Runners Energy: gels, goos, bloks, chews, etc

Options
Hey runners!

1. Suggest your favorite nutrition and why you like it

2. Where can I buy it in bulk, best pricing?

I don't currently use anything but I'm thinking it would help me to extend my "long" runs. I notice the powerbar gels are like a buck apiece. Ow! I saw I could buy Hammergel in a big bucket and get it cheaper - but then how the heck do I carry it with me, do they make reusable squirt bottles for that Tablespoon of goop?

Advice please! TIA!

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Jellybabies
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I personally could never stomach any of the gels. The consistencty would make me gag. I'd use the sport beans. But it has been about 4 years since I was a long distance runner so I'm not sure where they are available anymore.
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    sport beans by jelly belly TOTALLY AWESOME :) used them on my half and now use them during long workouts :)
  • runnermommy13
    Options
    I like the Sports Beans (made by Jelly Belly) and the Gu Chomps. Anything I've tried is basically about $1 a pop. You should find a wide array of choices at your local sporting goods store (Academy Sports) or if you have a local running store (Fleet Feet). Before you buy in bulk, I suggest buying them 1 at a time to make sure they work for you. Not everything sits well on the stomach.
    As far as the Hammer Gel in a tub, I've heard of people putting it into a ziplock baggie & squeezing it out from the end. Sounds kinda messy though!
    Most running/training programs will suggest that you carry "portable nutrition" on runs about 6 miles or longer (anything over about an hour). Otherwise, your body doesn't function as well once it's used up the normal nutritional stores. Having said that, I did 8 miles this morning without anything b/c I was having stomach issues & the thought of a Gu gel made me want to vomit.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    sport beans by jelly belly TOTALLY AWESOME :) used them on my half and now use them during long workouts :)

ooooh, i've heard that those are popular. It'd take some crazy willpower to save them for my runs and not munch on them during the day, hehe. I imagine they'd be pretty inexpensive.

I'm looking for electrolytes, good carbs, aren't jellies just sugar?
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've tried every goo and chew and bean out there. I liked the Jelly Belly sports beans (no caffine) best and I do carry a couple of packs 'in case of emergency'.

I get the best results when I take and eat actual food. I usually make a 'scone' like bread. It's got whole wheat flour, oats, salt, buttermilk and butter in it. I eat one portion before a long run and split the rest during the run. My best results are almost always when I use those. I make it off the top of my head, I'll try to write down what's in it next time next time. :) Another thing I've round that works well is a little debbie oatmeal cream pie. I can get two of those in my running belt and they have saved me on 15+ milers. I almost always hit a banana somewhere in the run and will occassionally drive my route and leave fruit packs (oranges etc) before I get started. I do use salt tabs too. I'm a very salty sweater (I know, eiw) and I find that I cramp if I dont keep my sodium up.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    Otherwise, your body doesn't function as well once it's used up the normal nutritional stores. Having said that, I did 8 miles this morning without anything b/c I was having stomach issues & the thought of a Gu gel made me want to vomit.

That's about where I'm at - I did 8.5 this morning, having eaten half a banana before going out, but I felt good toward the end and kept up a good pace (9.5 min/mile). That's why I'm thinking I ought to fuel during - and can't decide what to use - with everything being expensive. I'm on a budget... a dollar a run adds up fast.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    I've tried every goo and chew and bean out there. I liked the Jelly Belly sports beans (no caffine) best and I do carry a couple of packs 'in case of emergency'.

I get the best results when I take and eat actual food. I usually make a 'scone' like bread. It's got whole wheat flour, oats, salt, buttermilk and butter in it. I eat one portion before a long run and split the rest during the run. My best results are almost always when I use those. I make it off the top of my head, I'll try to write down what's in it next time next time. :) Another thing I've round that works well is a little debbie oatmeal cream pie. I can get two of those in my running belt and they have saved me on 15+ milers. I almost always hit a banana somewhere in the run and will occassionally drive my route and leave fruit packs (oranges etc) before I get started. I do use salt tabs too. I'm a very salty sweater (I know, eiw) and I find that I cramp if I dont keep my sodium up.

