7 Days No Carb Challenge

Options
Sinsanati
Sinsanati Posts: 20 Member
Hi There, this is my first challenge ever.

I've lost 25 pounds on a very, very low carb way of eating. I love this way of eating and my weight came off fast. However, I've gotten off track and slowly about 5 pounds have crept back on. I think by recommitting and weighing daily, I will get back on track.

My starting weight this morning was 118.3 pounds. I'll post my carb count later in the evening.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What is your plan after 7 days? Understand any weight lost during this time will probably be water weight and once you resume consuming carbs you will more than likely gain back some of this weight.
  • Sinsanati
    Options
    I might go another 7 days with very low carbs and then keep my carbs moderately low again. I likely won't go more than 2 weeks on a no carb behavior because I love my vegetables too much and no carb is just way too restrictive for me. And yes, you're right this is more to get water weight and a few extra pounds down. I don't have very much to lose.
  • cathipa
    Options
    How tall are you? At 118 your weight seems reasonable for most heights.
  • Sinsanati
    Options
    i'm 5'2". I lost 25 pounds last year through very low carb and maintained it through a more sustainable low carb lifestyle. Over the past few months, I've gotten lax so my weight has been creeping up and I've put 5 pounds on. So this is just to take those 5 pounds off and get back to where I was and go back to maintenance. I don't do 30, 60 or 90 day challenges as a rule. 7 days are more psychologically doable for me. That's how I lost all my weight, taking it day by day rather than trying to give myself overwhelming challenges.
  • Sinsanati
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I absolutely failed on my day one attempt. but it's okay. today is another day. morning weight. 118.2

Oh well today is another day to start my 7 days.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Sinsanati wrote: »
    I absolutely failed on my day one attempt. but it's okay. today is another day. morning weight. 118.2

And this is why an excessively restrictive diet is not a good idea...

ETA: even for only 7 days...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you re-introduced carbs, that 5 Lbs is water. When you re-introduce carbs, you're going to put on water weight...every gram of carbohydrate holds 4 grams of water...you're also replenishing glycogen stores...all of this is a good thing.

This all seems pretty silly...you're at a perfectly healthy weight.
  • Sinsanati
    Options
    It wasn't a miserable fail. It was a glass of wine with my husband after our severely autistic child purposefully urinated on my wedding dress. So, yeah, I needed that in the moment. Meanwhile, yes, agreed my weight is fine. Point taken. I am taking precautions to not let it continue creeping back up. And given my low carb diet anyway, the water weight scenario is not applicable. Now, I am posting here for my own accountability, so if you have the urge to come on here and criticize me, please rethink that instinct. It's not a good use of your time and I'm sure you have better things to do.
  • cathipa
    Options
    Understand you are on a public forum. People will respond to what you post.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It wasn't a miserable fail. It was a glass of wine with my husband after our severely autistic child purposefully urinated on my wedding dress. So, yeah, I needed that in the moment. Meanwhile, yes, agreed my weight is fine. Point taken. I am taking precautions to not let it continue creeping back up. And given my low carb diet anyway, the water weight scenario is not applicable. Now, I am posting here for my own accountability, so if you have the urge to come on here and criticize me, please rethink that instinct. It's not a good use of your time and I'm sure you have better things to do.
    cathipa wrote: »
    Understand you are on a public forum. People will respond to what you post.

Especially when you advocate for an unnecessarily restrictive and potentially unhealthy or impossible(No carb) program.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

If your low carb diet is still more carbs than when you were cutting, the water weight scenario is completely applicable. Do a little research.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You're literally fooling yourself if you think the 5 lbs you'll lose from no carbs in a week is 5 lbs you're not going to gain back eating normally again.

You're going to gain it back. Then what? Lose water, gain water, rinse and repeat.

My dear MFP user, are you sure your body image is healthy? Your weight is perfect for your height.
  • MamaNess2018
    MamaNess2018 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I heard about a plan that involves carb cycling, have you ever heard of tried that? I was interested in trying it but need to get back to my healthier eating habits before I try any restrictive plans.
  • Sinsanati
    Options
    MamaNess- yes, I usually do carb cycling. I eat mostly low carb (very little processed food and mostly low glycemic vegetables and some berries) and then I do short bursts of no carb (7 days).