Getting Healthy With Your Significant Other

Options
chonce123
chonce123 Posts: 2 Member
So recently I decided that I'd like to be more consciously aware of what I'm eating and working out to lose a bit of weight but also to re-teach myself some self discipline, and luckily my partner decided to do the same after we've both been through some really stressful times. He's been a big motivator and also a well of different food ideas (he's a vegetarian of 25 years, I'm not lol). Have any of you decided to include your S.O. in your journey? What are some ways you motivate each other/keep each other on track?

Replies

• brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    It is so much easier when you are doing it together!! My hubs has never needed to lose weight (unlike me) but he is super supportive.
    We plan dinners together by how much of a workout can happen (long run, pasta with pesto or homemade pizza; knee hurting, spaghetti squash and marinara...)
    When I cook I make sure he gets the extra calories he needs -- not going underweight is a challenge for him in the summer, so that's part of doing it together.
    If he's cooking and fixes my plate for me, I can always interview him after and he knows exactly how much I ate of each item, and cooked it low cal.
    We plan workouts (long hikes, or runs) into vacations we take. We run together and talk about our workouts and progress.
    Just yesterday he said, okay, you inspired me, I'm willing to do a half-marathon just to finish it even if I'm not fast. :heart:
    It's a great road together, congrats on taking those first steps!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Planning and preparing meals together is awesome, I think.
    I hear a lot of people complaining (in real life and on these forums) about their partner being the worst temptation source because they don't really want/care to eat healthy and constantly bring home junk food snacks or suggest dining out near-daily. If your partner's eating healthy too, it's way easier to be on the same page. It's not like you can't go out & indulge sometimes but it's more likely that you will eat/cook at home.

My husband is a great cook and encourages me to eat more vegetables. I like veggies but I know if I was cooking everything myself I wouldn't think to add certain things to our meals like a bunch of roasted cabbage or diced celery, radishes in salad, and so on. I always love what he makes. He has been pescetarian for almost 20 years so that is generally how we eat at home. I'm not pescetarian or vegetarian but I am totally happy with that and mainly eat chicken & beef when I go to restaurants (sometimes not even then). Once in awhile we'll make separate meals and mine may involve meat, but it's relatively rare.

Exercising together is also awesome!
    We actually plan our meals out on Sunday and then walk (a couple miles) to the grocery store and get the foods we need for the bulk of our meals. We have cars but it's just kind of our routine & we both enjoy it. Obviously that's not going to work for everyone and a lot of it is related to the layout of our town & neighborhood but I just think it can be really fun to work in a little bit of exercise to normal everyday things you do together. A lot of times we go to different parks and walk, too, and on the weekends we do a lot of hiking or take our bikes to local trails. A lot of our vacations are centered around this too and it's awesome to have a partner who enjoys the same things.
  • ghostband
    ghostband Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A little over a month back I got my girlfriend working out with me. Just dumbbell exercises at home for the most part and its been really good. One of us getting up and getting the stuff ready is usually enough to get the other one on their feet and getting ready. And when I start grumbling about how much laterals suck she eggs me on to get them done (but seriously... they suck so much). We've been doing circuits, and as she's added more body weight stuff, I've added more exercises I enjoy to make up the time. Three times a week for 45 minutes or so. Its been kind of really awesome.

Calorie counting was a bit much for her, but really nice being able to share the workouts at least :)
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are polar opposites when it comes to fitness and weight loss. He does intermittent fasting; I can't live without three scheduled meals, all of which I track. He runs and is into team stuff like softball. I'm into solo workouts (yoga and bicycling) and can't stand running.

But I do all the cooking and have expanded my husband's palate enough that he enjoys more healthy food now, which makes it easier for him to reach his goals, and we constantly cheer each other on and celebrate each other reaching our goals.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    chonce123 wrote: »
    So recently I decided that I'd like to be more consciously aware of what I'm eating and working out to lose a bit of weight but also to re-teach myself some self discipline, and luckily my partner decided to do the same after we've both been through some really stressful times. He's been a big motivator and also a well of different food ideas (he's a vegetarian of 25 years, I'm not lol). Have any of you decided to include your S.O. in your journey? What are some ways you motivate each other/keep each other on track?

Yes, DH & I are on this journey together and it has been a blessing. I agree with an earlier poster who mentioned how sad it is when loved ones (knowingly or unknowingly) sabotage your efforts or don't support you. My hubby and I encourage each other when one of us gets discouraged. We remind each other constantly what great progress we've made. We flirt with each other - we've been married 45 years LOL! He's been willing to try healthier eating options that he was never open to before. I don't have to nag him about what to eat - he has amazed me by cutting his portions and making healthier decisions all by himself. And that is a great motivator for me. Doesn't get much better than that :)
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 257 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    We just came back from holiday and my OH decided he wanted to lose weight and wanted to "do that food app thing im on".
    Im all up for that. Helps in keeping us both motivated and i love the whole weighing food, going back to basics on cooking and the whole logging food thing.
    My OH has commented on how good he feels and sleeps and ots only been 2 weeks!!
  • Billbegood
    Billbegood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It can certainly help to have that extra support for every step of the way. I would recommend it
  • mariekenji26
    mariekenji26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My husband isn't actively trying to lose weight and he isn't into exercising but he is very supportive of me and we keep the house clean of junk food like chips, candy and soda and keep the house stocked with fresh fruits and veggies and all my vegetarian substitutes, even the kids have gone vegetarian with me. :)