Options
13»

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Not everyone fits in the same square peg.
    I am NOT a daily weigher because that would lead to a compulsiveness which is not healthy for me!
    Once a week weigher for me and keeps me grounded without being obsessed! Weight loss is what I want not trends and physical reactions to food...physiology...weather...altitude..fluid..meds....etc.

I completely agree with this one! I used to weigh in daily, but ended up getting compulsive, and decided to quit weighing in altogether before developing a disorder - I ended up quitting all my newly formed eating and exercising habits too. Now I weigh in once a week, on Sunday morning, with the exception of weighing in on Sat or Mon if I’m away from home. I have only had significant fluctuations affect my weigh-in once since the conditions are similar ever week, and that one time I did a second weigh-in on the next day to see if I had estimated the situation correctly and my numbers matched (they did). I take measurements once every two weeks.

Extra bonus to Sunday morning weigh-ins: I often have parties on Saturday nights, and knowing the weigh-in is the next day often deters me from having extra drinks or snacks. For some odd reason, knowing there’s no time to ”make up for it” helps.

You sound like my twin! Too lazy to take measurements though...but....I get into my own closet and try on things every few weeks to use as a tool to how much sooner I will fit in my thinner fave outfits!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I weigh a couple of times a week but don't take it too seriously, I find it interesting to see fluctuations and compare it to what I'm eating.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I love data so I'm a bit weird and weigh twice a day. Right before bed and first thing in the morning after using the facilities but only the morning weight gets recorded. The bedtime weigh in isn't recorded at all. It's just because seeing how much my weight drops while I'm asleep is strangely fascinating to me.

The Dailies get recorded in a spreadsheet (for graphing, charting and analysis)
    The daily weights Mon to Sun get averaged and the weekly average gets entered into MFP each Sunday as my 'official' weigh in.

If I find myself in the bathroom and suitably undressed I'll usually jump on the scale just out of curiosity but again, this weight isn't recorded or even paid any attention.

I'm in no way advocating this as I fully understand that this sort of thing is apt to drive some people round the twist =)
  • PatricioMarcusNovotony
    Options
    Daily. Every morning before eating anything. My weight fluctuations can be correlated from how late my last meal and my sodium intake for the day to what I weigh in the morning.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Daily weigher. If I weighed weekly or monthly I’d still have to deal with weight fluctuations, I just wouldn’t know that they were fluctuations!

You only need a 2lb ‘down’ fluctuation one month, and a 2lb ‘up’ fluctuation the next, to completely hide an average 1lb-a-week loss.

And given that I have a not-entirely-predictable 4-5lb fluctuation every 28 days or so, that’s GOING to happen.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    im going to try and not weigh myself at all. I want to measure myself on physical fitness and appearance!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    como_agua wrote: »
    daily absolutely. i feel like a junkie going through withdrawal when i go on holidays and there's no scale!

Ha! Too funny. I am fortunate in that I am blessed and have a very good relationship with food and with the scale. I know when I have enjoyed life a little bit (like last Thursday) and I know what to expect (the next three or four days to be 'off'). But, I have been doing this for awhile. Not everyone is in the same place on their journey as I am so I totally understand your 'need'!

You eat water? I would love to know how in the heck you chew water! :-)
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I love data so I'm a bit weird and weigh twice a day. Right before bed and first thing in the morning after using the facilities but only the morning weight gets recorded. The bedtime weigh in isn't recorded at all. It's just because seeing how much my weight drops while I'm asleep is strangely fascinating to me.

I do that too - I always drop 2lb overnight
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    bluekarou wrote: »
    My plan is to weigh in monthly and once only, first thing in the morning. I’ve found in the past that weekly weighing invariably turns into daily weighing, which led to usual fluctuations derailing progress and motivation. I will also be measuring progress by tape measurements and pictures, in recognition of the fact the scale doesn’t tell the full story.

How often do others weigh themselves?

So by now you have probably seen the overwhelming responses for daily weighing. There are a lot of people that ride those daily fluctuations with relative ease. Like you, I am not one of them. I hate the daily fluctuations and knowing why they happen doesn't do enough to completely block out old nagging doubts.

For me the trade-off for not weighing myself more frequently is assurance that I am logging correctly and that I am in the ballpark of the deficit I want each week. I know that due to guessing about restaurant food or other situations the deficit may vary some but I can accept it because that is life and life is messy at times. As long as I am losing I can be okay with some weeks being on target while others are a under.

When my deficit shrinks to next to nothing I may have to revisit my weighing situation but hopefully by then I will have enough positive experience and less fat under my belt to handle it better.
  • opheliakcv9
    opheliakcv9 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weight at least 5 times a day, kind of addicted to it
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh weekly but I've recently started logging my weight daily as my Fitbit app gives an average weight for the week which I find really useful :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    daily for the data points and get a better trend
  • MrsJ1210
    MrsJ1210 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bluekarou wrote: »
    My plan is to weigh in monthly and once only, first thing in the morning. I’ve found in the past that weekly weighing invariably turns into daily weighing, which led to usual fluctuations derailing progress and motivation. I will also be measuring progress by tape measurements and pictures, in recognition of the fact the scale doesn’t tell the full story.

How often do others weigh themselves?

I find my clothes tell me a truer story about how I'm doing. Standing on my scales can be demoralizing if I do it too often due to the fluctuations
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Daily. If I gain almost exactly 2lbs from one day to the next, I know my period will start the following day. My periods can be irregular so this helps me from ruining yet another pair of nice underwear.