Help!

Options
I have a serious osteochondral defect in my left ankle, which prohibits strenuous exercise. My doctor even ordered me to go from full time work to part time so that I can stay off my feet as much as possible. (he doesn't recommend surgery right now because of serious post-surgical side effects for me) This morning, I hurt my RIGHT ankle. I know I need to (and want to) exercise, but I am not sure of options to me if I can't be on my feet for a long period of time. Any ideas???

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Do side crunches :) Video here (that's not me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a8mrOpdPFg
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    My gym runs a Deep Water Aerobic class this is great for people who can't put weight on their joints. It doesn't matter if you can't swim (as long as you are not afraid to be out of your depth) as everyone wears a boyancy aid. I don't have a joint problem I just love it for the work out it gives me and its fun.

Of course you need to check with your doc before taking on any class but water aerobics could be the way to go and it really is great fun.
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    Do you have access to a swimming pool? Around here, some of the hotels allow "the locals" to use their pools--sometimes for a small fee.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    oky dokey....

if you have a pool you can put a float under your legs and swim with just your arms...if it doesnt injure you further you can swim... if that is not an option... there are a lot of others

1. chair dancing...Richard Simmons even has a cardio workout for those in a wheelchair on DVD
    2. a lot of abdomen and pilates work does not require you to weight bear
    3. if you can stand, but not jump or run...boxing moves will really get your heart rate up...wiii has a good program I am told...or you can just throw punches
    4. modified pushups on your knees...and most ab work does not require you to wt bear...

I was in a cast and non wt bearing for months due to acchilles surgery and I was still able to get some cardio workout in...be creative...
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Here are some more ideas....

Roller Chair Workout: (Great if you can't walk or stand)

Find an open area without carpet.

Use a chair with wheels or casters on the bottom.

Put on music (optional).

Propel yourself using arms, legs, or both around the area.

Start at one minute and build your endurance.

Bed Dancing/Chair Dancing/Ball Dancing:

Turn on some music.

Sit in bed, on a chair, or on a stability ball.

Now move! Dance, wave your arms, wiggle your hips, make figure eights, bounce, tap your feet and have fun.

These movements will strengthen your body to get up and around better. Try some wrist or ankle weights, or resistance bands to work in some resistance if you want. It's your workout, your fun time.

Hula Hands and Hips:

Get 2 Frisbee rings or small hula hoops. (They sell Pilates rings at stores.)

Put them around your wrists and try to make them spin in circles.

Think wrist/hand hula hooping and you will get it.

Likewise, sit on a stability ball and make figure eights with your hips.

Hula dance! You can even get your arms in on the action.

Both are fun and will get your heart rate up even if you can't stand.

Aerobic and Resistance Cleaning

Put on some music.

Get your vacuum. Heavier sweepers require more resistance, but the lighter ones get some speed going.

Now sweep! If you are walking impaired, the sweeper can act as a support. Move as fast and as much as you can COMFORTABLY, without pain. Aim for one room a day. Remember, any object you push or pull is resistance.

put on some fun music and while you are cleaning wiggle your bum...swing your broom like a dance partner...lots of fun ways to get your cardio in.....

Adapt any of your cleaning routines the same way.

Move to the music and amp up your pace.
  • TheKatzMeow77
    Options
    My boyfriend is paraplegic and he does the handbike and hand weights. For lower half the suggestions of pool exercises are fabulous! Good luck sweetie :))