Clarification

Options
After reading a lot of posts, I am seeing that most people suggest eating back at least some of the calories burned through exercise. So I'm actually starting to wonder if I'm not having this issue. I work out late in the evening. So my calories are set by the time I go to the gym. I average 400 to 800 calories under my goal after working out. My weight loss is not quite where it should be so I'm thinking of increasing my meal calories over my goal in order to work it back down in the gym. That just seems so wrong. Am I making a move that can potentially help me or am I misunderstanding and about to make a bad move?

Replies

• Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It could potentially help, I think. MFP is already building in a deficit for you, so you shouldn't have to make one of your own with exercise. The point of exercise is to be healthier and more fit, so eating back (in advance, in your case) some of the calories may be a good idea.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Try it for at least 4 weeks. I'd bet money that it'd work.

I work out in the morning so I know how much extra to eat. I can understand not waning to see your numbers in the red before you evening work outs but I guess that'll make sure you HAVE to work out right?
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    During the week I plan all my day's meals out in MFP each morning, so there are plenty of times I'm "red" for 6-8 hours a day until I go to the gym after work, even though I haven't actually even eaten lunch or dinner yet. No big deal. What matters is when you hit "complete this entry" at the end of the day.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Your "Net Calories" are for what you burn minus what you take in.
    MFP takes into the exercise you do, thus your daily goal increases. You should try to get in the ballpark of your daily goal.
    If you know you are going to the gym that day, go ahead and record it.
    I find this motivates me to get to the gym when I'm not feeling it.
  • victoriashea
    Options
    You need to talk to Taso42. He'd have some words for you!
  • Chainsaw_Flowerchild
    Options
    Good advice agthorn.