Cellulite

Options
Hi everyone ! So I am at my Goal weight and the only thing that is bothering me is the cellulite on my inner thighs. I went to a salon and she told me that in order for my cellulite to disappear I should stop drinking diet sodas and drink water instead , eat whole foods and not 'junk '( i eat processed food) , do this cellulite machine thingy she has and exercise. ( I exercise For 2 hours everyday on A mini Stepper machine)
Is this true ? As I am very confused

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Lol, a salon person likely has no degree in physiology and can't tell you that GENETICS rule here. Losing weight helps to reduce appearance, the they are CELLS in your body underneath the skin and you CAN'T change that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Blame your parents for the cellulute, it's genetic
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Genetics...

Even some of the most absolutely fit ladies I know, including two physique competitors have cellulite.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    The only thing that has helped reduce my cellulite is lifting heavy and building up my muscle mass. I lowered my body fat percentage. Even then I still have some and probably always will. I used to have it bad down my entire legs and on my abdomen. Now it’s just the top of my thighs

That inspires me to up my weight lifting program. I hate how my thighs look but building up muscle makes sense.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It's genetics. While mine improved with strength training, muscle building and lowering my bodyfat%, I still had it even at my very leanest.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Another vote for genetics (and continuing weight training for body composition improvements at goal weight, as the best realistic option available, aside from Photoshop).

Nice revenue-enhancement play by the salon lady, though, with the pointless machine recommendation. I'm surprised she didn't try to sell you a very important dietary supplement, besides. ;)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I love this article about cellulite: http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/the-dirty-little-secret-of-the-female-athlete-cellulite

ETA: and yes, it's genetic.
  • Blackwatch2000
    Blackwatch2000 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I love this article about cellulite: http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/the-dirty-little-secret-of-the-female-athlete-cellulite

That's a great read. Makes me feel better. :)
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Ahhh ha! A huge dose of reality ,thank you
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Increasing muscle mass will decrease the appearance of cellulite. Cellulite is largely genetic but you will notice that seasoned athletes with higher muscle mass tend to have less of it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Increasing muscle mass will decrease the appearance of cellulite. Cellulite is largely genetic but you will notice that seasoned athletes with higher muscle mass tend to have less of it.

Some things are worth repeating:
    kami3006 wrote: »

Great links in both of the two posts above about cellulite and what causes it.

Dontcha just hate how popular culture gives negative names to normal things about women's bodies, the better for us to hate on our physicality? Cellulite, hip dips, chicken wings/bat wings, . . . ! Jeesh. It sure helps generate revenue for people selling useless products, though.
  • sharunza
    sharunza Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My nearly 14 year old daughter is 5’2” and weighs 100 pounds soaking wet. She has some dimples on the backs of her legs. She gets it from me.