Thanks - awesome. I do find I have my best runs when I've eaten a whole bagel with cream cheese about a half hour before going out.

I've never run longer than 10 miles - but I'm ready for more. Your scones sound awesome - if/when you have time - pm me your recipe?!
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a runner, but I can take 4-5 hour bike rides. The need to replenish energy is much the same.

I agree with candb - gels & goos can be hard to get past the taste buds, but are effective. I also think the blocks & chews are too chewy - personal opinion. I LOVE the sportsbeans.

All of these products are in the $1/each range.

I often choose to pack raisins instead of the other products. You can also mix together salted sunflower seeds & raisins in a plastic baggie. Portable & tasty!
  • ennaejay
    Options
    Raisins -- good idea --- thanks!

I found this for the Hammergel stuff so you don't have to use nasty plastic bags:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Gel-Serving-Flask-5oz/dp/B000SSSFO2

Cool eh
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry, and experimenting with what works for you is the only thing that works.
    Just don't waste money on over advertised products when all you really need is food and water
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I like the sport beans when I drive over to TaeKwonDo... because they are awesome good and work well BUT take a while for me to eat. Gu, on the other, I use during my runs because it is much easier to get into me and quickly. I also use only Gatorade when I run in the heat... as opposed to water... just seems to work better for me than water alone.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Depending on if I'm cycling or running I'll use shot bloks on the bike because they're easy to handle and pretty tasty. On the run I'll use Gu Espresso Luv.. mmm... my favorite gel. If I'm training I'll just throw them in my fuel belt or my tri top has pockets to put them in. During a race I'll stash them on my bike. Just make sure to take water when you eat these... they are meant to be taken with water.. if not you could have some issues later.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of anything gooey. Gu's and gels are absolutely nauseating to me, but I'm sort of ok with the black cherry shot blox. They are made by Clif bar I thing, Im training for a half, so I do need to find some options I can stomach as well. I've been going to try Nuun drink supplements, but haven found the fruit punch flavored ones anywhere...
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    BUMP for a time when I can write this all down.
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hey runners!

1. Suggest your favorite nutrition and why you like it

2. Where can I buy it in bulk, best pricing?

I don't currently use anything but I'm thinking it would help me to extend my "long" runs. I notice the powerbar gels are like a buck apiece. Ow! I saw I could buy Hammergel in a big bucket and get it cheaper - but then how the heck do I carry it with me, do they make reusable squirt bottles for that Tablespoon of goop?

Advice please! TIA!

I hate to admit it, but I have completely indiscerning tastes. So far, I have been able to digest anything I have thrown at my gut, and only aim for a very specific amount of carb replacement per time spent running. As such, I buy whatever is on sale (so long as it contains multiple sources of mono and di saccharides, that is, is not exclusively fructose, etc, I like to have multiple transport systems used). I bought a kajillion boxes of gu when performance bikes had them on an amazing sale, I bought the grocery outlet out of powerbar gels when they had them, and so on. Right now, Performance has Accel and Cliff shots on sale. It is not a terrific one, but it is less than $1 each. Join their buyers club, and you can earn 10% back on everything, as well. Oh, and I tend to buy gatorade in powder form from outlet stores, and then mix and carry on my fuel belt. That limits how many gels I need, and takes care of hydration and fueling all in one. But, you need a fuel belt with a huge capacity, and you end up looking like a dork. No prob for me, as that is my baseline.
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Another bump for later.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    All these things are really about personal preference with regards to flavor, taste and texture. Try different brands to figure out what you like.

These days I'm partial to Clif Bloks margarita flavor.

I love jelly beans, but I hate sports beans - too sweet for me while I'm running (go figure).
  • Locky17
    Locky17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi try science in sport isotonic gels, they replace electrolytes without the need for water with them and contain 22g of complex carbs, zero sugar, for longer lasting energy. From uk I bought some off eBay £23.99 for 30 60ml gels. I found them easy to use and best tasting is tropical. Also come in orange and blackcurrant
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the info! I'm trying shot blocks on my next run. The gels feel like I am trying to swallow a loogy, and I just can't do it! Disgusting! I read in runners world about using honey, anyone try that? I love the raisins, going to have to try that one too!