How to avoid quitting 2 days in?

Options
So I tend to struggle sticking with counting only after 1 day or two, and then falling off the bandwagon and eating whatever until Monday rolls around again, only to repeat the same pattern and fall off by Tuesday night. Would like to know how to push through these pit falls, how to avoid caving in and totally going off the rails every week? what's worked for you? Thanks.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Cliche for sure...but I just did it and exercised some discipline.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Cliche for sure...but I just did it and exercised some discipline.

how many calories does that burn?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    @mjc8080,

Do you have reasonable expectations for weight loss?

Do you have a reasonable and sustainable eating plan?

Do you restrict certain "bad" foods?

Are you eating enough?
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Discipline is the key. It trumps motivation every time. But I figured out pretty quick that having a plan makes it easier to have discipline which then makes it easier to keep motivation going from your incremental successes.

I think most of us start out by logging food as we go each day. Pre-planning and pre-logging your food makes tracking a lot quicker. For me, I've prepped at least two and sometimes all three of my meals and my snacks since before I ever tried to lose weight. By making all my food for the week on Sunday, I basically only have to log once and then just update with any changes that come up. That makes counting and logging (and cooking and eating!) much less tedious. Same with exercise. I get everything ready the night before, so I don't have to think about what to wear and did I remember to pack everything when I get ready in the morning.

In short, make a plan that makes it as easy as possible to meet your goals, then just focus on executing the plan.
  • mjc8080
    mjc8080 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose, so I put 2 lbs a week, but family says to do only 1 lb a week so I don't feel overwhelmed. I think I have a reasonable eating plan, eat whatever, and try to incorporate fruits and veggies as much as I can. I don't restrict bad foods, been on the Atkins yo yo diet before, can't eat like that forever. I don't know if I'm eating enough, that's why not sure if 2lbs a week or 1 lb a week is better? I need to lose about 150 lbs to hit my goal weight.
    @mjc8080,

Are you eating enough?

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    mjc8080 wrote: »
    I have a lot of weight to lose, so I put 2 lbs a week, but family says to do only 1 lb a week so I don't feel overwhelmed. I think I have a reasonable eating plan, eat whatever, and try to incorporate fruits and veggies as much as I can. I don't restrict bad foods, been on the Atkins yo yo diet before, can't eat like that forever. I don't know if I'm eating enough, that's why not sure if 2lbs a week or 1 lb a week is better? I need to lose about 150 lbs to hit my goal weight.
    @mjc8080,

Are you eating enough?
    Maybe start with 1lb/week for now or even at maintenance for a week or two. Get a solid handle on logging. Then review those logs to see what adjustments you can make that will help you reach a lower calorie goal without feeling deprived. Then make small sustainable adjustments. It's a long haul game, so you need both patience and forgiveness with yourself. If you have a rough day, restart tomorrow, not Monday. Plan for success. There are lots of greatest do that. Personally, I like batch cooking (use the recipe builder and add as you cook) then freeze in single serving sizes. Grab and go lunches that you already know the calorie count for.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    What are you doing as a diet that's so awful that you don't want to do it for more than 1 day?
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    First of all if you can be patient 1 pound a week will be easier. As your weight drops you will have to lower your calories to continue to lose. If you start low you will feel like you have no where to go. The truth is you would just lose slower but you might get frustrated about it.

Other things that have helped me were to be very careful about how much carb and sugar I ate. I'm not doing low carb, I'm just being sure to balance my diet. Whenever I find I'm getting out of control (I'm on maintenance now) I look at how much protein and veggies I'm eating. Usually I'll find that all my snacks have been carbs and that I skipped making any vegetables for dinner etc. I'm about 2.5 years in now and can see the pattern whenever I feel like I'm hungry all the time.

One other thing is to take a look at when you eat if you are hungry or if it is emotional. Maybe try to find something to burn off the emotions other than eating. I still catch myself eating when I'm upset. A long brisk walk can do wonders.

As you start to see results you will get more motivated and it does get a little easier. Maintenance is a whole other story, lol but by then you don't want to gain it back. Hang in there you can do it.
  • mjc8080
    mjc8080 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First of all if you can be patient 1 pound a week will be easier. As your weight drops you will have to lower your calories to continue to lose. If you start low you will feel like you have no where to go. The truth is you would just lose slower but you might get frustrated about it.

