smartphone help

Options
omid990
omid990 Posts: 785 Member
ok so i've been all over the internet and i still can't find an answer to that makes me happy:

iphone or droid?

i went into the verizon store yesterday where everyone told me droid was better except one employee who swore by the iphone.
it seems that everyone who has an iphone says that is the better phone and everyone with a droid thinks their phone is better.

if you have a smart phone, what did you get and why do you like it?

also, how is the mfp app different on these phones?

Replies

• ViciousReemo
    Options
    well i like droid
    cuz iphone crashes sometimes XD
    but in droid there are more options then iphone and its way cooler
    and i think MFP looks same on both phones

Hope that helps :)
  • punkindoesit
    punkindoesit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone and I LOOOOOOVEE my phone!! I do occasionally have some issues with it, but I think it's At&T.. not the phone. I LOVE the MFP app... it's so easy to use and now have the new part where you can just scan the barcode of a box or bag or whatever and it will log it for you. The apps for the iphone are really good and the phone is super user friendly!!
  • JulieTX86
    JulieTX86 Posts: 303
    Options
    I have never had an iphone. I like droid because I am on my mom's Sprint account, so i didn't have iphone as a choice anyway. :P
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    well i like droid
    cuz iphone crashes sometimes XD
    but in droid there are more options then iphone and its way cooler
    but im not sure how MFP looks on a droid but in the iphone it is really simple and easy to use
    and i think it will b the same on droid

Hope that helps :)

ROTFL.

Thanks for the hilarious post.

I went from a droid to an iPhone. W/ no regrets.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have a droid and I'm very happy with it. I've had a Iphone and gave it to my partner... that about sums it up for me.

The MFP app on Iphone is slightly better then the droid one though.
  • sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm an Iphone girl!! Apple, hands down!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Love my Droid... but the only reason I have one is because I was tired of waiting for Verizon to come out with their version of the iPhone. I'll be upgrading once my current contract is up, as the iPhone will play *much* nicer with all the Macs in the house :)
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'm an iPhone user but will try to be unbiased!

It really comes down to what you plan to do with it, how much effort you're prepared to put into managing it, and a little bit of religion.

iPhones do what they say on the tin and do it well. The support ecosystem is pretty good and the available apps are generally of good quality and everything tends to work together well. If you're already a Mac user, it's even better.

Newer Android phones often have additional features, are easier to configure to your own tastes and benefit from not limiting you to the Apple "walled garden." A downside is that that the more you do with it, the less stable it becomes and the harder it is to get any kind of support for it.

For both Android and iPhone, you may be limited by the carrier the phone is tied to (if tied at all). This is worse for Android as you might also be tied to the manufacturer too, e.g., an Samsung Android phone on Vodafone might take many months, if not years to get updates from Google.

Of course, you can "jailbreak" the iPhone or "root' the Android phone to remove all these restrictions, but then you are very much on your own.

The best advice I can give is to think about what you want to do with your phone and see which one best fits those requirements. Eg if you have iTunes video content or love games, then an iPhone is a no-brainer. Also, what do your friends/family use? What 3rd party products have smartphone support (banks, grocery stores, etc) and which type of phone have the best support, if any?

The MFP apps for Android and iPhone are more or less in parity now. Not much between them, but updates make one better than the other for a while.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i had an iPhone and now i have a Droid and honestly, i prefer the iPhone! i also think MFP's app is better for the iPhone, you can see your friend's feed and stuff and you can't on the Droid.
  • ViciousReemo
    Options
    im just helping the guy
    BTW i have an iphone too but it crashes like soo much that im sick of it XD
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I have a droid mostly because we use Verizon and they didn't have iphones when I needed a new phone. I've been really happy with everything my droid does EXCEPT work as a phone! But, the iphone has the same drawbacks from what my friends have said. Friends who have switched from the droid to an iphone are really happy and say it's much better. My concern with switching to an iphone would be that you can't get insurance (and I know way too many people whose phones have stopped working properly after the one year warranty is up) and you can't change out the battery. I'm having to change the battery on my droid now so that is definitely on my mind.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    So the droid has a flash player and iphone does not but you might not use it anyway. The droid has many more free apps available. But the iphone format is awesome. Just think of it this way, you get one you are going to wish you got the other so not sure if it really matters besides I am pretty sure with both you could run a small country via your phone.
  • MsCandyLynn
    Options
    i have had both a droid and an Iphone..the droid is more customizable...you have more options to make it more persnonal and most of the apps are free, the iphone is more user friendly more straight forward and you have to pay for some of the apps and they have some free apps. I prefer my Iphone over the droid phone bc i like the more simplistic use of the iphone vs the droid, but it really is a personal choice, but either one would be a good choice!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Droid. (EVO 4g)
  • leilahh
    leilahh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a Droid Pro and I do like it, but there are apps that aren't available yet for Droid that iPhone already has (though, this post prompted me to see if my phone can get the Netflix app yet and apparently it's been available for about a week now so that's good news). I wanted to get an iPhone originally but we have Verizon and they had a great deal on the Droid Pro at the time--plus, I love having a full qwerty keyboard. My Droid locks up often and the battery life is very short, but that is an issue with the Droid Pro from what I've read online.
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    Depends on which Android phone you get .. some of them are less friendly than others, I prefer HTCs overlay on Android 2.2, but others like motoblur better....

I really believe that if you're not a heavy/expert user and you just want something that works well most of the time get the iPhone

Regardless I would wait a bit as there are some REALLY nice phones due out in Late Aug through the end of Sept.

Most notably :

Samsung Galaxy II - best selling phone in the world right now, rumored to be launched in the USA on 08/29
    Droid Bionic - specs out better than the Samsung G2, but it's been delayed too many times
    HTC Vigor (thunderbolt 2) - supposed to be a killer unit with great battery life and an super high res display

and, MAYBE the iPhone 5

Even if you don't care about having the latest tech the price on the "old" tech will drop quite a bit in price when the new stuff comes on line.

I want to wait and see if VZW has an iPhone 5 (or 4s) with a dual core processor and LTE (4G)
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    this is why i cam to you guys!

all i found online is a bunch of specific techie stuff that didn't really actually mean much to me. personal experience is much more helpful.

thanks for the input!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely happy with my droid - Samsung Galaxy S - all the apps I've wanted have been available free, I've been able to customise it a lot, I'm not tied to annoying services that I don't want to use such as iTunes, it never crashes and it cost about half the price of an iPhone 4.

While the iPhone 4 is good, it's not that good... I really don't think I could ever justify spending so much extra money on it.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    I'd get an HTC. Personally....the ipone i have heard is not as boss as its proclaimed to be because everything as all apps. The HTC phones have widgets AND apps.Iphones are overpriced and overstated!

And i just personally dont like Droids.

I have an HTC Inspire. Great phone!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I'd get an HTC. Personally....the ipone i have heard is not as boss as its proclaimed to be because everything as all apps. The HTC phones have widgets AND apps.Iphones are overpriced and overstated!

And i just personally dont like Droids.

I have an HTC Inspire. Great phone!

rofl...the Inspire IS a Droid. Droid is short for Android...?