Sweet tooth and weight loss

Joy5434
Joy5434 Posts: 13 Member
Anybody have any tips on how to overcome sweet tooth and sugar cravings?

Replies

• Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Ive just posted in your other thread ;)
  • Crochetmama84
    Crochetmama84 Posts: 224 Member
    1 dum dum lollipop

1 clementine

Tea
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    I eat at least two servings of fruit every day, which mostly keeps my sweet tooth under control. When I want something else, I carve out room and have some.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    A couple of quick tips I can think of off the top of my head to manage (rather than overcome) sweet cravings.

1) Eat fruit and drink water. Fiber and water can possibly reduce craving/appetite causing you to eat less overall
    2) Try to avoid keeping sweets in the house. If it's easily accessible, you're more likely to consume more, which brings me to tip 3.
    3) A "eat sweets only when you're out rule" may possibly work if managed appropriately. The trick to that is to split it with a friend, spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend. You both get to enjoy the sweet but only consume half the calories.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I eat sweets but make sure i am in a deficit. I like the suggested ideas of not keeping them in the house and only having them when out. Also fruits are good for a craving for something sweet.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I agree about only having them when out to avoid temptation. Or just buy things you know you can handle.

I could make a box of 12 English toffee ice cream bars last for 3 months, enjoying them every now and then - but my husband will eat them all in 2 days. Meanwhile, if we bought a box of Oreos and had milk on hand I would have a very hard time leaving those alone and would probably end up screwing up my calories OR not eating enough "real food" and just eating Oreos. So we don't buy those things!

In the pantry at home we always have chocolate chips for baking, peanut butter, unsweetened coconut flakes, and a few types of nuts. A couple nights per week, I grab SMALL portions of some of that stuff and/or have it with a half banana and it satisfies my sweet tooth. We also buy cookies that are good with tea but not super-appealing to either of us. Biscoff cookies, vanilla wafers, small coconut cookies from the Asian grocery store, or others that are tasty but not so delicious we want to eat ten of them.

We like to go out for an ice cream cone a couple of times a month and I bake 1/2 batch of cookies or something like that, once a month or so. Maybe get dessert on a trip when we are somewhere with special sweet treats that we want to try. Just not a chocolate bar every day for a snack, and no bulk sweets (not even the ones that are supposed to have a nutritional bent like Larabar...my husband will have them 2 or 3 times per day and he's not dieting but doesn't need an extra 400-600 calories most days).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I fit sweets into my day. Usually ice cream. Tonight it's going to be vanilla with fresh strawberries on top.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    I have a sweet tooth as well and it's definitely a struggle. I try to find lower calorie alternatives (Enlightened ice cream instead of Ben and Jerry's; 100 Calorie Snack Packs instead of Oreos and other type cookies) or fit the real deal in my day if I have the calories for it. Fresh strawberries and blueberries with a dollop of whipped cream and a tbsp of Better than Peanut Butter helps curb a sweet tooth at times :)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Part of my goals for weight loss is to get proper nutrition, but I make an effort to work in sweets. I start by planning my meals around getting lean protein, fruits, veggies and lowfat dairy. Fruit is naturally sweet which helps. I also pack a mini kind bar (with dark chocolate) into my lunch bag every day. It is my mid-morning snack and is very satisfying. Honey roasted almonds make for my afternoon snack to satisfy the sweet/salty mix. I keep a package of single serving sized 70% Cocoa dark chocolate candy bars for my late night snack which are low calorie. (I buy the Green and Blacks brand with sea salt, and I let each bite melt in my mouth instead of gobbling down the whole chocolate bar). There are some foods that are trigger foods for me. So, I stay away from them altogether (i.e. Reeses pb cups are a no go for me. I love them, but I can't trust myself for proper portion control there). Sometimes I'll make the 123 mug cake (from the angel food cake mix and devils food cake mix combined together) and top it with fat free whipped topping. I also like the sugar free pudding mixes for mixing with fat free milk to work in an extra dairy serving.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I'm another who was helped by increasing fruit consumption. Eating 3 servings a day really helped reduce/control cravings for more calorie-dense sweets like candy and baked goods. After a while, many of the latter started tasting way too simple and over-sweet, not satisfying or desirable. I'm sure this doesn't work for everyone, but I've seen at least some others report similar experiences
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I love sweets too and it has been a problem. Like others, I don't keep much in the house and eat fruit when I am craving something sweet. If that doesn't work I will just fall to the craving and go get ice cream or something. When I am at work and crave sweets I drink Crystal Light and it usually does the trick.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    I have gone cold turkey on larger sweets (cookies, brownies, cake), and keep smaller wrapped sweets in the house. I have room in my calorie count to eat one serving of wrapped sweets (2-4 candies depending on brand), and that satisfies my sweet tooth.

Just because you are trying to lose weight/get fit doesn't mean you have to go without sweets. You just have to watch how many you eat in a day =)
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    I like to have something sweet after dinner. Something small like a few caramel M&Ms or Hershey's kiss usually works for me. I also like to buy Dove mini ice cream bars. Each one is about 70 calories. Some nights I'll eat just one, and other nights I'll have four or five if they fit into my calories. I also enjoy Halo Top/Enlightened.

Another strategy I use sometimes is to brush my teeth after dinner. It's like a way to signal to my body that I'm done eating. It might seem silly, but it works for me.
  • bertabugg
    bertabugg Posts: 28 Member
    I like anything sweet, I don't discriminate.
    As a former closet eater, I find a piece of hard candy can get me over the hump, my go to is lifesavers and if one doesn't do it I can have a few at 15 cal each.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited June 2018
    I have been eating Chobani Yogurt Flips for my mid-afternoon sweet tooth snack attack. They are around 200 calories and keep my sweet tooth under control with minimal impact on my daily calories. This one if my favorites at 180 calories: https://www.chobani.com/products/snacks/flip-indulgent/salted-caramel-crunch/