Non scale victories

Options
I know you shouldn’t get on the scale daily, but I did today. And after non seeing what I want to see, I had to remind myself that it isn’t all about the scale! It is in the changes we are making daily, and we have non scale victories too! So my non scale victory today is I did a mile walk on lunch instead of sitting on lunch scrolling thru Facebook. So what’s your non scale victory today? Feel free to add me as friend too

Replies

• dizzygal36
    dizzygal36 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m guilty of weighing every day. And the scale hasn’t budged in 4 days.
    But I’m in one size smaller jeans. Im not tugging at my shirts to stay down. I can bend & squat when I need to.
    And so many more “little” things.
    Thanks for reminding me to look at something besides my number.
  • burdie74
    burdie74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The scale is not reflecting the hard work that I'm putting in. I know that the scale isn't the only measure of my success, but it's hard not to fight disappointment and frustration when it doesn't show what I think it should...
    I came here to find some motivation...and here it is! I have had many non-scale victories, but the latest one was seeing my inhaler in my purse last night while digging for some change and realizing I can't remember the last time I had to even think about using that thing! I'm feeling better and feeling healthier every day - even if the scale doesn't show that!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I am adamantly in the "weigh every day" camp, I think a daily (sometimes negative) reminder helps keep staying on plan easier.

As for NSV's, a change in belt notch is a good one for me, means lower sized jeans are on the way!
  • KatTad77
    KatTad77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I am a software engineer who thrives on numbers, but more than that, trending. So I have a trending app (because I am too busy to calculate the trends myself). In addition to daily weighing, I also take measurements every two weeks. But that's not all, I take various pictures of myself and tag my weight on them and keep them in a Weight Loss Picture By Scale folder. Recently, I went through a monthish long plateau. Luckily, I had taken pictures of myself and despite the scale's numbers, I looked pretty different.

My NSVs include fitting into smaller clothes. Fitting back into (and out of!!) my shorts. I might need more shorts, lol. Skipping a whole size of pants without realizing it. Wearing my red leather jacket again! (Just in time for summer, lol. But that just means it'll fit EVEN BETTER come this fall).

I am not afraid of the scale. Nor of its fluctuations. The trending up and down tells me a lot about my body. About how food has affected me but also how my auto-immune disease has affected me. Sometimes, it can get discouraging, yes, but! That's when I whip out the tape measure and the pictures. Because if I've been good and stayed in a deficit, then I know that I wouldn't have truly gained fat.

NSVs, however, are arguably better than scale victories. New clothes! New stuff! Feeling AWESOME!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I know you shouldn’t get on the scale daily, but I did today. And after non seeing what I want to see, I had to remind myself that it isn’t all about the scale! It is in the changes we are making daily, and we have non scale victories too! So my non scale victory today is I did a mile walk on lunch instead of sitting on lunch scrolling thru Facebook. So what’s your non scale victory today? Feel free to add me as friend too

There's nothing wrong with weighing daily (that's what I do), as long as you do it at the same time (when I wake up & after the bathroom) don't focus entirely on the number. Like someone said before, it's all about how you are trending. It might go up a little if you had a lot of sodium, or other reasons, but If you log everything, you can look back & pinpoint what caused a bigger fluctuation.

My NSV in the past couple of weeks were several people from my 2nd job (including the store manager) commented on it & one guy from my gym asked if I was sick. Not sure the last one is a victory or not.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,113 Member
    Options
    I realised today that my office chair has stayed in position all week - normally I raise it up and by the end of the week it has gradually lowered to the bottom - obviously I was too heavy for it.
    But this week it hasn't done that, I am so happy I could cry!