Best Garmin watch for general fitness (running and golf)?

Options
Hi,
I would like your advice on the model of Garmin watch I should purchase. I would like it to be the Garmin brand.

I would like the watch to be able to record basic running metrics. I would like it to record the total distance traveled. The total time traveled. My heart-rate through-out the run. To show my route once sync'd with the Garmin connect software.

I would like the watch to record it to record the same metrics for walking and running. It's so, over time, I can see if my time is getting quicker when travelling the same route, or if my heart-rate is generally lower when doing the same route.

I would like to be able to have golf metrics included too. I saw a friend who had a Garmin Approach X40 and it was able to instruct him around a golf course (i.e. distance to hole, worked out which club he should use, etc..). I understand some models can do golf and running. Maybe the golf one has the basic running and walking metrics too.

I'm not fussed about split times, lap times, or anything fancy.

If there are differing quality in the GPS units and heart-rate units used then I would like to be informed on the most accurate watches.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have had the Forerunner 235 for several years and love it. But I know nothing about golf! It's great for running, cardio and spin.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    All of Garmin's golfing products are here. I know next to nothing about the golf features of Garmin products, but I do know that the Fenix 5 and the FR 935 are essentially the same watch but in different case (and thus the Fenix is heavier). Normally the Fenix 5 is more expensive, but the whole series is on sale for $100 off through June 16th.

In terms of GPS, they are all at equal standing with each other. I suspect the same is true with wrist based HR as well. Most of the golf specific watches appear to be golf versions of other watches/fitness trackers so I suspect that it is purely an issue of the firmware being different.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Options
    sounds like you want to stay in the approach line of products to get the golfing features you want.
    this guy does some really nice reviews: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    All of Garmin's golfing products are here. I know next to nothing about the golf features of Garmin products, but I do know that the Fenix 5 and the FR 935 are essentially the same watch but in different case (and thus the Fenix is heavier). Normally the Fenix 5 is more expensive, but the whole series is on sale for $100 off through June 16th.

Downside is the OP is female, and the 5, 935 or the 3HR (what I have) probably are too big for her.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have the 225 which I love for running
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Downside is the OP is female, and the 5, 935 or the 3HR (what I have) probably are too big for her.

But the 5S is probably an appropriate size for her. I'm not sure about it's golf capabilities, but it works well for daily activity tracking, multi-sport tracking, and general smart watch duties.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I have the Vivoactive 3, which does running and golf (I don't golf, though). I love it.
  • Loonie2016
    Loonie2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use a Vivoactive HR and love it for multisports, including golf. It's waterproof for swimming too. The Vivoactive 3 is the newer version that I'll probably be getting soon.
  • aokoye
    Options

How tall is the OP though? I know plenty of women for whom the 935 (which I have) wouldn't be too big. There are also a number of other watches/fitness trackers that have golfing metrics that are smaller than the Fenix series and FR 935.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    As pointed out the Fenix 5 is a great watch(i have one) and as much as I don't golf I know it does have the capability to be used for golf.

the FR935 is the top of the line running watch and the Fenix is more the 'actually looks good' running watch that has stupid long battery life. I last charged mine before I left for a 4 day cycling holiday a little over a week ago. it hasn't been cared since and is still on 40%. It was used to transmit HR data to my cycle computer for about 15 hours, has been for 3 runs while also looking daily steps, HR and connected to my phone for text notifications.

It really is an awesome bit of kit and worth every penny/cent! Got mine from amazon for £409
  • chocthree
    chocthree Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate them.

Don't worry about me being a female. I'd rather concentrate on which watches can doing what I require (see OP) and once I know that I can check them out myself. My partner will want the same watch too, so we may go for different models that can do what we require.

I'm not too fussed about the looks or the latest features of the watch. The VivoActive 3, FR936, and the Fenix range are expensive and maybe a bit OTT for us.

As for the FR235. I didn't think you could get the golf feature on that watch. Am I wrong?
    The ViviActive HR seems on the cheaper side and as you mention it can have the golf feature.

As I say, it is really just to record my distance traveled, the route traveled (on a GPS map), the total time traveled (no split times, etc..), and my heart-rate through out the run/walk. Then to have the golf feature too (install golf courses, records scores and club selection, etc..).

Thank you so much again.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    chocthree wrote: »
    As I say, it is really just to record my distance traveled, the route traveled (on a GPS map), the total time traveled (no split times, etc..), and my heart-rate through out the run/walk. Then to have the golf feature too (install golf courses, records scores and club selection, etc..).

Thank you so much again.

I think the golf is going to push you into the higher costs watches. At least to the VA3.

One consideration I had (going from a VAHR) in buying the F3HR is I wanted the durable lens. I broke a VAHR doing nothing special. Cracked the screen.

I wear mine 23/7 with about an hour a day off to charge it.

• aokoye
    edited June 2018
    Options

Don't worry about me being a female. I'd rather concentrate on which watches can doing what I require (see OP) and once I know that I can check them out myself. My partner will want the same watch too, so we may go for different models that can do what we require.

I'm not too fussed about the looks or the latest features of the watch. The VivoActive 3, FR936, and the Fenix range are expensive and maybe a bit OTT for us.

As for the FR235. I didn't think you could get the golf feature on that watch. Am I wrong?
    The ViviActive HR seems on the cheaper side and as you mention it can have the golf feature.

Thank you so much again.

I suspect what you want is any of the cheaper approach watch models and then a HR monitor to pair with the watch.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Thank you so much again.

I suspect what you want is any of the cheaper approach watch models and then a HR monitor to pair with the watch.

Maybe even a Refub VA1 and a Wahoo TICKR