Too much cardio burns away muscle!!! Wtf!

Options

Replies

• RockHardAngel_777
    Options
    I agree with Rachmaree. You have to balance, BUT evryone wants different results. As well as, if you are wanting or needing to lose a somewhat large amount of weight, cardio is definetly something that needs to be a main focus. For those that are at an optimal weight and want a tone sexy body, it must be a balance. For myself I love the weeks when I do 20 min Eliptical, 20 min bike, 20 min tread incline, but I lift weights as well. The weeks I lift heavy weights, low reps, I do more cardio, the weeks I do lighter weights, high reps, I do less cardio. Its just a balance of all of it cardio, weights, food. You'll do many different trials and different combinations until you find the one that works and fits what your "goal" is.
    Have fun, good luck!
  • RockHardAngel_777
    Options
    Another way to visualize it: Ever heard of a "runners" body...well they are usually very long and thin. Thats not a bad thing, its just what they do...They run, and run all the time. So like I said before, it's just on what your "goal" is to look like.
  • kyleskrinak
    kyleskrinak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether or not you "agree" with it, it's true. If you are close to your goal weight and aren't eating enough calories, your body WILL find the energy by breaking down muscle.
    It's unfortunate when dieting takes on the same overtones as a religious debate.

Our bodies take nourishment from various sources as needed, Too much is made of factoids in general is my main point, and nothing compares to keeping a diary as you note your personal intake, exercise and how it impacts your weight, size measurements and general mood or perception of "fitness."

It's a radical stand I take.
  • jessicamiller25
    Options
    I totally agree with you and had the same problem. I lift weights and love cardio. For a long time I was tracking my food and cardio through MFP but not my weight lifting. I dropped fat and weight very fast, faster then I could gain muscle. I actually did not like the results. I got the wierd flabby skin around my hips and abs. I also noticed that I could not make it through the day with out a nap. Just this week I decided to decrease my cardio on weight lifting days (4x week) and leave my long cardio work outs for the weekends or non weight lifting days. I also am adding in some of my weight lifting calories to make sure I am nuturing my muscles enough to grow. I am always in trial and error but hope to see good results with these changes.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Do you really lose if you eat all your exercise calories? I've been trying it both ways, eating them all back for a week, and lost nothing. Then I kept it about 300 under my exercise calorie allotment and I lost weight 1 lb that week. It is getting very frustrating for me!

I have to eat most of my exercise calories or I don't lose weight, I stall.

I had to eat back most, and toward the end, all of my exercise calories *AND* lift weights to keep the pounds coming off at the rate promised by MFP, at least after the easy first 20 pounds or so. That's when I reached the point of diminished returns from cardio alone, whether or not I ate back the calories.
  • antheamclay
    Options
    Can someone help me get this right in my head.
    I need to have my calorie intake at 1200 but may burn 75 so I then need to take in 75 extra calories so that I still lose weight, not muscle. So to gain muscle tone not lose muscle on my belly, i need to maintain the correct calorie intake and do more weights not cardio.......is that right?? I may be confused
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem with slavishly following the "eat your exercise calories" tenet is not that it is completely wrong, it's that there is no way to accurately determine what that number is.

Plus, exercise makes up only one component of your daily energy expenditure, and usually the smallest one at that.

So, when someone says "I ate all my exercise calories and lost weight" and another says "I didn't eat any of my exercise calories and lost weight", not only could both of them be correct, both could easily be incurring the same calorie deficit per day.

The problem is aggravated by the equally slavish practice of using 1200 calories/day as the "standard".

Increase your calorie intake to 1500 per day. Do cardio. Lift weights. Be consistent. Take a "diet break" every few weeks. Do a mixture of intensities. You won't go into "starvation mode", you won't lose significant muscle mass, you will lose weight.
  • antheamclay
    Options
    Thanks for that!!!!
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I seem to find it an impossible balance. I'm a runner, but I'm coming back from injury. Yes I'm a cardio-junkie, not afraid to admit it. I'm doing heaps of cardio at the moment to try and keep up and get back to the cardio fitness I had before I got my stress fracture. I do lift weights, but just a couple of pump classes a week. I'm not seeing any weight loss results. I guess a large part of me thinks that large calorie burns must equal weight loss, but it's certainly not proving so with me.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Increase your calorie intake to 1500 per day. Do cardio. Lift weights. Be consistent. Take a "diet break" every few weeks. Do a mixture of intensities. You won't go into "starvation mode", you won't lose significant muscle mass, you will lose weight.

LOL, this is exactly what I do. I don't even count exercise calories, so "eating them back" is a moot point for me. I aim for 1500 daily, I do weight training and cardio...and I lose body fat (inches and pounds) and gain strength and muscle tone on a consistent basis.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I like to put my strength & cardio together and do circuit training. [:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem with slavishly following the "eat your exercise calories" tenet is not that it is completely wrong, it's that there is no way to accurately determine what that number is.

Plus, exercise makes up only one component of your daily energy expenditure, and usually the smallest one at that.

So, when someone says "I ate all my exercise calories and lost weight" and another says "I didn't eat any of my exercise calories and lost weight", not only could both of them be correct, both could easily be incurring the same calorie deficit per day.

The problem is aggravated by the equally slavish practice of using 1200 calories/day as the "standard".

