Questions for splurge nights

Options
Tomorrow I will be spending some time with my sisters and we planned to order pizza. We usually order a Super Supreme with a stuffed crust and breadsticks. I plan on only having one slice and two breadsticks and maybe add a few more minutes of cardio to make up for it, but I would like to hear how everyone else would handle this situation.

Thank you! :smile:

Replies

• CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I would buy some low-fat humous (or other low fat dip) and cut some carrots and cucumber into sticks. Have some of that first and then have your pizza. That's what I usually do and I end up eating less pizza but not feeling deprived :-)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I would bring/make a salad as well. Then eat 1 piece of pizza and 1 breadstick.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would have as much pizza as i fancied, be that 1, 2 or 6 slices, and then forget about it. tomorrow is a new day, and a few extra slices of pizza wont do much harm in the long run. enjoy spending time with your sister, the food is just an extra on top of that!
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    1 pizza and 1 stick and tons of water! Eat light all day too.
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would eat plenty of lean, clean foods earlier in the day. You will be full but not ingest a lot of calories. I would also drink 8oz of water about 30 minutes before you eat. Walk a lot, fidget, stand, be active. Sitting effectively halts calorie burn. So just try to do a lot of chatting, etc.. while standing. And, enjoy. Don't think too much of it if it's really just a splurge night and not a daily habit. :)
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    first of all, it's awesome that you're planning ahead - "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail" can be quite true when it comes to weight loss.

as long as you're taking those calories into account, then that sounds like a good plan. something else i would suggest - eat something beforehand, like a salad or some veggies. that way, if you're not that hungry to begin with, you won't be tempted to go over the limit that you set for yourself. a lot of people try to eat lower calories during the day (i am included in this category), but something that they may fail to realize is that if you are very hungry when you get to the restaurant, you are more likely to eat more at a night out.

maybe it would be a good idea to have some healthy munchies - carrots with hummus, air-popped popcorn, etc...

just another tip - i try to eat slower (which is hard for me!) if i'm trying to keep from eating more calories. a great way to do this is to engage in the conversation! when you're talking, you're not eating. thank goodness that my gregariousness is useful for something :)

good luck!
  • FriendsR4EverTreasures
    Options
    i would have as much pizza as i fancied, be that 1, 2 or 6 slices, and then forget about it. tomorrow is a new day, and a few extra slices of pizza wont do much harm in the long run. enjoy spending time with your sister, the food is just an extra on top of that!

I agree! Why do we have to be deprived during special activities like these? Have fun and start over again tomorrow! As long as this is not a common practice........
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

This. It's just one meal out of a what is now a lifetime of consistent exercise and healthy eating, I wouldn't stress about it.

Have a blast with the girls!
  • MagicandCastles
    Options

I agree, this is how you change your lifestyle not just diet for a couple of months. I for one will be having a curry and few beers with my friends tonight. If your going to do it occasionally when your reach your weight loss goal you should factor it into your current diet.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Eat lower calories throughout the day...not eat less, but just low cal... like have a salad for lunch instead of a sandwich and fruits/veggies as snacks instead of nuts, etc.

When I get pizza, I do thin crust chicken garlic with extra veggies (such as adding spinach and mushrooms if they aren't on there, etc)..that way I can have 3slices and its like having the same calories that u find in less than 2slices of other kinds... can u change the pizza type?

Also, breadsticks r covered in butter& r white flour, id just have 1breadstick..

The other ideas about snack items is great, that way ur not tempted to eat more bad stuff... could be salad, veggie strips, or even fresh fruit...or really anything...
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If you can, get some extra exercise in beforehand, if not, you can make up for it in the next few days, but like others have said, just enjoy the night, and eat what you eat, don't ruin it by feeling miserable cos you've deprived yourself of the second slice or extra breadstick or whatever. We all have good days and less good days, but if you are aware of your actions, then it's not actually bad.
  • HealthyAlp
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! I will try not too feel miserable, will eat light beforehand, and try to bring some healthy snacks. If I do indulge, I'll not worry too much. Great to know that others here are not against a good time. :smile:

Thanks again!