realistic weight loss goals

Options
i have 113 lbs to lose to be 130 which is a healthy bmi for my height, i am just wondering if i will ever get there. i hear some people say that the lowest adult weight is the weight i would more than likely get to and stay... i dont believe it, and nothing is going to stop me from believing, but then again i havent weighed 130 since i was around 14 and i am currently 28. as an adult/over 18 years old, the lowest i weighed was 199... just wondering if anyone has any insight on this.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If you think you'll be happy, comfortable, content and able to maintain 130lbs - then GO FOR IT! Nothing is stopping you from achieving your goal.

I would set 10lb goals and re-evaluate your ultimate goal weight each time you lose 10lbs. You may find that you'll be happier at a higher or lower weight. Watch how your body changes in this journey and decide then. :)
  • AmberYZ
    AmberYZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Unless you had a significant growth spurt from 14-18 or your body type changed then there's no reason your body would decide to pick a random age to set your ideal goal at. If you work hard and keep at it, you can get to your own healthy body weight. Even if thats not 130, you'll still look good.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Go to 199, be proud and healthier than you are now (guessing) and then keep going. Wherever you land eating well and staying a tive is a great thing for you. Whether that is 130 or something different, that's great for you.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you couldn't. Just do it the healthy way and adopt healthy lifestyle changes that will help you maintain when you get there.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Unless you had a significant growth spurt from 14-18 or your body type changed then there's no reason your body would decide to pick a random age to set your ideal goal at. If you work hard and keep at it, you can get to your own healthy body weight. Even if thats not 130, you'll still look good.

I agree. The way I look at it is I reserve the right to reassess my goal weight as I get closer, as it is hard to say "I will be happy and look great when I am at X weight."

I know it seems like such a long way to go, which is why I agree with setting the mini-goals for yourself in 10 pound increments. I like 10 pounds because you see numbers change, e.g. from the 240s to the 230s, then 230s to the 220s, etc... For me anyway, it made it seemed like I really achieved something at each 10 pound loss. It kept my head in the game. Instead of your ultimate goal weight, scale it back and keep being in the 1s (aka one-derland, or below 200) as your big goal for now.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't let anyone say anything bad about my goals, or even try to tell me that I won't reach them.

When I was 191 pounds, people told me that I would look good at 150 pounds and shouldn't go any lower than that. At my lowest weight, i was 128 pounds and wearing the exact size that the naysayers said I would never get my butt into.

Don't listen to others. If your goal is a healthy goal, then do whatever you can to reach it!!! We can all change our body compositions to something we never thought possible before. I used to hear all the time about "big boned" or "large framed" I was and that because of that, I would never look good in anything smaller than a size 10. I am currently wearing an 8, sometimes a 6, and I am still losing body fat. I won't stop until I get that Jaime Eason look. :bigsmile: And then I will rub it in to all of them that said that I couldn't do it.
  • ltlane
    ltlane Posts: 120
    Options
    when i was younger i played every sport you could think of and played in the band. when i went to a new school/high school and didnt know too many people i slacked off from being too shy and nervous and not wanting to try out. the first year of this i had gained 20 pounds and from there the eating habits worsened, and i am guessing the metabolism continued to slow down. I also have had 2 children and have been yo-yoing between 215-240 the past 2 years.

i doubt i would be comfortable at 199 since thats still obese as i am 5'1. its funny when i hear people tell me my goal weight is too low and ill look sick. majority of them didnt even know me when i was at 130, and the few people that really did says it wont happen again (Thanx!)

i actually have daily/weekly/monthly and yearly goals. 1st goal is want to weigh 200 by Jan 2012
  • DnAmommy
    DnAmommy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're on the right path with your mini goals. You are the only one accountable for how your weight loss journey goes. If you are willing to do what it takes, then who cares what anyone else says? You just keep plugging away and shake your 113lb self in their face! :) You can do whatever you set your mind to accomplish. I'm rooting for you. :)

when i was younger i played every sport you could think of and played in the band. when i went to a new school/high school and didnt know too many people i slacked off from being too shy and nervous and not wanting to try out. the first year of this i had gained 20 pounds and from there the eating habits worsened, and i am guessing the metabolism continued to slow down. I also have had 2 children and have been yo-yoing between 215-240 the past 2 years.

i doubt i would be comfortable at 199 since thats still obese as i am 5'1. its funny when i hear people tell me my goal weight is too low and ill look sick. majority of them didnt even know me when i was at 130, and the few people that really did says it wont happen again (Thanx!)

i actually have daily/weekly/monthly and yearly goals. 1st goal is want to weigh 200 by Jan 2012
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    You still have a "young metabolism" and with determination you can DO anything!!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I believe this is a version of the set point theory about weight. I personally don't believe any of it, nor have I seen an clinical proof that it is the case. If I believed that I would have stopped at 190, but have kept losing and intend to continue losing to my final goal. I am taking a break from it right now eating at my maintenance level for the next month or so, then I will go back to the calorie deficit. I expect my final goal to be somewhere about 160, but it will all have to do with body composition as I want six pack abs which I have never had.

Above all keep control of the number of calories you consume. Make sure you have a moderate deficit. Since you have a lot to lose 2 pound per week would be doable, but 1 pound per week is preferable as it will generally mean you will not lose as much muscle with the fat and the extra time it takes allows you to relearn you eating habits to break the bad habits and establish good ones.

Exercise wise do what you can to start, walking as briskly as you can is a good place to start. You want to break a sweat. If you can bike it is another good exercise. I also suggest starting strength training right from the start. I do primarily body weight stuff as that means I can do it anywhere. I have a full weight set at home, but at this point still prefer body weight exercise. I have what I do and some other stuff on my blog here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner A place to start is the following http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner/view/beginner-focused-bodyweight-workout-102072