Other things that have helped me were to be very careful about how much carb and sugar I ate. I'm not doing low carb, I'm just being sure to balance my diet. Whenever I find I'm getting out of control (I'm on maintenance now) I look at how much protein and veggies I'm eating. Usually I'll find that all my snacks have been carbs and that I skipped making any vegetables for dinner etc. I'm about 2.5 years in now and can see the pattern whenever I feel like I'm hungry all the time.

One other thing is to take a look at when you eat if you are hungry or if it is emotional. Maybe try to find something to burn off the emotions other than eating. I still catch myself eating when I'm upset. A long brisk walk can do wonders.

As you start to see results you will get more motivated and it does get a little easier. Maintenance is a whole other story, lol but by then you don't want to gain it back. Hang in there you can do it.

So you are suggesting I do 1 lb a week? And stick with 1 lb a week throughout the whole process? I guess 1lb a week is better than 0 lbs a week if I'm always hungry and giving up!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Food diary.

It’s a thing to do. Do it no matter what. Eating too much is not a reason to abandon your diary. The accountability is right there.

Calorie counting is a pain at first. Stick with it, it gets easier.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    It's called commitment. If you don't have it, then you'll fall off no matter how positively you think. Commitment gets you through the negative times.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you are struggling with 2 pounds then it's better to take your time but get there eventually. It took me a year to lose the last 20 pounds! But by that point I was down quite a bit and wasn't stressing about it anymore. With 150 pounds to go you might find it really hard to stick to it if you are struggling already. Like you say 1 pound a week is better than 0 pounds. ;-)

The other thing that may happen is as you drop lower you will get more motivated and cut back more or you might start exercising and that increases the calories you can eat and still lose weight. All I ever did for exercise was walk but that gave me more calories and also made me feel better. I still try to get at least 8000 steps a day. I had to start alot lower than that tho, lol. Everything I did I started slow and worked up until it became normal for me. So far I've kept 106 pounds off from my highest weight (pre mfp).

At the start it's hard to believe it will really happen. But I'm here to tell you it will. Go to success stories and you will see loads of folks who have made it. It seems overwhelming at the beginning but each pound that drops off brings you closer to your goal.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Pay as you go. In the beginning, track after every meal to hold yourself accountable. Don't wait until bedtime. I don't know what protocol you're following but doing everything on my own terms has made all of the difference for me. I can't/don't want to follow anyone else's meal plan. I created my plan with foods I enjoy.

Muscle mass is the foundation of a fit body. Rapid, radical or quick weight loss is not. Your positive satiety levels are a necessary prerequisite for sticking to your plan. If you are constantly hungry, you will give up quicker. Eat foods with lots of volume. Roasted or steamed vege. Oatmeal with grated apples or berries. Salads with berries thrown in, omelettes with vegetables. A serving of carb with all kinds of vege and quality proteins. Heavy on the vege as you tool along, you'll get more bang for your bucks.

Make yourself some fruit infused drinking water and cold teas for the summer. Really live it up and make some smoothies for the hot days. Nut milks or greek/icelandic yogurts. Cucumber or lime. Vanilla bean. Buttermilk with cinnamon or nutmeg or lemon juice. Add a handful of nuts. Savory ones are good, too. Bell pepper and chili pepper with plain yogurt. Make some fresh gazpacho or pesto. A fresh herb dip for your vege. There's overnight oats with fruit and a tad of nuts.

It's all fun. Really.

Tiny steps for tiny feet. Get one day under your belt and the momentum builds. Momentum is a gift. Ride your wave and keep going until such time you need to come back to shore. Go big and do the full-tilt boogie.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to 0.5 lb per week when I needed to lose over 100 lb. That gave me a high daily calorie budget. For the first week, I changed nothing and logged everything. After that first week, I looked at my food diary and weight chart to discover that my normal workday consumption was already a deficit to my new calorie budget, and my normal weekend consumption was enough of a surplus to maintain my 270 lb+ weight. It really was easy to figure out ways of getting through weekends without surplus. The perpetual problem, of course, is consistency. Still, I've lost a lot of weight, failures and all.
  • amis551
    amis551 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think its important to congratulate yourself after each successful day. Each day you continue remind yourself that you can, because you did the previous day. Dont focus on the pounds focus on disciplining your mind to be positive. You are worth it
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I agree that setting your goal for 1 pound a week won't be so dramatic. If you decide to increase to 2 pounds in a month or two when you have the hang of it that's fine but 1 pound a week for all 150# works to.

