One for the girls: Pre Menstrual Munchies

Options
Struggle during *that* week of the month ladies? I thought this was a great article on it

http://www.justslim.net/articles/pre-menstrual-munchies/

Pre-menstrual munchies, cravings, yearnings, whatever you call them, most women tend to overeat in the week leading up to their period. And they excuse their behaviour by claiming ‘it’s because I’m on my period’. Does this sound familiar? There’s actually a logical reason why you crave these monthly munchies but it doesn’t mean you have to give in to them. You CAN banish the pre-menstrual munchies and continue to lose weight effectively.

Research shows that a woman’s metabolic rate increases before her period, meaning she burns more calories and therefore needs more food. It suggests the average woman burns between 250 and 500 calories more per day at this time which would be a delight for those wanting to lose weight if it were not for other symptoms – hormonal changes and cravings – acting to make you eat more and therefore negate this calorie deficit.

First, let’s understand what’s happening to your pre-menstrual body in order to address the issues.

Drop in blood sugar levels – This occurs in the week prior to your period and triggers the headaches, sleepiness and mood swings that so many of us suffer. What’s more, blood sugar drops cause cravings for sweet foods and if you act to satisfy your cravings then you will undoubtedly gain weight.

Water retention – This is responsible for the apparent weight gain and bloating that you feel in the week leading up to your period. Water retention itself is not a sign of actual weight gain, but rather a temporary response that can make you feel the size of a whale overnight! It’s the result of a drop in calcium and magnesium and can feel worse if you eat salty foods which act to draw even more fluid into your body. Furthermore, when pre-menstrual you will experience a drop in the hormone progesterone which will also cause water retention.

So, how can you banish these pre-menstrual effects throwing you off track physically and emotionally from your weight loss plan? Here’s how…

1. Understand your cravings

Ok, so you’re craving chocolate so you think your body must need chocolate, right? Well, wrong! A chocolate craving is actually your body saying it needs magnesium. So, reach for raw nuts, seeds and vegetables, all high in magnesium, to avoid weight gain and support your body’s needs. Alternatively, you may crave salty foods – the most deadly when trying to avoid water retention. This means your body needs chloride, which you can find in fish and raw goats milk.

2. Eat regular meals

This does not mean eating more in total, but instead avoiding long gaps between meals that will allow your cravings to take over. With my JustSlim weight loss programme you will eat 6 times per day, perfect for keeping your blood sugar levels more stable.

3. Eat more whole grains

After eating carbohydrates our brain releases the feel-good hormone serotonin, which is involved in mood and appetite. So, when you eat biscuits you feel good because of the serotonin release and not because of the biscuit itself. So, replace refined carbohydrates, such as biscuits, with wholegrain carbohydrates for the same lift but without the fat and sugar.

4. Eliminate toxins

Reduce your consumption of refined sugar, salt, alcohol and caffeine when pre-menstrual as these release toxins which will exasperate the water retention you’re already experiencing. Instead, drink herbal teas and hot water with lemon to create a more alkaline environment for your body and cleanse your system.

5. Magnesium Supplementation

Now is the time to take additional magnesium through supplementation. Magnesium regulates your blood sugar (which is why I suggested above eating magnesium rich foods when craving chocolate) and it also regulates muscle relaxation, to prevent stomach cramps, and helps you to sleep.

6. Take regular exercise

This may feel like the last thing you fancy whilst suffering PMS, but it’s proven to reduce stress and tiredness and raise the level of ‘feel-good’ hormones, the endorphins, in your brain. A brisk walk may be all you need to feel better but if you want to exercise to lose weight, then add faster sprint efforts, stair climbs and squat exercises to lose fat fast!
Follow this advice and prevent PMS affecting your weight loss success!

Replies

• Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this pity it wasn't posted last week tho lol
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump. good info
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    I eat less around that time, especially if I have pain... I feel so bloated that I feel 'full' and don't tend to snack. Good for me, I guess!
  • kbcakes
    kbcakes Posts: 84
    Options
    I agree - great topic, just a week too late for me, too! However, now I'll be prepared for next month!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Nice read. Thanks for posting.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this pity it wasn't posted last week tho lol

I'm laughing here -had the same thought! Good to know though. Thank you for posting!
  • karenp84
    karenp84 Posts: 119
    Options
    Great info thanks alot!
  • sedativestorm
    sedativestorm Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    NIce post! I always get the munchies a week before. But during I'm the opposite.
  • Kristinapedia
    Kristinapedia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been so irregular for 7 years now, I can go 4-5 months w/o one so I hardly ever get PMS, ;-) this time around I'm on day 48, Although I did have a migraine the other day. That's usually my clue. Seriously tho, I never really had "real" PMS- like the cravings, bloating, cramps. Never had morning sickness either. Didn't even know I was pg for a month. Had no clue, LOL.