Keto diet and IF anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• pamela651
    pamela651 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am trying the KETO diet. i was off and on about it. i was losing about a pound a week. fell off the wagon this week. so i am starting fresh on Sunday. (have a grad party on Saturday) I wouldnt mind some insite from people. there is a lot to learn.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Oops. I forgot to add that my energy is improved on keto. Not really higher but I don't get the lows anymore. No need for that mid afternoon nap when blood glucose levels fall, because my BG levels are steady now.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    "
    silly question but is there difference between low carb/keto? low card just an old term? LOL

Low carb is generally accepted to mean eating fewer than 100-150g of carbs (net or total) a day. Keto is very low carb, and is usually under 20-50 g of carbs a day - low enough to keep you in ketosis almost all of the time.

Gotcha
    curious for those doing keto..how is your energy level
    my issue with low carb is low energy
    i guess im not 100% clear of what I can eat and what I cant
    my friend went to a nutritionist who put her on a low carb diet but said soem foods were safe that I didnt think were

@kimber0607
    The energy dip is usually from low electrolytes. When carbs are cut you lose water weight and electrolytes with it. If you don't replace those electrolytes with a fair bit if sodium, you end up with fatigue, headaches, moodiness, BM issues, nausea and muscle aches/weakness or spasms. If you aren't getting at least 3000 to 5000 mg of sodium a day, you probably need more.

For reference, 2300 mg sodium = 1 teaspoon salt.

Some will experience a mild energy dip for a few weeks to a few months as their body gets used to running on fat, especially those who eat ketogenic. It should be very mild though and only noticeable with strenuous exercise. Fatigue while inactive is probably caused by low sodium, not enough food, stress or poor sleep.

But what do you mean by "safe foods"? Do you mean too high carb to fit into the diet or something that is a food sensitivity for that person?

wow...didnt know!
    I need to do some research....figure out what im doing and that Im eating the right stuff
    silly question but what would help in the sodium/salt dept that is still ket or low carb safe and healthy?
    i eat lots of nuts though...cashews are lightly salted etc..so the only thing that came to mind is salt and i add salt to my string beans
    thank you
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    "
    silly question but is there difference between low carb/keto? low card just an old term? LOL

Low carb is generally accepted to mean eating fewer than 100-150g of carbs (net or total) a day. Keto is very low carb, and is usually under 20-50 g of carbs a day - low enough to keep you in ketosis almost all of the time.

Gotcha
    my friend went to a nutritionist who put her on a low carb diet but said soem foods were safe that I didnt think were

@kimber0607
    The energy dip is usually from low electrolytes. When carbs are cut you lose water weight and electrolytes with it. If you don't replace those electrolytes with a fair bit if sodium, you end up with fatigue, headaches, moodiness, BM issues, nausea and muscle aches/weakness or spasms. If you aren't getting at least 3000 to 5000 mg of sodium a day, you probably need more.

Some will experience a mild energy dip for a few weeks to a few months as their body gets used to running on fat, especially those who eat ketogenic. It should be very mild though and only noticeable with strenuous exercise. Fatigue while inactive is probably caused by low sodium, not enough food, stress or poor sleep.

But what do you mean by "safe foods"? Do you mean too high carb to fit into the diet or something that is a food sensitivity for that person?

wow...didnt know!
    I need to do some research....figure out what im doing and that Im eating the right stuff
    silly question but what would help in the sodium/salt dept that is still ket or low carb safe and healthy?
    i eat lots of nuts though...cashews are lightly salted etc..so the only thing that came to mind is salt and i add salt to my string beans
    thank you

I had a hard time getting enough sodium at first because I'd been on the low sodium bandwagon for so many years - I didn't even salt my food.

I just jumped right in by eating half a teaspoon of salt, chased with water, a couple of times a day. I also now add salt to my coffee and most food.

IMO, the easiest way to get sodium is just eat it. ;)

A salty bullion or broth a couple of times a day is a favorite way if many low carbers to get enough sodium. Some make "keto-aid" with sugar free Mio and salt; you can find recipes with Google. Others take salt tablets that are often used by athletes.

Salty foods will help but most won't get enough that way. Plus it is mainly the highly processed foods that have a lot of sodium, and people often try to limit those foods somewhat. It's a good excuse to eat bacon often though. ;)

If you let sodium stay low for a while, magnesium and potassium will go low as they are leeched out to replace the low electrolytes. If you start getting muscle cramps, you may need to supplement Mg and Potassium for a while. I believe some use Nusalt (?) to help with those electrolytes too. Be aware that magnesium can make stools loose if you have too much.
  • lempeck214
    lempeck214 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Betty925 wrote: »
    I am starting keto diet. Looking for keto friends. Also doing IF. .

I'm doing keto. Could use friends = support system!
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    "

Gotcha

@kimber0607

wow...didnt know!
    thank you

I had a hard time getting enough sodium at first because I'd been on the low sodium bandwagon for so many years - I didn't even salt my food.

I just jumped right in by eating half a teaspoon of salt, chased with water, a couple of times a day. I also now add salt to my coffee and most food.

IMO, the easiest way to get sodium is just eat it. ;)

A salty bullion or broth a couple of times a day is a favorite way if many low carbers to get enough sodium. Some make "keto-aid" with sugar free Mio and salt; you can find recipes with Google. Others take salt tablets that are often used by athletes.

