How do you like to log your food?

Options
2»

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I'm also apart of the pre-logging crowd. Usually right before I'm about to eat/make something so I can see what I am going to be left with for the rest of the day.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I guess I should also add, I eat almost the same thing every day and it doesn't bother me. I know many can't handle that, but it makes it so easy for me :lol:
  • OddPiety
    OddPiety Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies and food for thought. I'm going to apply some of your ideas to my own tracking habits. I didn't realize I would not get notified when I got replies to a community post, I had to dig to find my post again with intention of deleting it because I didn't think anyone responded. Ah well, I'm new at this ;) Learning curve. Thanks again!
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always have the same breakfast so tend to pre-log that, if I'm meal prepping I'll pre-log lunches. I also tend to log dinners in advance if I know what I'm having. That way, if someone offers me a treat at work or I'm feeling like a snack at work I know what I can fit in :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't log anymore, but when I did I usually pre-logged everything the night before or first thing in the morning and would then make a change if necessary. I usually left a buffer in there for something impulsive in the afternoon or evening.

To me, it only makes sense to know where you're at before you even start. Generally speaking, having a plan is pretty optimal to success.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I log as I go, since I tend to eat what sounds good and fits in my day at the moment. If I know what I'm having though I'll prelog to save time and effort, and make sure it fits, but I don't feel at all bad tweaking amounts or "cheating" if I change my mind or am more hungry (ie if I prelog one slice of pizza, but end up wanting two and two fits - with or without extra exercise, I don't worry about adding it)
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I log as I go but have created a "weekday breakfast" which is usually the same or if it's leftovers for lunch i copy from the previous night. If I'm going out I tend to see if there is calories online for the restaurant to help me decide and plan that. Feel free to add me too I am trying to get back into it after a less than successful spring!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Both. I typically know what my lunch will be in the morning as I usually pack it. Even if I am at home, I think about what I would pack out of habit and eat that. Breakfast has an old standby or two that I can pre log or log as I go. nacks are as I go and dinner generally is also because I will often cook for the family and weigh stuff out that I will eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I also always kind of looked at it in the same way I looked at part of my job...part of my job is to analyze and project our budget for the year. If I just projected things as they were spent, we'd probably have issues and not really be in good shape...if I project over the course of a year and reconcile to actual on a monthly basis, we have a good idea of where we stand financially at the office...and if it looks like we're going to go over budget then we can quickly identify cuts...or conversely, if we're leaving too much on the table, we can buy a little more.

But I wouldn't know any of that if I didn't project the budget out over time and just put it down as those dollars were spent.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I have always logged as I go, but now that I'm getting closer to a healthy weight range, it's getting tougher to stay under my calories. I'm toying with prelogging in the morning then I can cut out the "hum what do I feel like eating" trap I seem to be falling into in the evening.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I tend to pre-log most of my food at the start of the day as I know by then what my meals will be. I'll then log as I go for any snacks I eat throughout the day or adjust my already pre-logged meals if needed.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    On days I don't work, I just log as I go. On workdays, my menu is pretty consistent when I am at work (other than add ins while there) so I pre-log everything I pack in my lunch and then log whatever I eat for dinner and evening snack.