Trouble sleeping???

Options
YO! :) I have had trouble sleeping for about 5 years, about the time I had my first baby....I am finding that it isn't getting better--I've tried prescription medication, tylenol PM and now Melatonin...I do believe my lack of sleep effects my weight loss. Anyone have any good ideas that have really worked for them? I work out 6 days a week, so I am not lacking on being physically tired....HELP! I've come to dread going to bed just as much as my 4 yr old does!! :)

Replies

• glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    YO! :) I have had trouble sleeping for about 5 years, about the time I had my first baby....I am finding that it isn't getting better--I've tried prescription medication, tylenol PM and now Melatonin...I do believe my lack of sleep effects my weight loss. Anyone have any good ideas that have really worked for them? I work out 6 days a week, so I am not lacking on being physically tired....HELP! I've come to dread going to bed just as much as my 4 yr old does!! :)

I am in the same boat you are in!! f you find out let me know! I have tried prescription meds, melatonin, tylenol pm, buying a $2500 mattress, using ear plugs, putting black out curtains up, buying multiple pillows... been about 5 years!! I need help too!! so if you find out let me know!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I've been that way since I was a child. I don't sleep at night, but have no trouble during the day. Mine turned out to be a chemical imbalance. Doctor put me on Xanax. It's a low dose so it's enough to shut my brain down but not allow me to wake up alert at a moments notice.
  • Broken_
    Broken_ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That's rough. It could be a number of triggers that are causing it.

You might try sleeping with different noises. I know random television shows distract my mind and help me sleep (and avoid the nightmares).

You could also try getting extra sun during the day. I know that always wears me out and gets me to a "Mellow" state for night time.
  • sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options
    I have had insomnia for as long as i can remember i inherited it from my mother as she did from her.. and so on. I have never taken prescriptions mainly because they do more harm than solve anything. You just have to find what works for you. For example people thought my grandma was crazy for doing household chores at 12 but that's what worked for her. My mom watches tv until she falls asleep, and that's what i've done. It's more that your mind is awake than your body. You can be physically exhausted but you can't sleep right? You have to work out your mind. But in your case i think you can't put your mind at ease because you are stressed, even going to sleep causes you stress just because you can't sleep...
  • donnainstgeorge
    Options
    I take the Tylenol PM and Melatonin like you do, but I also need an allergy pill. So I take that at night since it makes me too sleepy during the day. I have to say "no thanks", to anything with caffeine, like coke, coffee, tea and the last final thing is chocolate at night. A warm bath, reading something boring in bed, and dimmed lights all help me.
  • 3trees
    3trees Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There's an itunes album and an ipod app that I find very helpful. It's a guided meditation to defocus the mind and relax the body. Really works well for me. The creater is andrew johnson. The two apps I have are 'relax' and 'lose weight'. The itunes album
    is "Deep Relaxation" by Andrew Johnson. Hope it helps you.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep can make it more difficult to lose weight because your body produces more of the stress hormone cortisol and just because you can't put as much effort into things as you would normally because your body is trying to conserve what little energy it has. I have trouble with insomnia too, although I am much better now. I tried everything too until I came across self-hypnosis. The CD I use is Paul McKenna's "I can make you sleep" and he really can. You have to use it every night for at least a week and you may find that it takes that long before you get a decent nights sleep but after the first couple of nights you should notice that it is easier to get to sleep and you may not wake as frequently or early. As you start sleeping a little better you might find that you actually feel worse to start with because you are not used to sleep. Bear with it for a couple of weeks at least, especially if you are particularly resistant to other insomnia treatments. It is also a good idea to read the book that comes with the CD (actually it's more like the CD comes with the book!)

It is important to try and keep a good routine. Something you can try is to work out roughly how long you sleep for (say 4 hrs), then decide what time you would like to get up. If you would like to be getting up at 6am, then go to bed 4hrs earlier (2am) the first night and set your alarm for 6. A couple of nights later go to bed half an hour earlier but still get up at six. Bring bed-time forward by half and hour every 2-3 days until you are going to bed at a reasonable time. This works for some people.

Of course, before you go to bed try to do something to relax you and if you have anything on your mind either sort it out before bed or write it down so you know to sort it out the next day.

I hope this helps, but I really recommend the Paul McKenna book and CD :)
  • Lisajoy1
    Lisajoy1 Posts: 22
    Options
    I should say too, that I get up about 3-4 times and always always ONE hour after I fall asleep. For pete sakes, it is really annoying! I think it has become a habit now.

HA! I do have to laugh at the suggestion of cleaning @ 12--I am pretty crazy when it comes to cleaning...I've done that before. The problem is, then I get too wound up....I should just do circles around the house then, eh?

GRRRR, just thought maybe I'd find a lucky tip today! :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have experienced several bouts of insomnia over the years; it is debilitating. I am sorry to hear you're suffering with this.

The absolute most important thing I have found is that I MUST go to bed as soon as I feel tired. I can't do just "one more thing" before getting into bed, bc as a mom, 1 more thing easily morphs into 30 more things and then I have missed that threshold and I am likely to lie awake tossing and turning.

I find it much more difficult to sleep if I exercise at night, especially spin--I absolutely will not teach an evening spin class. Melatonin is very helpful to me when I can't fall asleep -- 5 or 6 mg.

Valerian root might be what you need--it can be helpful if you need help STAYING asleep. Valerian is very stinky, but it works. Also, I find it necessary to have the room dark and quiet, door closed. If I am awakened I often can't get back to sleep.

I have enlisted the help of my husband when I am tired or have been experiencing insomnia. The kids need to know -- stay out of the room and let mommy go to sleep. If anyone gets up in the middle of the night at your house, you absolutely must not let them into bed with you. A few firm nights of carrying them back to their own bed (over and over if necessary) without speaking or lullaby or anything will save your sanity and make you a better mom by day.

Good luck.

blessings.