I'll just be honest... (continued)

Options
Before I start some crazy debate on what I'm thinking... Maybe I should have some input?

I'm not saying I'm going to starve myself or anything and I'm not begging for attention. I'm simply saying that I'm going to be honest. I will try to eat right and enough. But I'm really scared about going over 1200 cals. My goal is already 900 so I can watch what I'm doing and know when I'm getting close. and I'd much rather be under or even way under than over.

Now, if this is somehow life threatening... thank you for the concern. I'm simply introducing myself as exactly who I am and will be throughout my weight loss. And so an added friend who will accept that is much appreciated. But to those who only look down at my honesty, don't bother commenting and starting arguments. we are here to generally help each other out. And I promise you being negative isn't going to make anyone happier.

Also, just a question for thought. How many of you can say they've never been fake or making promises they know they may not keep while on here? I know it'll happen here and there. But at least I'm trying to start myself off being honest with myself.

Replies

• jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I have been told that if you don't eat enough calories, your body goes into starvation mode and you can not lose weight. If I were to give any advice to anyone who didn't want it (LOL) it would be to google that. If 900 calories works for you, you maintain your health and you are happy then cool. If 900 calories does NOT allow you to lose weight because your body is in starvation mode, then why do it?

Good luck with your weight loss journey! I hope you find the path that works for YOU! :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Also, just a question for thought. How many of you can say they've never been fake or making promises they know they may not keep while on here? I know it'll happen here and there. But at least I'm trying to start myself off being honest with myself.

There's a saying, "shoot for the moon. if you miss, at least you'll hit the stars". Nobody is perfect, but if we strive for perfection and do the best we can, we can achieve outstanding things. If we aim for anything less, well, at best we'll be sub-par.
  • change_happens
    Options
    Before I start some crazy debate on what I'm thinking... Maybe I should have some input?

I'm not saying I'm going to starve myself or anything and I'm not begging for attention. I'm simply saying that I'm going to be honest. I will try to eat right and enough. But I'm really scared about going over 1200 cals. My goal is already 900 so I can watch what I'm doing and know when I'm getting close. and I'd much rather be under or even way under than over.

Now, if this is somehow life threatening... thank you for the concern. I'm simply introducing myself as exactly who I am and will be throughout my weight loss. And so an added friend who will accept that is much appreciated. But to those who only look down at my honesty, don't bother commenting and starting arguments. we are here to generally help each other out. And I promise you being negative isn't going to make anyone happier.

I love it!!! Sometimes these boards can get cluttered with people and their negativity disguised as concern, but really flaunted as sarcasm.

You will find a lot of encouragement here. The positive folks have the negative folks beat... hands down!!

:)
  • stevenc68
    stevenc68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hear you; I have this discussion with a friend of mine; he's a 44 year old male eating only 1200 calories a day.... while he lost 50 lbs over 5-6 months - he's destroying his metabolism...

I think you're doing the right thing, talking about it. and I am happy to do just that, let's keep talking about it... let's try things let's look at what you eat for 900 cals... let's look beyond the calories and add more proteins so you have fuel, let's add more quality fats - see how you feel... make small moves, try it, discuss it - watch your progress...

I found the below info from US Department of Health and Human Services in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans inside of My Pyramide published by USDA, they recommended the follow number of calories per day that you should eat:

So, we have a starting point... 900 calories and some guidelines below based on age... let's not take the information literally, lets find out what works for you. I am sure - we will find that more than 900 will get you to your goal and help you build some lean muscle that helps keep fat off (muscle = metabolism)

For a person who practices 30 minutes or less of moderate physical activity, the number of calories that they should eat
    Children
    2-3 years old 1000 calories
    Children
    4-8 years old 1200-1400 calories
    Girls
    9-13 years old 1600 calories
    Boys
    9-13 years old 1800 calories
    Girls
    14-18 years old 1800 calories
    Boys
    14-18 years old 2200 calories
    Females
    19-30 years old 2000 calories
    Males
    19-30 years old 2400 calories
    Females
    31-50 years old 1800 calories
    Males
    31-50 years old 2200 calories
    Females
    51+ years old 1600 calories
    Males
    51+ years old 2000 calories
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    what exactly are you looking for imput on? You say that you want to be under your calorie goal (which is quite low to begin with) and then say you don't want anyone to tell you not to do it. If you are looking for support in going into starvation mode, you will find it few and far between on MFP. As far as I am aware, this site tries to condone a healthy lifestyle.

