.

As for protein bars, the best, least strange texture I have found are power crunch bars. Tons of flavors and all that I have tried are delicious. Again, a bit pricey (Wal-Mart usually has a box of 5 for 4.98 on rollback) but elsewhere a box of 5 is about 6.25