Cooking Challenge: Yellow Squash

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the forty-second round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from Erindipitous, the winner of the jalapeno cooking challenge.

yellow_squash.jpg

This week's challenge is YELLOW SQUASH.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday August 13th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything but I really want to watch this and get some new ideas for my squash other than the same old thing as they just keep growing and growing this year :)
  • nybor101
    nybor101 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Fresh Raw -Yellow Squash, 10 cup
    Hunts - Diced Tomatoes No Salt Added, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Del Monte - Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes W/ Zesty Jalapenos, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Generic - Pablano Pepper, 1 Chopped
    Fresh - Anaheim Pepper, 1/2 cup (75g) Chopped
    Peppers - Jalapeno, raw, 3 pepper Chopped
    Garlic - Raw, 5 clove Grated
    Ginger root - Raw, 3 tsp Grated
    1 tbs. Garlic flavored oil

Saute' the peppers and ginger and garlic in the oil for 5-10 min in a soup pot.
    Add the caned tomatoes and Squash.
    Cook on low until desired texture.
    Usually 30-35 min.

Makes 10 1 cup servings.
    46 calories per serving.
    167 sodium.

I love making this and having it in the fridge for when you just need to eat something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    My squash recipe is super simple. It's 1 ts of safflower oil, cubed squash, sauteed with some salt, pepper, and dried basil. I'm not really trying to win though. ;)

I have a super fattening squash casserole recipe I'm sure no one on here wants.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :-)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Calling all yellow squash recipes!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    calling all yellow squash recipes :)
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I yellow onion, diced
    half a head of garlic, chopped
    4-5 yellow squash
    1 - 28 oz can diced tomatoes
    EVOO
    S&P
    Big handful fresh mint (can certainly use dried as well)

Pan on medium, add 1 tbsp EVOO and onions, sautee 2-3 minutes with some salt, then add garlic. Once fragrant and translucent, add rest of ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

I also make the same recipe but with cabbage. A whole head makes a huge batch, pair it with turkey meatballs and you have a wonderful, filling meal.

OOPS! I didn't follow submission rules . . . will do that later.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Recipes?!
  • ma66ie72
    ma66ie72 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    slice the squash into discs...
    dip in beaten egg
    cover with finely crushed saltine crackers ( I put mine in the food processor)

fry in oil about a half inch deep until beautiful brown.

I can’t make this recipe anymore because it is so delicious I end up eating the whole plateful.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    bump cause I love yellow squash!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Squash afficionados please note: The squash pictured in the original post is not your regular yellow or crookneck squash. Around here we call it gold zucchini, and it's hard to get because the plants don't yield as much as the green zukes and yellows.

But you know what? If you ever see it glowing like the sun in a produce stand with the lesser squashes, buy it. Buy a LOT. Why? Because it TASTES LIKE BUTTER. And what could possibly be wrong with a vegetable that tastes like butter?
  • trixiefly
    Options
    My favorite squash, green or yellow includes:

Ingredients: Squash (green or yellow Any kind really)
    salt and pepper or montreal steak seasoning (to taste)
    2 tbsp olive oil

quarter the squash and put into a bowl, drizzle olive oil over squash and season to taste with salt and pepper or montreal steak seasoning. Either grill or broil till done, usually approximately 10 minutes. If you want you can use the olive oil spray oil its really taste and low calorie only about 50 calories per serving. I deliberately left out amounts because it can be adjusted to how much you want, you can eat a lot of it for still very few calories.
  • jayce23
    jayce23 Posts: 1
    Options
    Chicken or Vegetarian Vindaloo (My Version)

1-2 C of cubed squash
    2 Tbsp of Patak’s Vindaloo Paste
    1 large onion, diced
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 red/yellow/orange pepper, diced
    1-2 chicken breasts (optional for vegetarian meals)
    1 can of chickpeas (rinsed)
    Saute onions, chicken and curry paste, add everything else, bring to a boil and then simmer until cooked, about 20 mins. Serve over brown rice, or eat on its own. I like it with a generous dollop of plain yogurt. Serves 4

Cals 185
    Fat 4 g
    Cholesterol 34 mg
    Sodium 356 mg
    Carbs 25 g
    Fiber 10 g
    Protein 21 g
    Sugars 6 g

One of my favourites, very filling, high in fiber and good as a vegetarian meal as well.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Last day to enter!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Summer Squash Pizza (from Cooking Light)
    INGREDIENTS: 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into (1/4-inch-thick) slices, 1 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise into (1/4-inch-thick) slices, Cooking spray, 1 (12-inch) packaged pizza crust (such as Mama Mary's*), 2 plum tomatoes, cut into (1/8-inch-thick) slices 1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely grated pecorino Romano cheese, 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil, 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano, grilled chicken (shredded)**
    DIRECTIONS: 1. Prepare grill.
    2. Combine oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, zucchini slices, and yellow squash slices in a large bowl, tossing gently to coat. Place squash mixture on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes on each side or until tender.
    3. Reduce grill temperature to medium.
    4. Lightly coat pizza crust with cooking spray; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly toasted. Arrange zucchini and squash over crust. Arrange tomatoes over squash; sprinkle with pecorino Romano cheese. Grill 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from grill; sprinkle with basil and oregano.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 165 (without chicken)**
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 8
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: SO VERY TASTY! It has a smoky, delicious taste if cooked on a charcoal grill. We added the shredded grilled chicken, so ours is slightly higher in cals, but if you only use 4 oz chicken total, like we did, it is not very much higher.

