Fibre ... ignored or subtracted?

Options
touchdry
touchdry Posts: 32 Member
edited June 2018 in Food and Nutrition
My next confusion is to do with fibre. On Keto I am seeking to consume less than 20g of carbs per day. But when I get to fibre I am not sure how to relate to it in the diet. For instance, I have just bought some powdered psyllium husks ... the nutro info says that in 100g there are 8.53 carbs ... but there are also 70.5g fibre! So how do I calculate that? Do I not count the fibre at all (although most places I've visited say that I should subtract the fibre from the carbs)? If the answer is to take the fibre from the carbs then how do I do that with psyllium? Do I just say that, in this case, there are no carbs? Maybe it doesn't really matter ... but I would like to know anyway ... so, anyone fill me in?

Replies

• rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If they say it has 70g fiber and 8g carbs, they’re already taking it out for you. In the US, they don’t take fiber out of carbs on our labels. So, ours would say 78g carbs, 70g fiber and you would deduct the 70 from the 78 to get the 8g of “net carbs”. I know it’s different in different places and I’m guessing you live in one of those places.
  • touchdry
    Options
    ...Oh yes ... deepest France (well a bit north of Cognac!) So let me see if I understand you ... using another example, tahini, the label says 2.7 carbs and 10g fibre ... in the States it would say 12.7 carbs and 10 fibre, right?
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Yes. For the purposes of your 20g of carbs for keto, you would count the 2.7g towards your stated goal of 20g for the day.
  • touchdry
    Options
    Thanks rjQ ... much appreciated.