I'm 70, fat and want to reach 71.

ian4239316
ian4239316 Posts: 14 Member
I would love to be able to walk down the 34 steps from my apartment so that I could go food shopping instead of having everything delivered. The recipes and their photographs on MFP look great but then I see "serves 4". This is discouraging as I live alone. Is there a source for solo recipes that I've missed?

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,836 MFP Moderator
    Welcome to the MFP Community. :flowerforyou: I haven't seen a specific thread for solorecipes, but you could start one. :)

Meal prep for one can be a challenge. One option is to simply cut a recipe that serves 4 in half. Then you're making two portions and you could refrigerate or freeze one to eat later. You do the work once, but you get to eat twice. :)
  • dukeofthedeck
    dukeofthedeck Posts: 21 Member
    You could try Allrecipes, www.allrecipes.com/recipes/15050/everyday-cooking/cooking-for-one. Also most recipes can be scaled by cutting the ingredients proportionately.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Welcome
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Welcome to family!
  • ian4239316
    Thanks for your advice. I now know that I'm not alone on this journey and that's reassuring. Onwards ...
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Welcome:). I hope you stick around!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I also do what jgnatca does. I cook big batches (Just Hubby and me). Serve myself 1 portion, Hubs eats as much as he wants, and I freeze the remainder in individual portions for later. Works really well. I retired last December, but my husband is still working (he works 2 pm to 10 pm) so I am home alone for supper. I also keep raw veggies prepped and in the fridge for snacking. Hard boiled eggs too.
  • Mommyofthree0731
    Mommyofthree0731 Posts: 11 Member
    Welcome to MFP! :)
  • etainwow
    etainwow Posts: 5 Member
    Hi and Welcome! Don't be discouraged by "serves 4". Divide it out into quarters and freeze (when appropriate of course).

As for groceries - the two majors ("Coles-worths") now often do food delivery to your door. If you are savvy, check around Woolworths website in particular - any low calorie recipes you like you can actually add the ingredients into your shopping list automatically! Super handy.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Welcome and good for you wanting to take steps to be healthier!

I am a single mom of a super picky 3 year old, so I totally get the "serves 4" dilemma. I typically make a few days worth of something at a time, particularly my meat. I don't want to cook one piece of chicken every night, so I make a few at a time and eat on it for several days. As for sides, that gets a little more complicated. I eat a lot of fresh veggies and those steamable bags/boxes of mixed veggies are incredible! I especially like the Green Giant steamers that come in a box, they are technically 2 servings, but easily eaten by one person and most are still very healthy with a lot of varieties to choose from.

Also, sometimes if I have found a recipe that I really want to try but don't know how to cut it down or don't want to eat it more than once (no leftovers), I will try to round up a friend or two to come over for dinner. Company is always nice, as is not wasting food.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Another thumbs up to allrecipes.com. in general. It has a feature where one can change the servings and it will adjust all ingredients accordingly.
  • ian4239316
    Thanks again for all the helpful advice. I could go ahead and prepare the dreaded "serves 4" recipe and only eat a quarter. That is definitely an option and would be an excellent solution for somebody who wants to eat the same meal four times. What I would like is for this to happen in reverse - a source primarily for one portion recipes that could be doubled, tripled and quadrupled to suit families. It would make life easier for my situation. Delia Smith's book "One is fun" has been suggested to me and I will try to get a copy then keep you posted.

This is such a supportive family that I have joined and special thanks to those who recommended the allrecipes.com site - this looks awesome. Love you all.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    In addition to all the above I'll add one word--walking. The more the better.
  • ian4239316
    I've got hold of an ancient battered copy of One Is Fun and have just devoured a spicy mushroom curry - only 438 calories. (More if you want rice with it). I knew there had to be a place for solo deliciousness somewhere. Joy.