Birthday Guilt

Options
Nikki_Lee12
Nikki_Lee12 Posts: 45 Member
edited June 2018 in Motivation and Support
Today is my birthday and I am already feeling guilty because I skipped the gym this morning and had breakfast in bed.
I also got surprised with a cake at work and am going out to eat for lunch AND dinner. I love that everyone wants to celebrate me, but I have recently really focused in on losing weight and don't want to lose all my progress.
HELP =(

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I take a diet break around my birthday. That's the last day I want to think about sticking to my calories. Enjoy yourself today and just pick up tomorrow.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Happy Birthday! And I can totally appreciate how you feel- that was me last month. That's great that you are focused, but don't be so hard on yourself, allow yourself to cheat today and just get right back on track tomorrow. One day will not undo every single pound you've lost. It will all be okay, I promise you that! Who knows, you might be surprised and not gain anything. And if you do, it's okay- it will come right back off! Don't worry, don't stress about it, and just get right back to it tomorrow. You got this.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    brownnl121 wrote: »
    Today is my birthday and I am already feeling guilty because I skipped the gym this morning and had breakfast in bed.
    I also got surprised with a cake at work and am going out to eat for lunch AND dinner. I love that everyone wants to celebrate me, but I have recently really focused in on losing weight and don't want to lose all my progress.
    HELP =(

Hey, it's my birthday today as well. Happy birthday. Enjoy your day, knowing you will be back at it tomorrow.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

My wife surprised me with a weekend trip to NYC for my birthday last year. We didn't go to the gym, we walked around, and ate everything that I really really wanted.

I enjoyed every bit of it, and got back to the grindstone the following Tuesday.

It's ok to take little, meaningful breaks. Be picky about what you eat. Take a few bites and if it's not the best cake you've had, if it's not WORTHY of celebrating YOUR birthday, you don't owe anyone to eat the whole thing. And heck, even if it's not, do what YOU want to do. Celebrate.

You can also celebrate by eating some vegetables and lean protein to make you feel fuller so you can enjoy the other stuff.

Anyway.

Lots of random, seemingly, incongruous advice.

But FWIW, I weigh 10lbs less this year than I did then. Play the long game.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree that birthday calories don't count.

Enjoy your day, get back to a deficit tomorrow and don't weigh yourself!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!

and dont feel guilty, 1 day, even 2 days you cant do much damage, if you have been in a deficit you will be low on glycogen so a lot of those extra calories will just be used to refill supplies .... any excess left will add a minuscule amount of fat to storage.

add this to the whole point of being in a deficit is to loose the weight gained from enjoying yourself on vacation, birthdays and celebrations ... its genius in it simplicity. Go on holiday, eat and drink loads and do nothing, put on a few lbs, come back, eat at a deficit for a few weeks, maintain for a few weeks, go back on holiday and gain ... wash rinse repeat.

Enjoy your birthday, with in a week you will be back to where you were
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    HELP =(

Happy Birthday...

You don't lose all of your progress in one day. Just as one day of dieting isn't going to have an impact on weight loss, one day of indulgence isn't going to unravel everything. Think logically here.

You need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture...don't drown in the minutia of day to day...look at what you're doing overall...what you're doing most of the time is what is important, not a day or occasion.

Also, missing workouts happens because life happens...it's not all or nothing, you need to dump that mentality quick. You don't have to and really shouldn't hit the gym everyday anyway.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    One slightly higher day will not ruin everything. It takes consistantly going over your maintenance calories to gain fat.
    You might temporarily retain water or have excess waste in your system if you eat differently than normal. Maybe don't hop on the scale the morning after if it will upset you to see that.
    Have a great day and don't stress about it.

• Nikki_Lee12
    Options
    HELP =(

This is real life. Birthdays happen. Rest days happen.

Calories on your birthday don't count, anyway.

Get back to it tomorrow.

Don't be surprised if your scale number jumps a bit tomorrow. Recognize that it is extra sodium/food, and will drop back off when you get back to plan for a couple days.

EDIT: Happy birthday, BTW! Enjoy your day!

Thank you so much! I was able to let go after work and enjoy myself and not worry so much.
  • Nikki_Lee12
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    HELP =(

Hey, it's my birthday today as well. Happy birthday. Enjoy your day, knowing you will be back at it tomorrow.

Happy Birthday, Birthday twin!Thank you :)
  • Nikki_Lee12
    Options
    Everyone who replied on this chain helped me more than they know! After reading all these comments I didnt log in one more time and just decided to enjoy my night.
    Thank you all, I appreciate this community so much!