Confused!

Options
So I'm new at all this, so this might be a dumb question, lol... So this morning I weighed and I was 171.6. I just weighed at 6:30pm and I was 175.6.. How did I gain so much in one day!? I also just ate too. But after the night, does it go back down by the morning. Of course I'm fixing to work it off on my elliptical, but I'm just wondering how I gained so much in a day.

Replies

• RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Water retention if you ate a lot of salty foods, didn't drink enough, ate more than normal, etc.
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. I usually just weigh myself first thing in the morning and then record that.
  • mccarty2003
    mccarty2003 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know why I just weighed. I should have known better, so now it got me down. But hopefully tomorrow it will be good. Lol..thanks girls!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. I usually just weigh myself first thing in the morning and then record that.

This, plus once a week
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The food you eat has weight. It's gone in the morning because you've...gotten rid of it.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate something like 3-5 pounds a day. In the morning, you haven't eaten or done anything yet. At the end of the day you have eaten several times, you have drank fluids, if you worked out your muscles could be retaining water while they are going through their repair process. It's also possible, in the morning that part of your weight is from the food you ate the day before. In addition, fluctuating hormone cycles can affect your weight. Which is why they say you should only weigh yourself once a week.

Oh, and don't forget that before your period and during your period your weight may be higher, due to being bloated, water retention and hormone levels. My trainer doesn't even weigh women the week they are on their period, she says women are already emotional and then they get depressed to see the scale jumped 4 pounds in a week. LOL

Anyway, I hope that answers your question.

Oh, and since you do fluctuate daily, that's why you are supposed to weigh yourself at the same time of day each time. For me, it's first thing in the morning after I've used the bathroom.

God bless!
  • katharube
    Options
    Probs water retention like the post before said. This is gonna be hypocritical advice, but to help you to not become me, just weigh yourself once a week or every few days. If you have to weigh yourself everyday make sure it's at the same time and in the same clothes (i think most people do it as soon as they get up in their pjs). If you continually weigh yourself throughout the day you become a wee bit scales obsessed which is what's happened to me. It gets frustrating, confusing and depressing. Currently trying to get myself out of the habit haha. Also worth remembering that there are other ways to measure your weight loss - clothes fit and waist and hip measurements. Hope that helps and good luck :)
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I do it to myself often. I don't know why I do. I weigh myself throughout the day then get upset. I have to stop. I know the morning should be the only weigh in. I can't believe the difference in throughout the day. I'm soooo glad others mention it though because otherwise I would just think its ME...LOL!!! just keep up the GOOD work & you will see results. : )
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    not a dumb question. When I drink alot of water I can weight up to 7lbs more but next day I can drop it in the morning, elimination. You are good, After a week if you weigh the same then worry
  • mccarty2003
    mccarty2003 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok great! Thanks for all the advice!! Now me going and working off these calories on my elliptical helps right? Will it get the weight down by morning also? I just don't know how all that works. Like I said, I'm new to this. Haha..
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but very single day, I weigh 5lbs more in the evening than I do first thing in the morning. Every day.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The process isn't that fast. The extra weight isn't even part of your body yet anyway. Just relax, stick to your goals, and measure next week.
    Stressing out is counter productive
  • eyesofblue7
    Options
    I was also a bit confused. Glad I ran across you post. All the answers seemed about the same. And best of luck to everyone in obtaining their goal.
  • AlwaysSarah87
    Options
    Yep! What everyone else said! Try and weigh yourself same time (in the am) every week :) GOOD LUCK!!!!