No lost lbs, but lost inches

Options
So..... I weigh and measure at the same time every week.... Saturday mornings. This morning I weighed first and was really disappointed I had not lost even a lb. UGH! Then I measured and had a total loss of 2 1/2 inches.... (hips, thighs, waist & bust).

I guess I'm wondering why the lbs. are at a standstill. I never eat over my calories. I did raise them a couple of weeks ago because I read on several posts that 1200 was too low. Maybe I need to go back to 1200?

My diary is public if anyone wants to take a look and give me some constructive suggestions... I really want to see that scale moving in the right direction! This is the 1st week that I haven't lost at least a lb.

Thanks all! And have a great day!

Replies

• sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches, you are firming up and replacing fat with muscle. This is actually better than losing weight! Keep at it, the weight will eventually come down too, and you will be happier with the end result because it will be firm! The slower it comes off, the more likely it is to stay off! Your food diary looks good. You might even want to eat a little more, to meet your calorie recommendations. Some say you can put your body in starvation mode which makes it harder to lose, by not eating your recommended calories. Good luck! You are doing great!
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi - your diary looks really good - the only thing I can suggest is maybe more fresh fruit and or veggies for snacks - stuff with more fiber and less processed ingredients. Even tho' you aren't over the 2500mg of Sodium - you get really close to it. Do you drink alot of water?? I'm guessing maybe some fluid retention going on which shows up on the scale. Just my 2 cents - I'm not an expert by any means - LOL Fruits & veggies have a certain amount of water in them which will help flush out the nasty fluids. Plus they help you feel full longer and certain fruits & veggies have lots of antioxidents and nutrients we all need.
    Wishing you luck!!
  • Minniemoose
    Options
    My wife has the same issue. She was upset the scale wasn't moving but she kept telling me how much better her clothes were fitting and she could get into some pants that used to be way to small for her. Keep doing the measuring thing and don't worry as much about the scale. When you build your muscles and strengthen your core you will start losing lbs too. Good Luck and keep plugging away
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    DON'T focus on weight loss... focus on being healthy. The famous gymnast Mary Lou Rettin said in a recent interview she will not allow a scale in her house.

As you exercise you build muscle which weighs more than fat.

Feel good, look good... the weight is irrelevant!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches, you are firming up and replacing fat with muscle. This is actually better than losing weight! Keep at it, the weight will eventually come down too, and you will be happier with the end result because it will be firm! The slower it comes off, the more likely it is to stay off! Your food diary looks good. You might even want to eat a little more, to meet your calorie recommendations. Some say you can put your body in starvation mode which makes it harder to lose, by not eating your recommended calories. Good luck! You are doing great!

And on top of that, muscle is metabolically active which means it actually burns calories when it's not doing anything, even when you are sleeping. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn. Fat isn't metabolically active and it also takes up more space. Keep doing what you are doing and you'll see great results :)
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! I feel better and my clothes are fitting better, so I guess I'm on the right path! I definitely need to eat more fruits and veggies... that's been a struggle for me, but I just went to the grocery store and loaded up on them!

Appreciate all your advice!