Looking for friends: Low Carb/Keto

I’m looking for some friends to connect with who are on a low carb/keto way of eating. People who are pretty regular at logging in , may talk recipes or whatever works for us and such. Just need s bit of support.

Also a bonus if you have more than 100# to lose like me.

Replies

• mojarr0
    mojarr0 Posts: 15 Member
    Hello there, I am not really in a keto lifestyle but I am ingesting about 30 to 50 carbs daily. I log daily and am too looking to lose over 100lbs. Let me know if you want to partner up for some motivation and accountability.
  • contessakris
    contessakris Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2018
    Great! I’ve approved your request. I started (again) April 23 and am down like 19.3 lbs. so we’re pretty even on that front! Would love to encourage each other.
    Hi there! I'm in the same boat! Keto and 100+ to lose. I'll send you a request! : ) I started keto on April 14th of this year and I'm having great results! -23.2 lbs in 7 weeks so I can't complain. I hope it is going well for you, too! <3

• contessakris
    Sounds great to me! I’ll add you. Im trying to stick around 50-60 carbs, 30 fiber.
    mojarr0 wrote: »
    Hello there, I am not really in a keto lifestyle but I am ingesting about 30 to 50 carbs daily. I log daily and am too looking to lose over 100lbs. Let me know if you want to partner up for some motivation and accountability.

• kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Please add me in. I just started eating low carb and keto so I am in the very early stages of learning how to be successful on this type of diet. My spouse was told by his doctor to start eating a low carb diet and I am hoping he will have more success if I move to this type of diet, too. 21 g of carbs so far today and I am beginning to get the hang of this style of eating. Still having sugar cravings, but I read that this should lessen moving forward. Inspired to see how much weight you have already lost--I have 20 lbs. left to lose after taking off 10 lbs. with MFP since January.
  • contessakris
    Sure! I’ll add you. I’ve been on low carb again since end of April. As of today I’m down 19.3. Waiting for that 20!! Lol.
    Please add me in. I just started eating low carb and keto so I am in the very early stages of learning how to be successful on this type of diet. My spouse was told by his doctor to start eating a low carb diet and I am hoping he will have more success if I move to this type of diet, too. 21 g of carbs so far today and I am beginning to get the hang of this style of eating. Still having sugar cravings, but I read that this should lessen moving forward. Inspired to see how much weight you have already lost--I have 20 lbs. left to lose after taking off 10 lbs. with MFP since January.

• carolmoore611
    carolmoore611 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi, Please add me in. My doctor recommended the Keto diet as, based on blood work, she suspects “metabolic syndrome” and apparently I have a gene (?) that pre-disposes me to diabetes and Alzheimer’s (!!!!), so...Keto...

I’m 5 days in, haven’t eaten “sugar’ (for me, a miracle) but haven’t invested in a blood ketone/glucose monitor...do you all check your ketones with urine strips?? I may not be in ketosis yet, tho’ I have been following a 10% carb/ 20 % protein/ 70% fat diet for the 5 days, with not too much difficulty, but no idea how I’ll do long-term...will probably be buying the strips at least...wish me luck!

Do any of you know whether MyFitnessPal tracks “total carbs” or “net carbs”? I’m suspecting that it’s total, and if so, can I just use the “Nutrient” table to subtract my fiber intake from the carbs??

Any guidance appreciated!
  • Katies9484
    Katies9484 Posts: 7 Member
    Add me please! I just started keto yesterday and would love to get more of a support system. I have at least 50 lbs to lose, if I'm being realistic with myself a little more.
  • TheBigDog29
    TheBigDog29 Posts: 13 Member
    I’m going to start keto with a coworker this week but I also wouldn’t mind other support from here too. Please feel free to add me.
  • PreciousPerla
    PreciousPerla Posts: 6 Member
    I would love to send a friends request to any or all of you but don't know how
    So please any of you feel free to add me

I was following a different way of eating and have had a good start but the last 30lb is being difficult so just started low carb this week
  • contessakris
    I don’t use the ketone sticks. I did a long time ago. But know I’m just used to getting my carbs and fiber kinds at a certain level where I keep losing. You have to find what works for you. And on days when my fiber was pretty low And carbs a bit higher, the next day I’ll really try to up the fat. Add cream to things, eat a whole avocado, use more butter when cooking. It helps when you’ve slipped up and eaten higher in carbs. It’s all a balance. But for some people, the sticks are what help them keep on track. For me it’s charting daily, meal prepping and weighing daily. The scale tells me when I haven’t drinking much water or I’ve had too much salt in my day. I trust it.

