Heat exhaustion worries

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
Ok, I finally got back on my bicycle on a consistent basis (2x/wk). I am now up to 10 mile rides at 12-14mph. That's the good news.

The bad news is that everyone (ok, my husband and co-workers) are worried about me riding the the heat of late afternoon in Texas. I'm riding in 95+ degree temperatures. I assure them that I am fully hydrated and I don't get too hot. Sure, I sweat, but I'm also creating my own breeze so I don't feel hot.

And I'm bright enough to know to take a rest should I start to feel light-headed, nauseous or faint. And of course, I have water with me and a cell phone should I really need assistance.

Am I being blissfully ignorant of the dangers of exercise in high temps or are they just being overly cautious?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    Options
    I lived in South Florida and often exercised in the heat.

I think you'll be okay if you stay hydrated and watch your electrolytes. I was a big salt freak when I lived in the heat. Like Gatorade is good in the heat. Too much plain water isn't that good.
  • BeezBeez
    BeezBeez Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Another Southerner over here. You'll be fine. If you can move your workouts to the mornings, it might be a little easier, but it will still be really humid. I used to run at 5:00am, but it's not worth it for everyone. It's worth remembering that you won't be able to do as much when it's hot as you can when it's cooler, so exercise by your perceived effort. Don't push yourself too hard on the mileage, and if you feel light-headed or anything stop.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You need to be properly hydrated, mainly. That means drinking all day, pretty much, to the point where your urine is pretty much clear. Don't rely on just drinking before you ride. Anywhere from 5 to 8 bottles of water is what you're looking at. A good diet will stave off hyponatremia (bad condition that messes with your body's electrical system when you don't have enough electrolytes) but having a protein bar, or sport drinks like Gatorade will help with that.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I live in West Texas, 100° weather is the normal for our 9 months of summer. Just stay hydrated.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Ok, I finally got back on my bicycle on a consistent basis (2x/wk). I am now up to 10 mile rides at 12-14mph. That's the good news.

The bad news is that everyone (ok, my husband and co-workers) are worried about me riding the the heat of late afternoon in Texas. I'm riding in 95+ degree temperatures. I assure them that I am fully hydrated and I don't get too hot. Sure, I sweat, but I'm also creating my own breeze so I don't feel hot.

And I'm bright enough to know to take a rest should I start to feel light-headed, nauseous or faint. And of course, I have water with me and a cell phone should I really need assistance.

Am I being blissfully ignorant of the dangers of exercise in high temps or are they just being overly cautious?

95 degrees and working out in the triple digits is alright for those amongst us who are conditioned to manage the extreme climes - I agree.

Heat exposure whilst cycling in your case is way more tolerable (breeze permitting) than the extremes some encounter when working on select construction sites, as did a member on here. In his case, I'd recommended he get himself a neck/head cooling wrap or towel.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I live in West Texas, 100° weather is the normal for our 9 months of summer. Just stay hydrated.

I live in south central Texas - know what you mean.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    When I lived in the south, I ran at dawn. It was cooler, but also more humid. I'm not sure which was worse.

If you're properly hydrated (electrolytes, not just water) and properly acclimated to the heat, you should be fine. I've had heat syncope more than once, and it happened when I was a) not yet acclimated to the heat, b) standing still in the heat, and c) not well hydrated. All of those things are classic risk factors for it. If you don't feel well, especially if you're dizzy or nauseous, get to some shade and drink water/sports drink.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »

I live in south central Texas - know what you mean.

Yep, 9 months of summer. 2.99 months of fall/spring and occasionally a few hours of "winter" (when a snowflake actually makes it to the ground).

Where lying on the living room floor instead of sitting on the couch is normal because it's just a few degrees cooler, along with other "normal" stuff we do that everyone else thinks is weird.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m an Aussie, and it definitely gets hot here, too. In summer, I try to avoid exercising in the middle of the day outside. Lots of water and sun protection is important as well.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with your husband and coworkers, as they are likely more keyed into the variables you encounter daily. 105°F in SD doesn't feel like 105°F in Los Angeles or 105°F in NYC.
  • edmudman
    edmudman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of cycling in places like Libya and Saudi Arabia, with temps of 45-50 deg C.
    I always calculate 1 litre/water / hr, using salt tabs or electrolytes replacements mixed in. Drink small amounts, constantly, rather than periodic big gulps. Start small and build up tolerances. Plan routes so you know you can stop to pick up more fluids and don't wait until you run out of water to refill any empties. We'd do 6hr rides with no ill effects, although we would drink about another 2-3 litres at the end, before there'd be any need for a toilet break!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    No one else has said this explicitly that I saw, so I will (even though I think you're OK on this score): Getting acclimated to the activity in the heat is a desirable part of the process. I row in high temperatures/humidity here in summer, but I've been doing it through the season, even when temps were lower. I'd be more cautious, at least initially, if I took a midwinter trip (when it's sub-freezing here) to someplace really hot.

Since our weather is more variable than yours, even in summer, I do look at the forecasts, and try to time more intense interval workouts for relatively cooler (or at least overcast) days, and strive for steady state to happen on the hottest days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You want to make sure you're acclimated which would mean cycling throughout the late spring as temperatures rise and your body adjusting. Obviously staying hydrated is also important.

But you do need to listen to your body because heat exhaustion sucks and I think it's easier to get it cycling than pretty much anything else because the breeze you're generating makes it feel less hot.

I've had it happen to me on the bike where I felt pretty much normal while riding...then I stopped at a red light and knew something was wrong within about 30 seconds. I was also well hydrated an acclimated. Just be careful with it.

95* is pretty much my limit these days so I typically ride in the cool of the morning during the summer or mid morning on the weekends.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I like to ride at night.

I'm probably safer on the roads at night because I can light up my bike so it's visible from a far distance.

The roads are also quite smooth and safe and by now, I know most every crack in the pavement on my lil' 30 mile loop.