Feeling out of control

Options
I just can't seem to get my eating under control. I will do good for a few days but my resolve just seems to break down and I go on a binge. I have tried every diet every method but I just dont seem to have the ability to stick with it.

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Are you being too aggressive with your goals?

What is your calorie goal set at?
    How many lbs a week did you set it at?
    How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't go on diets, the diets make you feel miserable and not in control of your life.

Don't do good. Live well.

You have to be happy and feel like you're in charge of your life, and things you do have to feel meaningful to you, before you can muster self discipline.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    You keep a food diary?

You keep logging when you go astray?

Going over your number is not a reason to abandon the process.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Everybody above is right. Another idea might be to forget the "diet" concern altogether and put your attention on physical fitness. Consider reinventing yourself as a "runner" or a "biker" or a "swimmer", etc. I've seen a lot of folks put their sights on a half marathon months in the future as a goal on which to focus. How many fat runners do you see?
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Keep a diary or journal. Trend what triggers you to start eating or going on the binge? Eating out, buying junk food. Driving by a bakery? Drive a different route, sounds odd, but it is something I did changed route. I also bought smaller plates, quit using dinner size plates, helped me with portion control. Fool the brain and no seconds allowed. Good Luck.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    All of this. Make small changes. Change your thinking. Change how you approach life. You don't climb the mountain in one giant leap. You climb the mountain one step at a time. It won't come off easily, but persevere. Slog through it. Make the difficult choices, make new in-roads in life.

Slow and steady is key. Consistency and habits are key. Motivation is fleeting, coming and going with the fickleness of non-linear weight loss.

And as the @VUA21 says, it will be slow. It took me a year to lose the bulk of the weight and then another year to lose the rest and I ended up taking a maintenance break. Now I'm back at it to get to my final goal.

Good luck! You got this! You've got the awesome inside you!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    such great advice here.. i'll add i too think you should try focusing on working out at the gym..that would put you into a good environment...and the health and fitness ball just gets rolling because you're around everyone who is working for the same goals. Also, you could focus more on healthy and nutritious eating. Reading up on nutrition trends makes one start looking at food as medicine, and eating healthy happens easier because there is a better reason for eating greens than the calorie count.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    such great advice here.. i'll add i too think you should try focusing on working out at the gym..that would put you into a good environment...and the health and fitness ball just gets rolling because you're around everyone who is working for the same goals. Also, you could focus more on healthy and nutritious eating. Reading up on nutrition trends makes one start looking at food as medicine, and eating healthy happens easier because there is a better reason for eating greens than the calorie count.

I would focus on nutrition and eating habits first. There's a very true saying: You cannot out train a bad diet.

Also, with better nutrition, you'll find that working out is easier. When I have one of my junk food days , I notice that my workouts aren't as intense as I don't have the energy to push myself, even if it's the same amount of calories as when I eat better.
  • bookstitch
    bookstitch Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    mybigfat wrote: »
    I just can't seem to get my eating under control. I will do good for a few days but my resolve just seems to break down and I go on a binge. I have tried every diet every method but I just dont seem to have the ability to stick with it.

I am dealing with the same feeling. Want to connect and try to find a way to help one another?
  • thelettermegan
    thelettermegan Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, instead of trying different diets, ask yourself what triggers the binge.
  • donnaquinn35
    donnaquinn35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem but making friends on here helped so send me a friend request if you like and we can motivate each other
  • Optasia
    Optasia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don’t Diet. I don’t deprive myself. I eat what I want...just less of it. If I want some sweets or even a burger, I have it and then adjust the rest of my eating for the day to make room for that higher calorie food. Basically, I eat healthier and a lot less, but always make room for a treat.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Binge eater here too. For me, I will just feel like I can't get enough food- hungry, hungry hippo type feeling sometimes. I have foods I can eat a lot of and still be on track: carrots, broccoli, etc. If I'm feeling really "bad" I will do the 240 calories per pint ice cream (will eat the entire pint in one sitting sometimes). I try to just have healthier things in the house because I live alone and that works for me. Just remember, you can do this!!
  • april111213
    april111213 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I love this thread lots of good advice.
  • ian4239316
    ian4239316 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know. It's difficult. Before the next spoonful of food reaches my mouth, I ask myself "Are you hungry?" The answer is inevitably no. So, my advice to you is try not to binge and only eat when you need to. Keep trying your very best and rejoice in the smallest triumph.
  • StopTheGroundhog
    StopTheGroundhog Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Why have people clicked "woo" for the comments from @VUA21 and @TeaBea? Both of these posts were full of great advice!!
    Sorry OP, nothing to do with you or your challenges...just annoyed me.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    First stop saying the word "diet." Just eat what you want but, the correct portion size. Read nutrition labels and weigh/measure everything. You got this!!!!! :)