I wish you well, and hope you aim for a more healthy goal.
  • patman1976
    Options
    2 important points, well 3.

1. Honesty is very important.
    2. You physically need more calories for your health and nutrients. This could be very dangerous long term.
    3. Most importantly for weight loss, your body will believe that you are in STARVATION mode at 900 calories/day. As a result, your body will hold onto fat rather than shedding it. I think it's time for your to consult with some professionals both psychologically and physically, as this will increase your success.

Best wishes, be smart and be happy.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about going over your goal, try planning the day out.
    I love MFP because I go in and figure out what I'm going to eat that day, sometimes the day before.
    If it's too low, I add a fruit or snack. If it's too high, I cut small things out like cheese on my sandwich.

If you are looking for a MFP buddy that will give you honest feedback and encouragement, hit me up. I'm looking for the same.
  • moosetracks125
    moosetracks125 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    the metabolism/ starvation mode it accurate. I have been watching what I eat and exercizing like crazy all summer and did not lose a single pound.....until I got on this site and tracked my calories. It actually tole me to EAT MORE! I could not believe it...but I did. I lost 3 lbs the first week and I am sure that when I weigh in tomorrow again I have lost at least that much again this week. I am already in some pants that I have not been in in two years!

Moral of the story.....do NOT starve yourself!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I think the lowest the human body can go is 1200 cals without going into starvation mode. Luckily, when you exercise, you "earn" the calories you expended. What a happy thought that instead of 1200 cals, you can now have 1500 guilt free if you burned 300 exercising!!!!!

Hey we all slip up and go over our allotted calories every so often. Just get back on the horse the next day. Don't live in fear!
  • katlady32
    Options
    That is exactly what I thought before MFP! I never ate enough to lose weight when I was trying to lose weight. I was hungry and lost heart quick, welcoming back pizza, ice cream, and breaks from exercise. I have been eating way more w/ MFP because I have learned to eat exercise and activity calories back. This affords me much more satisfaction with my diet! I lost 8 # in 3 wks and feel awesome!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    P.S. EAT THE CALORIES YOU EXPEND!!!!
  • PersuingPetite
    PersuingPetite Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough so let me clarify before I start worrying people. When I signed up MFP said my calorie intake should be about 1200. I think thats more than fine. I changed my intake goal to be 900 so I know when I'm getting close. I tend to go a bit over... pretty much every day. No matter what the goal is too. So if I had it set for 1200 I'd probably eat 1500. I'm giving myself some space to faulter over the goal line. I'll still be around 1200 daily though o_o

just... you know... clarifying
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    ahh.. okay! Makes sense to me. If you set it to 900 cals once you get close/hit it then you know to be careful (?) I bet that will help others too.
  • PersuingPetite
    Options
    jeffsgal105!!!! that is exactly what I mean. I don't mean Im trying to have 900 cals. I know thats crazy. Im trying to just keep careful track.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but wouldn't the "big bad red numbers" every day be a negative thing to your mood and feelings of self accomplishment?

Assuming you chose 2 lbs per week.....if you change it to 1 lb, and had a HIGHER number, then you could aim to be BETWEEN 1200 and THAT number, which would:
    1. ensure that you stayed out of starvation mode
    2. Keep happy green numbers
    3. Be a more safe attainable goal

so if it said eat 1500 for 1 lb you could aim to go over 1200 but stay below 1500, for example....
  • PersuingPetite
    Options
    Just a thought, but wouldn't the "big bad red numbers" every day be a negative thing to your mood and feelings of self accomplishment?

Assuming you chose 2 lbs per week.....if you change it to 1 lb, and had a HIGHER number, then you could aim to be BETWEEN 1200 and THAT number, which would:
    1. ensure that you stayed out of starvation mode
    2. Keep happy green numbers
    3. Be a more safe attainable goal

so if it said eat 1500 for 1 lb you could aim to go over 1200 but stay below 1500, for example....

I never really thought about the red negative numbers. I think this will work for me though... If the red numbers start getting me down though, I definately see where you are coming from and I'd follow your idea. I mean that too. Nothing worse than feeling like you aren't doing well enough for yourself.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Actually I do see now what you're saying. It's sort of like setting the alarm clock early so you can hit snooze a few times. If that works for you, seems reasonable. Probably worth reviewing your progress and results after a few weeks to make sure you're on track, and make adjustments if necessary. Like for me and my alarm clock.. I was once in this phase where I kept setting it earlier and earlier so I could "snooze" longer and longer, and that became a vicious cycle.