Salty foods will help but most won't get enough that way. Plus it is mainly the highly processed foods that have a lot of sodium, and people often try to limit those foods somewhat. It's a good excuse to eat bacon often though. ;)

If you let sodium stay low for a while, magnesium and potassium will go low as they are leeched out to replace the low electrolytes. If you start getting muscle cramps, you may need to supplement Mg and Potassium for a while. I believe some use Nusalt (?) to help with those electrolytes too. Be aware that magnesium can make stools loose if you have too much.

wow feel silly I didnt think of that LOL
    thanks for all the help!
    kim
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    No problem. :)
  • greencarousel5842
    greencarousel5842 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    On Day 3 of keto, not doing fasting yet. It's hard, but I'm determined.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I was strictly Keto for about 6 months last year and lost 60lbs, and then I fell off back in December and managed to gain back 15lbs between then and now, basically because my eating has been out of control. I started back on Keto yesterday because I still have another 100lbs to lose and Keto and fasting is the easiest way for me to control my calorie intake. Feel free to friend me. Also, my diary is public, and if you want actual photos of my food, send me a DM and I'll give you my IG handle. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    "

Gotcha

@kimber0607

Those energy results aren't always temporary.. even the studies show the huge variation in responsiveness as it relates to low carb or keto.

The lower my carbs go, the worse my energy is, the worse my hunger and worse my performance.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    B
    psuLemon wrote: »
    "

Gotcha

@kimber0607

Those energy results aren't always temporary.. even the studies show the huge variation in responsiveness as it relates to low carb or keto.

The lower my carbs go, the worse my energy is, the worse my hunger and worse my performance.

True. But it tends to not be the norm. Most seem to run well on fats, but as you said, it is not true of everyone.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    B
    psuLemon wrote: »
    "

Gotcha

@kimber0607

True. But it tends to not be the norm. Most seem to run well on fats, but as you said, it is not true of everyone.

Ehh.. not sure i agree with that. Id say it more depends on activity level and specific activity. But thr individual can see how they react.
  • ksranch65
    ksranch65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Been doing keto for one month now. Down 17 lbs! Learning more everyday. Right now I'm focusing on trying to get enough potassium. Any advice?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    ksranch65 wrote: »
    Right now I'm focusing on trying to get enough potassium. Any advice?

Just type "foods high in potassium" into a Google search. Multiple lists will come up. Pick and choose those you desire to eat: spinach, avocados, Brussels sprouts, pumpkin seeds, etc.

You are probably getting more potassium than you think. It is/was not required on (USA) labels (previously). I say "is/was" because the mandate is "in limbo". It was required that all manufacturers with sales over $10M change their labeling to include potassium by July 2018 however that has been placed on hold with no new date given. You'll find that most foods contain some potassium including meat and dairy.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I have high A1C so I am doing the Keto Lifestyle. I love it.

I was able to mitigate the Keto Flu because I did a bunch of research and knew all about electrolytes. I hear that it is a nightmare.....glad I know nothing of it.

However, Keto is not a magic pill. People who go nuts on Keto (and I do not blame them one bit....who wouldn't with all the awesome bacon and cheese!!!!!) will gain weight - assuming that they put themselves in a caloric surplus - just like anyone else.

I stopped for about one week (a little more than that) because doing powerlifting while enjoying Keto makes for rough training sessions (well, it did for me, anyway....and, to be fair, I was way too early into Keto for my body to have changed over completely). In the end, I decided to put powerlifting on hold so that I could be healthy.

For me, Keto has been amazing. I know several other people for whom Keto is a God-send. They have medical conditions where the Keto Lifestyle is absolutely part of their recovery. Not sure that I worded that part correctly, but hopefully you know what I mean.

Keto is not for everyone. It is really difficult - for some/most - to basically remove carbs (okay....let's not get too picky with my wording here) from your "caloric intake". Everyone is different. Actually, not that difficult for me. And every now and again I will have a sandwich with bread (instead of lettuce wrap, as an example)....and I might have two or three Blue Moons (currently my favorite beer - which is not saying a lot because I might drink beer once a month....). Not the end of the world.

Anyway, Potassium/Sodium/Magnesium are def your friends when you first start....
  • psuLemon
    Options
    oootto92 wrote: »
    I've successfully dieted using both systems, going keto and doing variations of IF. I think that IF is the way to go as lifestyle, keeping ketosis can be hard job and to me it just felt like a tool that can be used to boost fat burning for a period of time. I think doing keto alone is not worth all the hassle and is overrated: You still get the same insulin spike from consuming a cup of whey than from any high-in-carb meal. And insulin is the main hormone that triggers fat storage in you body.

Just a small correction, there are multiple hormones that trigger storage of nutrients, to include but not limited to insulin, acylation stimulating protein, glucose-dependent insulintropic peptides, etc... No matter what you eat, your body has an unlimited ability to store nutrients. Otherwise, you would be dead from being malnourished. Thinking that you can eat keto and not have fat storage is wrong, especially since dietary fat is the easiest nutrient to store as fat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    philrtx wrote: »
    Maintaining a one-year 250+ pound keto drop for the last two years.

You lost almost 5 pounds per week for a year? What was your starting weight? Were you medically supervised for this?
  • lempeck214
    lempeck214 Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am starting keto diet. Looking for keto friends. Also doing IF. .