carbs!

Options
so I'm new to dieting..and I'm confused as to how many grams of carbs I should be consuming per day? I feel like I'm eating too many..on my food journal my carb intake is usually between 150-200, is this normal? I don't really think I eat that much carbohydrate! Usually ill eat a normal amount of cereal, maybe one or two pieces of wholemeal bread throughout the day, and sometimes some new potatoes or a sweet potato with my dinner. I work out a lot too and try to keep my calorie intake to 1200-1400 cals.
Any suggestions on how much carbohydrate I should be taking in??

Just trying to work out why I'm not losing weight!
Thanks guys
:)

Replies

• CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Although MFP amounts are what the US government recommends, the amount of carbs is too high for a lot of people. In the UK our guidelines are less carbs (although not by much). I set mine in "goals" to be 25% protein, 30%fat and 45% carbs and that suits me quite well when I am exercising a lot. If I'm not exercising much I get on better with 30% protein, 30% fat and 40 % carbs. It's a personal thing but I would try reducing your carbs a bit and see what happens.
  • rsf218
    rsf218 Posts: 4
    Options
    The default ratios for carbs, fat, and protein that are on myfitnesspal are good levels to go off of. You can change them if you like in the goal settings, bodybuilders will sometimes decrease their carbs and replace those calories with protein, so if you arent' getting the kind of results you like, one option to change it up could be to reduce your carbs and replace them with some protein or try cutting them out of the second half of your day and eating them all in the morning or afternoon.... I am no expert, just talked with a lot of people who seemed to know something :)
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If you work out a lot too, are you eating all your exercise calories? You should try to eat most of them. If I don't eat most of mine I don't lose weight and stall at my current weight.
  • devineh123
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yeah I think I might up my protein a little and decrease my carb intake. I don't feeli have A LOT of carbs but 200 just seems a lot. I don't take in much fat either.

Usually ill burn around 400-500 cals a workout and I eat around 300-350 back. I weren't sure on that either, but if I don't eat them calories back I'm usually STARVING when I go to bed! X