MFP does show you your carbs and fiber so I just simply subtract in my head, so I have an idea of where I’m at. It doesn’t have to be fancy.

I don’t know if you knew but when charting food, it shows you your meals nutrients (carbs, fiber etc) but if you turn your phone sideways you can scroll to the bottom and see your totals for the day. Does that make sense? I usually only chart on the phone. Computer shows everything all at once.

Adding you now.
    Hi, Please add me in. My doctor recommended the Keto diet as, based on blood work, she suspects “metabolic syndrome” and apparently I have a gene (?) that pre-disposes me to diabetes and Alzheimer’s (!!!!), so...Keto...

I’m 5 days in, haven’t eaten “sugar’ (for me, a miracle) but haven’t invested in a blood ketone/glucose monitor...do you all check your ketones with urine strips?? I may not be in ketosis yet, tho’ I have been following a 10% carb/ 20 % protein/ 70% fat diet for the 5 days, with not too much difficulty, but no idea how I’ll do long-term...will probably be buying the strips at least...wish me luck!

Do any of you know whether MyFitnessPal tracks “total carbs” or “net carbs”? I’m suspecting that it’s total, and if so, can I just use the “Nutrient” table to subtract my fiber intake from the carbs??

Any guidance appreciated!

• contessakris
    Hello! Yes of course I’ll add you. First day huh? My advice? Tons of water, lots of fat. It will help you get thru the low carb keto flu that hits days 3-5. When you feel like crap. Water helps it go quicker, fat helps you feel full longer, less likely to cheat. You got this!
    Katies9484 wrote: »
    Add me please! I just started keto yesterday and would love to get more of a support system. I have at least 50 lbs to lose, if I'm being realistic with myself a little more.

• contessakris
    You got this. As I told Katie, fat and water are your best friends the first week especially. For recipes and such I tend to use Pinterest s lot. But when in doubt, eat meat, cheese and salads. Easiest start. Avocados have tons of good fat. Carbs and fiber almost even each other out.

Glad to meet you. I requested an add.
    I’m going to start keto with a coworker this week but I also wouldn’t mind other support from here too. Please feel free to add me.

• contessakris
    I think low carb will really help you melt off the last several lbs. the only 2 things I’ve found that worked for me were low carb and juicing. But I couldn’t stick with juicing for more than a month. I needed cooked foods, crunchy things! So back to low carb I came.

To add a friend you click on their name. Then click on the name again. Then you should see in the right corner, a little blue body guy with a plus sign. Click that and you come to a message request form. Just send a note to the person and it is a friend request. Easy peasy.

Adding you now.

I would love to send a friends request to any or all of you but don't know how
    So please any of you feel free to add me

I was following a different way of eating and have had a good start but the last 30lb is being difficult so just started low carb this week

• SarcasticBlondie2
    SarcasticBlondie2 Posts: 35 Member
    Keto here since January of 2017. Anyone can add me. :-)
  • TiltedHalo1984
    TiltedHalo1984 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm in the same boat. I'd love to have you guys as a accountability buddies. I post and log every day. I just started my page I'm very new but I'm excited to learn all the features the app has to offer

• Katierosefree
    Katierosefree Posts: 8 Member
    Hey guys! Primal Paleo that leans more towards Keto most days. I started last week, and feel great! I have about 35 pounds to lose. Feel free to add me too!! ☺️
  • aligned2015
    aligned2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi everyone! Jumping onto this thread because I’ve never had friends through the app and think the engagement on my posts and diary will help! Gone Paleo and Whole30-ish after the death of my mom wrecked my adrenals.

Add me! No “weight to lose” (that triggers an ED for me) but will be measuring inches weekly. 💪🏻
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Hello everyone,

Trying moderate keto. Let's be accountable. And I could use the motivation.
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Katies9484 wrote: »

Just added you. I am also kinda new 3 weeks in and have about 50 pounds to hopeful loose by the end of this year but 80 to be in my ideal weight.