not too happy with my boring menu!

Options
Hey all. I just joined today. Still can't pick from a picture of me from last year or of me today. But this is my 3rd time battling my weight. Its been a 5 yr thing. I came to the light last year and saw that I self punish myself with bad foods that made me feel bloated, gasy, crampy, headachy and gain weight. I tried the doctor diet, which worked for my outside but nothing for my source: my guilt. So it was a short lived victory as life happened, I blamed myself and started my punishments. Then I tried again w/o the doctor just to see if I had what it took to take off the weight myself and it worked! But again I made a mistake after working hard for 4 months and getting so close to my goal, so I punished myself..again. But last year I had a come to Jesus meeting and I saw the mean things I was doing to myself and I have been on this road to recovery! I feel great! I started on my feelings first, then my behaviors and will power, etc. About 6 months ago I was feeling great all the time in my own skin, so I thought I was ready to get my weight off. I'm only 5'1 and was 190 something.( me and the scale were still broken up at this point) One of my knees was hurting all the time, my ankles would swell, walking from the close space in the parking lot to the inside of the store was too much for me! The weight was just physcally hurting me. But fear of failing again took over me and it took me 4 months to commit to me again. I was only able to do it because I had noticed that while I was waiting to get back to taking care of myself I wasn't punishing myself like I used to do! Victory for me, Plus I had taken off 10 lbs trying to help my poor knee out! ( I cut out some of my bad foods but didn't exercise) lol Plus, Plus!!

Now I've been fully commited to myself for a little over a month now I have lost another 10lbs and about 12 inches total from head to toe (or neck to ankle lol)! But I tend to eat the same things over and over and over! Don't get me wrong the food I'm eating is really good to me and quick to throw together but its getting boring. I'm not the best cook in the world but I try to eat 3 servings of green veggies a day and 2 reds either fruits or veggies.

Does anyone have any quick and easy suggestions? I have very little time to spare, I like cook and of prep for the week. I have no shame in brown baggin it, to me its best. Please help!

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    Options
    When I was a full time Engineer I'd live on Shakeology and P90X/Clif Bars. Chicken and rice was also a main staple since I could cook a large batch. Oh, and chili! Use turkey meat and low sodium seasoning instead. Should last a few days!
  • wildone31
    Options
    Thanks, I love turkey. I also replaced Mcdonalds with my very own Big Mouth Veggie Burgers!
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili (four large servings)

1 lb lean ground turkey, browned
    1 can pinto beans, low sodium or no salt added, drained and rinsed
    1 can red kidney beans, low sodium or no salt added, drained and rinsed
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 clove garlic, diced
    2 cans diced tomatoes, low sodium or no salt added
    1 can tomato sauce, low sodium or no salt added
    3 Tbsp molasses
    3 tsp brown sugar
    Approximately 4 Tbsp Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (I use two whole peppers from the can and a bit of the sauce to equal the 4 Tbsp total / or to taste depending on how much spice you like), diced

Mix everything together in the crockpot, low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.

520 calories / 9 grams fat / 37 grams protein / 571mg sodium / 17 grams fiber

MAKE SURE YOU GO FOR LOW SODIUM OR NO SALT ADDED WHEREVER POSSIBLE. Add salt to taste and log it on MFP when serving. I add some mozzarella cheese and Xochitl corn chips (no salt added).
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    There are many of us on here with food diaries that are open to the public for viewing- Consider it an invitation...
    like a welcome invite to come check out what's in our cupboards and fridge...and see if you get any ideas from others.

That's how I came up with a lot of my snackin ideas....stuff I didn't even know was out there.

Make friends w/ people here on MFP- you will REALLY appreciate having a few friends come alongside you to encourage you-
    and keep asking questions- check the SEARCH feature- chances are someone's already asked it- and you will learn LOTS.

Best Wishes to you
  • Dornroschen
    Options
    Smoothies
    1 Banana
    5 medium strawberries
    3 ounces chobani non-fat greek yogurt
    4 ounces milk (coconut, almond, fat free)

Roughly - 250 cals, 44 carbs, 3g fat, 13g protein, 49mg sodium, 4g fiber.

Mix and max your fruit if you'd like. I find with this combo there's enough natural sugar so you don't have to add any extra.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I have a link to my food blog on my profile. You're also welcome to check out my diary. I do tend to repeat the same things for lunch but my hubby takes whatever we had for dinner the night before as his lunch most days.
  • Dornroschen
    Options
    PIZZA

I cannot live without pizza in my life - so here's what I do:

1 Schwebel's Whole Wheat Flat Bread
    1 serving pizza sauce (best to make your own to avoid all the sodium, but I haven't done this yet)
    1 serving mozzarella cheese
    Veggies, Veggies, Veggies
    1 serving pepperoni if you have the room in your sodium for it.

Around 500 calories depending on what you put on it.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Less than 30 minutes:

http://healthydoesntmeanboring.blogspot.com/search/label/Under 30 min.

Chicken Taco/Burrito filling
    Bison Tomato Curry (can also use beef)
    "Spanish" Rice
    Garam Masala Hummus
    Sweet & Savory Summer Simmer
    Cerdo Sazonada con Arroz Salvaje
    Goat Cheese Puff Pastries
    Mandarin Orange Peanut Sauce

*~*~*~*

One pan cooking (some repeats from above)

http://healthydoesntmeanboring.blogspot.com/search/label/One Pan

Chicken Taco/Burrito filling
    Creamy Lemon Chicken
    Bison Tomato Curry
    Chicken Fajitas
    Sweet & Savory Summer Simmer
    Cerdo Sazonada con Arroz Salvaje
    Mandarin Orange Peanut Sauce
    Southwest Bison (can also use beef)
  • MistressV
    MistressV Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe a slow cooker or crock pot to create big batches that can be frozen and swapped quickly?

Take some of your favorite items and try one of those recipe creation sites?

I like getting Betty Crocker's newsletter and then thinking about how I can swap stuff to make it better. Do that with your faves? Swap an ingredient or two and see how it turns out.

Whats helped me are my "Eat This Not That" books.The idea of just trading a real bad food for something similar but better keeps me from feeling too deprived.
    There is even a mix and match chart of 100 calorie Snacks that are much better for you than the prepackaged 100 Calorie cookie / cracker treats.

Im sure there will be lots of great ideas from others on here ;) Good Luck!
  • wildone31
    Options
    Thanks to you all for all the helpful new eats! On my next day off I'm going to get in the kitchen and get to gettin with some new items on my menu!