A tip I read here recently that struck me was if you have a big meal you don't intend don't do it again the next meal. So if you mess up at lunch eat a normal dinner that is in line with your goals. Don't punish and starve yourself, just get back on the path to your goal.

You should know 100% why you want to lose weight. This is important for when it gets hard or you get frustrated. Your why should be a strong solid answer and it's different for everyone. Some of my "why" is I want to be able to keep up with my nieces and nephew. I will play as long as they want. I don't want to have the health problems my parents do because I am overweight. They have so many health issues. I want to be "up for anything". Last minute hike and 20 mile bike ride? Sure. Can you help me move? Sure. Obstacle course race? Let's do it.

Know your "why" inside and out. Write it down if you want and look at it often. You can do it.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    If both logging every day and trying to lose weight seem to overwhelm you, start by just logging every day. Set your goal to maintenance, and ignore trying to lose for a week - just focus on logging what you normally eat for a week or two. Once the logging gets to be more of a habit, look at your diary and see what can be changed or eliminted.

Changing your entire life is very difficult to do all at once, changing one thing is easy. So start with one change, your logging habit. Then when that change becomes habit, make another change, such as just try to eat below your maintenance calories everyday, even just 100 calories under maintenance will lead to weight loss.

Then keep repeating going through your diary to see what changes will be easiest to make to increase your deficit for your weight loss periodically. It takes a bit longer this way, but by making one change at a time and turning that into habit, the results will have the best chance at being permanent.

It took me nearly two years to drop 170lbs. Then I took a break for a year, I was able to maintain my weight without any work as all of my little changes I made over time became my lifestyle habits. Now I'm back to lose another 20lbs, maybe more.

You can do this.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    If both logging every day and trying to lose weight seem to overwhelm you, start by just logging every day. Set your goal to maintenance, and ignore trying to lose for a week - just focus on logging what you normally eat for a week or two. Once the logging gets to be more of a habit, look at your diary and see what can be changed or eliminted.

Changing your entire life is very difficult to do all at once, changing one thing is easy. So start with one change, your logging habit. Then when that change becomes habit, make another change, such as just try to eat below your maintenance calories everyday, even just 100 calories under maintenance will lead to weight loss.

Then keep repeating going through your diary to see what changes will be easiest to make to increase your deficit for your weight loss periodically. It takes a bit longer this way, but by making one change at a time and turning that into habit, the results will have the best chance at being permanent.

It took me nearly two years to drop 170lbs. Then I took a break for a year, I was able to maintain my weight without any work as all of my little changes I made over time became my lifestyle habits. Now I'm back to lose another 20lbs, maybe more.

You can do this.

Exactly this! I was also going to suggest just logging for a week, without considering changing anything else, and then looking at your log and seeing what might be the easiest things to change. If you’ve been eating a big surplus or maybe even gaining weight consistently before, having a few weeks to learn consistent logging and maintaining might be helpful. I’m doing what the poster above is suggesting - for the first few weeks, I lost 0.1kg per week, which is only a 100kcal deficit per day. Then 0.2kg for a few weeks, and now I’ve been at 0.3kg for a few weeks. Trying to speed up a little, hopefully reaching a 0.4kg weekly pace (for comparison, 1lb is 0.454kg)

Also, I think there is no bandwagon and no rails, from which one can fall. There’s just life, in which you make choices. Weight loss isn’t a thing where you’re in or out, it’s a result of how you live your life. Some days you may focus on it more, some days less. Just keep logging everything and focus first on the choices you make every day or every week. Changing my breakfast habits a year ago was, well, a game changer. I eat the same breakfast routinely every day, without paying much attention to it while I’m still trying to wake up, so switching into something that has more protein and less calories was a fairly easy change that has really affected both my hunger levels and calorie deficits.

Logging every day eventually gives you an idea of how many calories are in things - yesterday I had logged breakfast, lunch and snacks during the day, then went out to a restaurant and a friend’s house party. It turns out my internal sense of where I was at calorie-wise was within 100kcals of correct, and it was actually pretty easy to turn down things like punch and focus on the treats and foods I actually wanted to eat because I instinctively knew how much I would be overconsuming if I gorged on it all (which I undoubtedly would have done a year ago). Sure, I was over my calorie goal, but, importantly, still under maintenance.