That won't work for everyone, sadly 1500 calories is maintenance level for me, but I'm hardly average; for a normal person this is great advice. :)
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm confused now!
    when posts left, right and centre are saying you need to work muscles as well as cardio to help burn more energy but then you get a calorie deficit to lose weight - how do we still lose fat AND MUSCLE??
    I started MFP in January and by April had lost 26lb by eating all calories and doing a teeny bit of weight lifting - free weights - with lots of cardio.
    I fell off the wagon and have gone up a little and Im sort of stuck now.
    I'm doing more weights and about the same cardio.

If we want to lose fat do we or do we not use weights too?

Thanks and sorry.
    A
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There are a couple facts to this whole weight loss game that often get muddled.

1. When you are losing weight, you are going to lose some muscle. You can keep it to a minimum by eating plenty of protein and weight lifiting, but you are still going to lose some muscle.

2. You can not simultaneously add muscle and lose fat, with the exception of what is called beginner gains. Beginner gains happen when a very out of shape and overweight person starts a healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately beginner gains don't last that long, which is why people have such a hard time when they are struggling with the last 15 lbs.

It's fairly basic:

We need to eat at a deficit to lose weight, and while at a deficit you can not build muscle.

To build muscle your body needs there to be a surplus of calories; can you build a house without materials?

You are sooo right! The voice of reason! I do not eat my excercise calories. Seems too defeat the purpose. I am currently losing 1.5 to 2kg per week :)
  • Speedy89
    Speedy89 Posts: 64
    Options
    That is certainly the case...it is more true for certain cardio exercises though. I learned the following from personal experience:

Distance running burns your upper body muscle like crazy...if you do muscle training it will for the most part keep your muscle from being burned, but it will not build muscle if you are running long distances on a regular basis. Any noticeable muscle growth would occur very slowly.

Bicycling does not burn upper body muscle as much as running. I am not sure why this is, but I have a few theories.
    1) You are using your upper body/core somewhat while riding a road bike, which may tell your body to hold onto upper body muscle.
    2) Your total body weight has much smaller impact to your success on a bicycle vs. your success in a long distance run...your body may notice this, and so when you run it may be more inclined to shed as many excess pounds as possible (muscle and fat) compared to when you are biking.

And by the way, it is possible to build muscle and lose fat...Although this is more true when it comes to leg muscle, abs, and your heart.

Eat plenty of protein and drink plenty of water, and your muscle burn will be minimized considerably.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    This is about the only aspect of MFP that is lacking in my humble opinion. We don't see much about muscle building because it is so focused on weight loss. Sorry everyone, but it is a FACT that alot of cardio in absence of resistance training (weights, push-ups, etc) will burn muscle. That was OK w/ me (and I would assume alot of people on here) because I just wanted to lose the weight and figure everything out later.

Well, now is later. A little over a month ago, I switched to "normal cardio" (2-3 times a week at 20-30 minutes each), but put myself on a major weight training program. At the same time, I've been slowly upping my cals, eating much more protein, eating more carbs as needed, and focusing on muscle building/fat loss. My results are through the roof. The fat is burning off and my metabolism is insane.

I've learned the hard way that it is EXTREMELY difficult, if not impossible, to actually build muscle mass on a calorie deficit... something that often goes unsaid on this site. Hopefully, most of us will get to a point where we're more concerned with it, but in the meantime, I think a healthy dose of cardio, with weight training, and a solid healthy diet is great!

P.S. For more nutritional information and weight training information w/ regard to this whole scenario, I had to head over to bodybuilding.com because I just couldn't find it here. Its not exactly commonplace for muscular guys to get on here and explain how they did it. We have a few, but it isn't common.
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    You can get a break down of muscle from both cardio and weight lifting. However, on rest days from weight lifting your body builds the muscles back up to be even stronger than before. Cardio does burn fat, but whatever burns fat will also burn muscle - thats how it works. Body builders lose muscle when cutting, but they train hard to prevent a lot of muscle loss.

If you want to lose fat you will lose muscle. However if you are happy with the amount of muscle you have and want to burn the fat from the top so it shows through, you need to lift weights to keep the muscle you have as well as doing cardio and calorie cutting for fat loss. Carb cutting helps towards the end of fat loss as it strips away water to show more muscle definition.

I do HIIT everyday for fat loss and I do weight lifting to keep the muscle I've already gained on other programs - I've so far seen more progress doing HIIT than straight cardio. I have also found that I have had substantial muscle gain from HIIT and often get muscle burn from it but then I am fairly new to it.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    As well as, if you are wanting or needing to lose a somewhat large amount of weight, cardio is definetly something that needs to be a main focus

No. You need the balance. Weight loss helps with fat loss as well and it also gets the muscles in shape for when that fat is gone.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    So i am a cradio freak! I will burn 1000 calories on the eliptical on a daily basis, so why aren't i seeing the results i want!! B/C
    i found out that too much cardio burns away muuscle!! WTF right??? who would of thought? so i started lifting more and doing less amount of cardio and im already seeing more results!!! Any suggestions ...... xoxo :-)

any kind of exercise destroys muscles (that is why you rest to help them rebuild!)....anything more than 50 minutes of cardio is too much cardio! If you are burning 1000 in 50mins then bravo! If you are on the elliptical for 2 hours...then step it down!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Too much of anything is not good whether lifting weights or doing cardio. Moderation is always the key.