*We couldn't find Mama Mary's pizza crust, so we used a can of refrigerated traditional pizza crust, which is also 160 cals for 1/6 of the total product, just like Mama Mary's.
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Perfect summer pasta salad
    INGREDIENTS:
    - 1 zucchini
    - 1 yellow squash
    - 1C peas (thawed if using frozen)
    - juice from 1 lemon
    - 1/2C fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
    - 4C brown rice pasta, or whole wheat if you prefer
    - 2 chicken sausages, cooked
    - 1T olive oil
    - 1/4C feta cheese
    - salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Cook the pasta according to the package. Drain and rinse with cold water. Return pasta to saucepan and toss with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.

2. While the pasta is cooking, grate zucchini and squash into a large bowl. Add peas and basil.

3. Cut the sausages into small pieces and add to the bowl of vegetables, along with the pasta.

4. Add the feta, toss well, let cool in fridge, and serve.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 356 cals

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 4

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: Light, summery, crunchy pasta salad that's filling! One serving is LARGE :)

PICTURE (optional): Check out the recipe on my blog for pictures! Go here: http://notnotrocketscience.blogspot.com
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Yellow crook neck or gold baked zucchini boats

With crook necks dice the crooked part small and add to onions to cook.
    3 medium squash (approx. 8 oz ea or 250 g ea.) - cut lengthwise in 1/2, -scoop out seeds
    chopped onion
    diced sweet red pepper
    Roma tomatoes - sliced or diced (your preference)
    Italian ground turkey- 93% lean (we use Shady Brook Italian ground turkey)
    Stuffing - generic chicken low sodium -(we make our own , is lower in cal/sodium)
    Swiss cheese slices

Saute onions and red pepper in pan sprayed with Pam til translucent
    add turkey and brown
    moisten stuffing with water or chix broth
    Mix: turkey mixture with stuffing
    Prick insides of zucchini with fork (allows flavors/juices to meld in zucchini)
    Place turkey/stuffing mix in center of scooped out zucchini 'boats'
    Top with sliced tomatoes ( May add diced tomatoes to mixture instead
    Cover with foil
    Bake 350 -375 degree oven approx.35-40 min (fork test zucchini for tenderness)
    top with swiss cheese and broil til lt brown .

Calories Carbs Protein Fat Chol Sodium
    Generic - Sauteed Chopped Onion, 1/2 cup
    Shady Brook Farms Ground Turkey 93/7 - Italian Style, 6 oz
    Stove Top Stuffing Chicken Low Sodium (No Butter) - Stuffing Mix, 1/2 Cup (dry)
    Generic - Fresh Sweet Red Bell Pepper, 1/4 Cup (75g)
    Calorie King - Zucchini, Raw, Fresh, Medium, 750 gram
    Tomato, Roma - Fresh Diced Roma Tomatos, 1.5 Cup
    Add Ingredient cals carbs protein fat chol sodium
    Total: 691 64 42 35 120 1667
    Per Serving: 115 11 7 6 20 278
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sweet-and-sour squash

Serves 4(ish)

Calories - about 800 if you eat it all so about 200 per portion

3 tbsp mustard oil - (you can use olive oil but it's best with mustard oil. You can get away with a bit less oil if you need to)
    generous pinch ground asafoetida
    ½ tsp whole brown or yellow mustard seeds
    ½lb peeled and de-seeded yellow squash, cut into 2.5cm/1in pieces
    ¾lb peeled and de-seeded butternut squash, as above
    ¾-1 tsp salt
    1½ tsp caster sugar - (can use sweetener but this sugar tastes better)
    ⅛-¼ tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tbsp plain yoghurt - (0% fat greek yoghurt works well)
    2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

Heat the oil in a lidded pan over a medium heat. When hot, add the asafoetida and mustard seeds. As soon as the seeds start to pop - a matter of seconds - add the squash.
    Stir-fry the squash for 2-3 minutes, or until the pieces just start to brown. Add 50ml/2fl oz water, cover the pan with a lid, lower the heat and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
    Add the salt, sugar, cayenne pepper and yoghurt. Stir until well combined and cook, uncovered, over a medium heat, until the yoghurt mixture has warmed through. Stir in the fresh coriander.

This is lovely as an sidedish with a good curry or as a light lunch with some roti or naan.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Grilled Citrus Shrimp and Veggies

INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup lemon juice + 1/2 tbsp
    1/4 cup pineapple juice
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 sprig of rosemary
    a pinch of cinnamon
    1/2 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp chopped cilantro
    1/2 carrot, cut into circles
    1/2 yellow squash, thinly sliced
    1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper flakes
    salt and pepper, to taste
    1 cup uncooked rice

DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a rice cooker combine the rice and 2 cups of water. Cook.

2. In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup of lime juice, the orange juice, pineapple juice, sugar, rosemary, cinnamon, and sugar. Stir to combine and then toss the shrimp in the liquid. Set in the refrigerator.

3. In another small bowl combine the olive oil and cilantro. Mix with the vegetables.

4. In a small skillet cook the vegetables until they begin to soften. Place in a bowl and set aside.

5. Remove the shrimp from the marinade. Pour the marinade in the skillet and cook until it is reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 8 minutes. Let boil briefly. Pour into a clean bowl.

6. In the same skillet cook the shrimp 3 minutes on each side. Put the shrimp into the cooked marinade and toss well.

7. Fill the bottom of a bowl with rice. Top with shrimp and then with the veggies.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 355

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This meal was really delicious. I actually cooked the rice in some orange juice also (using 1 1/2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of orange juice). This gave the rice some tasty flavor on top of all the other delicious that was going on in this dish. The original recipe did not cook the vegetables, instead serving it as a cold slaw. Because I'm not really fond of crunch vegetables I gave them a few minutes over heat. I think this was a good idea, because they had a slight crunch but weren't raw. All the flavors tasted delicious and it was SO filling.

PICTURE (optional): IMG_5715.jpg
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    TIME TO VOTE!!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

Voting ends Wednesday August 17th at 5PM PST.