How did you select the diet plan you went with?

Options
I had been on WW a couple years ago before they re-vamped it. I also did Atkins for a while as well before they updated it. I started doing MFP, and fell off the wagon. My weight is back up and I need to do something about it. I was curious to see how everyone made their decision as to what plan to go by. I want to start Atkins again, but I am also interested in looking at WW. I see they have what are known as power foods. Are these the foods that are unlimited? I like the idea of Atkins in hopes of busting my addiction to carbs and sugar, but I don't know if I can go the rest of my life eating no sugar. Or is that something you can add in eventually?

My word! Lots of questions. I'm so confused!! lol

Help!

Replies

• wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I think whatever you choose it needs to be for life. Diets don't work - they're temporary. Lifestyle changes do - because you keep them up.

I personally don't view what I'm doing as a diet - and I think I can safely say that most people at MFP don't feel they are 'on a diet'.

I am retraining myself to eat smaller portions and to make healthier less carb-heavy choices, because this is something I know I can continue indefinitely. :)
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I subscribed to Dr. Mercola's news letter and it has specific meal plans for your type of eating, *Nutritional Typing* It works well for me
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    I think whatever you choose it needs to be for life. Diets don't work - they're temporary. Lifestyle changes do - because you keep them up.

I personally don't view what I'm doing as a diet - and I think I can safely say that most people at MFP don't feel they are 'on a diet'.

I am retraining myself to eat smaller portions and to make healthier less carb-heavy choices, because this is something I know I can continue indefinitely. :)

This is also what I did, I started taking a new look at food and how I ate and what I ate and started opting for better healthier choices and a whole lot less all at once.

I did use something to help guide me to start, and it has the word Diet in the name but its not really a diet.

The DASH Diet was created primarily for people at risk of diabetes or hypertension or those with either. Its a lifestyle change. It focuses on whole foods, less or no processed foods and lots of veggies. There really isn't anything that is off limits, you just make the healthier choice. If you want bread, have a slice of whole wheat rather then white. If you want french fries make them on your own, maybe with sweet potato instead and bake them.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dash-diet/HI00047
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf
  • taovandel
    Options
    I'm not on a "diet" at all. I eat brownies, fast food as well as healthy food. I love that about MFP. Since I'm watching my calories/fat/carbs etc. closely I can eat nearly everything out there just smaller portions or on certain days.
  • sp53
    sp53 Posts: 40
    Options
    "The Four Day Body" has a n eating program you might be interested in--the author is insane but tries everything (food/workouts) on himself, has done so much trial and error. It is do-able, definitely. And fun reading!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

Same here! I still eat out and live my life, just careful on my portions and doing more cardio.
  • chellabella26
    Options
    I have been working on eating smaller portions, but I think that the only way it can really work, I hope, is to chose foods that you normally eat and make them work in the new eating plan. That way it is more of a permanent change. Some things I am avoiding completely, like sweets and junk food, but I figure that after I retrain my eating habits some treats can be added back in occassionally.

If you can do WW it can be a very helpful tool. A solid support system can be all the difference in the world and I have witnessed a friend lose like 200 pounds doing WW.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Any time I've gone on a "diet", I fail. I feel when you diet, you change your eating habits to lose the weight you want gone. But what happens after that? "Oh, yay! I've lost all this extra weight! No more diet!| And then you go right back to eating the way you did before... the way you did when you gained all the weight. So, this time I'm making a lifestyle change. I'm eating less, making better choices, and not letting cravings drive me to binges. I eat chocolate. And sugar. And other things that don't belong on a "diet". And you know what? I'm losing weight. And I feel good. And I don't want to go and binge on junk food every time I turn around. I'm also applying that to exercise. I work out 25-45 minutes a few times a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Because I don't want to be working out for 2 hours a day for the rest of my life to keep the weight off. I am starting a way of life I can maintain, be happy and live with, and that will be good for me. So, that's my drawn out explanation of the "diet plan" i am going with. It is a plan, but it's not a diet. But this may not be for everyone. You have to find what works for you. If Atkins, or WW or Jenny Craig or whatever other plans are out there work for you, power to you. You have to do what's right for you. All the best in your journey!!

Cheers :)
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I second that! So true! Those that go on diets don't stick with it and soon as the diet aspect is over they don't honestly know how to eat to maintain so they end up packing it all back on again.; You gotta find a healthier way of eating that you can live with If you cannot live without sugar do what I do I sneak in a healthy dark chocolate square full of antioxidant's and goodness as well. Only one a day works for me. I make a smoothie for my fruit and that is a natural sweetness, but I have one cuz if not I could easily over do it with the fruit. I get my carbs mostly from whole grains and keep them at a minimum and of course fruits contain carbs as well. I try to stay away from eating whole grain pastas a lot and when I do have them it is once in awhile and in smaller portions than veggies and even my meat. I noticed my weakness is cheese all sorts so I try to eat a minimal amount but don't deprive myself. Deprivation leads to binging and falling off the wagon. Basically I don't eat a plan just what is common sense foods like veggies, fruit, whole grains and lean meats and try to steer clear from processed foods and eat smaller portions. If I go out to eat I try to eat half my food and take the rest home and have it for lunch the next day. I hope this has helped. Good luck!! ;)
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't diet either.. I don't believe in banning food or food groups.. I choose healthier foods and watch my portions. MFP is my tool to keep me aware. If I didn't log, I would overeat..
  • Moop87
    Moop87 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I know it needs to be a life style change and you need to be conscientiousness about what you are eating. I was that way on WW. I guess with me, I just don't feel like I get much support. I know I need to do this for myself, but it seems like the support I need isn't always there.

Does anyone follow WW and limit their carbs? I am thinking that might be best as my mom is diabetic and I would like to avoid that if I could. Would limiting carbs help with that?
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I didn't select a diet plan I used MFP to plot my calorie intake and I still eat and drink what I used to but in smaller quantities and also I excercise regularly (not the Gym but walking /cleaning the car/ cleaning the house / Wii / Abbcircle pro etc etc) Basically a lifestyle change from sitting in front of the TV or computer for hours on end snacking. Diets never worked for me I got fed up with them but now I enjoy what I eat because I know I have worked for it 50 pounds off in 190 days is testiment to that and I know that when I finally get to my target, I have a get out that will let me hold the weight loss within a 7 pound limit and still enjoy eating food I like.
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I know it needs to be a life style change and you need to be conscientiousness about what you are eating. I was that way on WW. I guess with me, I just don't feel like I get much support. I know I need to do this for myself, but it seems like the support I need isn't always there.

Does anyone follow WW and limit their carbs? I am thinking that might be best as my mom is diabetic and I would like to avoid that if I could. Would limiting carbs help with that?

Different things affect different people but if you cut down on portion size excercise more (and therefore lose weight ) perhaps the likelyhood of diabetes would reduce. I suffer from Sleep Apneoa and whilst I don't have Diabetes, type 2 Diabetes is often associated with this because of weight issues. The best advice here is to ask your doctor if there is a link between carbs and diabetes. That said providing you stay within the parameters set on MFP you shouldn't "overdose" on Carbs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me I really never "dieted" in my life. I just learned how to eat moderate portions of foods I enjoy. Being Asian, there are a lot of different foods in my culture, a lot of them which would NEVER make it on an even moderate fat list! But since I know how to counter calories and understand how exercise correctly, I've never had to choose a diet. Guess I'm lucky.