So... am I be considered maintaining?

So long story short, I’ve lost 80 pounds over the last year. That was my original goal. I’m pretty happy with the weight. But my doctor and I decided that I need to lose an additional 20. I have been on a slow decline over the last three months with a small are no weight loss. I have not gained weight. I am on the slow carb plan that I’ve been on for last year. I’m giving myself an extra cheat meal a week. And that really is always a meal.It could be something that I really desire.
Salad dressing on the salad, a low-carb dessert,
The goal for the next 20 is to lose it over the next year.It may sound silly but I want off of the strict rules. Even though I’m still following them 98% of the time.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated

Replies

• MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    I think there's nothing wrong with maintaining. I'm purposely taking a maintenance break right now. Just to give my body a break. Then I'll go back to a deficit in a week or two or maybe three. We'll see. I'm only on day two. Try looking into a diet/maintenance break. It's supposed to help your metabolism.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    i read a really good article years ago, it included the opinions of diet researchers from the top universities. I recall one expert advised that people like you, who lose a lot of weight and get to a set point, maintain there for six months, then return and lose more if that is their desire. Two things; your body adjusts to the new lower weight, and you get relief from an extended periord of will power and when you return to dieting you can make your goal.

You have done a great job losing all that weight. (also..easy for a doctor to just tell you to lose another 20 after losing 80! ..he or she isn't living in your shoes).
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    first off! WELL DONE on the 80 pounds!!!!! WOOHOO!!!! That is a huge deal. Without knowing a lot more about your history it's hard to give you insight or advice.

If this were me. I would actually skip the "cheat" meal because it's probably stalling any other loss and I personally don't like restricting or spikes. For me once I hit my goal I just started increasing my cals slowly and my body continued to lose weight just at a slower rate. How about not using the strict rules but logging so you know where you are at cal wise? Choose foods you enjoy but log them and slowly increase cals. Include those meals you REALLY desire in your entire plan. Maybe it's a weekly calorie goal for you vs daily. I think if you do this you will feel like you are rewarding yourself for the 80 lb loss but still continue to lose over time to where you and your doc want you to be.You will also sort of float into maintaining and have a better idea what that figure will be.

Hope this helps and 20 more over the next year should be easy peasy and not so strict for you!
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    If you've been losing weight even if its really slow over the last 3 months then your not maintaining.

It sounds like your over 'dieting'. What about working out the maintenance calories for your goal weight and eating whatever you like within that calorie goal. That would get you used to what you are able to eat going forward and you will continue to lose weight.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Congrats on the 80 pounds!

Is the "slow carb plan" what's restrictive? Why are you on it instead of just reduced calories of things you like (hitting reasonable macros) ? Badly wanting to get off restrictions and having cheat meals are warning signs that you are using a diet that isn't sustainable once you hit goal. Hopefully, I am wrong.

• aupston
    aupston Posts: 44 Member
    Thank you for.all your thoughts......it really gave me something to think about.
    One piece of info I didn’t give you (just forgot) was that I am 5’ and now am 180. Oh yeah, i am 53-that part I always forget.
    I still need to lose more but I’m am kinda afraid of burning out and getting back to the higher weights again.

I really like the idea of doing maintenance for 6 months then reassessing.
    I like the idea of counting calories on the days I am not following the plan, likely the weekend.
    For me this eating plan has taken a lot of the guess work out of eating. My reasons for overeating was being hungry
    without a plan, not getting full when I eat and emotional eating.

Just another personal finding note. The cheat day-meal has taught me a lot about portion control and making better choices about what to indulge in. Why have a king sized sneakers when you can have a very nice real piece of dark chocolate?

So, my new goal is to purposely put more steps in my day....
    Add swimming to my movement plan.
    Stay on the plan during the week and watch calories on the weekends.
    Stay at 180 lbs
    And reassess everything in 6 months.

Thanks again
    Renee