Finally taking this seriously!

Options
Hi everyone,

I’ve battled back and forth with weight loss efforts throughout my adult years and generally hit a plateau in which I give up and end up heavier and even more unhealthy than I was before. Looking for some help and tips to stay tuned in and get back on track for a long term healthier lifestyle

Thanks!

Replies

• LisaHeb1979
    LisaHeb1979 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I'm in the same boat.
  • wessullivan1
    wessullivan1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found that small, incremental changes over time produced the best results for me. I tried a lot of different styles of eating (paleo, primal, vegetarian, intermittent fasting) and stuck with a few them for a few months to a few years. (The paleo thing took three or four tries over the course of a couple of years.) I went from weighing 190 to about 165 - 170. I do my best to eat cleanly Monday through Friday and I try to do a little something every day (strength train, slow run, HIIT). Some weeks are good, some weeks are not so good. I think this is a great app that helps remind you to be judicious about what you put in our mouth. Good luck on your journey!
  • Timeforchanges1029
    Timeforchanges1029 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can always lose quick, and that’s where I am now. 7 weeks ago I was 237 today I’m floating between 203-205. Minimal exercise, cut out energy drinks, a lot of pop, and cut food portions down. This is where I usually struggle though. I’d like to get to 180 or so and maintain. But I know the last 25 will be harder than the first 32
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Weighing in every day or every other day helps me. Once I stop doing this I start to slip. Once I get down to let's say in your case 205 I know if the scale goes up to 210, I'm in trouble. I need to get refocused on doing the right thing. Data feels me see things are going well. I have given up before and I am back. We can do this :)
  • Timeforchanges1029
    Options
    @linsey0689 yes! Weighing in each morning has been huge! Makes me try to take each day more seriously, also some motivation to wake up and go see
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I credit platejoy.com with making successful meal planning easy and helping me improve food habits. with that for planning and mfp for logging i'm actually enjoying my diet
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm at my heaviest as well but because I barely leave my house due to social anxiety. When I made dinner my portion sizes were way too big and it was usually foods like spag bol, chicken Korma, chips and chicken or something. That was my main problem. When I make my food I literally stick it on a smaller played. Like the korma I have put it in my kids bowl lol. It's cuts the calories down ALOT. I weigh everything now and it's a massive help. I feel so much better now in myself. Less sluggish. Happier too :) still need to get round to exercise really but right now I'm good
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I can always lose quick, and that’s where I am now. 7 weeks ago I was 237 today I’m floating between 203-205. Minimal exercise, cut out energy drinks, a lot of pop, and cut food portions down. This is where I usually struggle though. I’d like to get to 180 or so and maintain. But I know the last 25 will be harder than the first 32

you've identified the problems right there... you make radical changes that you cant stick to. plus 30lbs in 7 weeks means a large amount of that is muscle, so when you gain the weight back you have even more fat and a lower BMR.

think sustainable lifestyle changes not crash diet.
  • JGuyer0513
    JGuyer0513 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I’m in the same boast as well. I lose some then it gets harder and I just give up. But I’m so focused this time it’s crazy. It’s funny how everyone is so different though. Weighing myself everyday is actually bad for me. It’s good in the beginning when it’s easier to lose but when it’s harder the scale actually becomes my enemy. My suggestion? Don’t think about the end goal too much. Focus on seeing every day as an individual challenge and goal to complete. Before you know it you’ll look up and be at your desired weight! Best wishes!!!
  • Timeforchanges1029
    Options
    I am going to attempt to be more honest with myself and use the tracking system on here to get to about 1-2 lbs per week off now. I’m hoping that if I do it at a slower pace I’ll keep it off longer
  • dbadger527
    dbadger527 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a lifetime member of WW who has backslid. I am determined to get back on track but basically need some support and motivation. Today is day one and, as usual, the enthusiasm is high. I have to keep it high to succeed. I agree to cheer you on in hopes to be motivated. Good luck Brian and all on this forum, including myself.
  • dbadger527
    Options
    Hi!

Got off to a good start this morning. Logged breakfast and water. I am going back to an old weight watcher favorite, taco soup. The ingredients are in the crockpot for the next 8 hours.
    Have a great day.
  • dbadger527
    Options
    Still on plan. Pulled out recipes I used as a weight watcher and have them in a binder. I will be browsing the SKINNY TASTE website for more. Feeling great about the plan.
  • dreddshawn
    dreddshawn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Getting fat and smoking cigarettes have a lot in common. Both end up limiting your enjoyment of life and eventually kill you. The conscious decision to stop smoking or lose weight isn't a one time thing. It's something you have to remind yourself of everyday. That alone makes it difficult. It's so easy to smoke if you're already a smoker, just as its easy to be fat. Change is hard. Breaking bad habits sucks. I quit smoking eight years ago and still I can understand how easy it would be to start again. In reality, I traded one bad habit for another. Fast food. Now i'm trying to slay that monster I created. Every day I fight it. Some days are more successful than others. It is a crucible and I survive because the fire inside me burns brighter than the fire around me.
  • dbadger527
    Options
    Don't you wish that high fat and sugar were good for you? Those are my demons. I have pulled out the recipes I used when I was an active weight watcher and it is exciting to try recipes that are good for you and they satisfy your cravings. Now that I am retired I can really do some experimenting.
  • dbadger527
    Options
    Today will be a challenge. I have planned a belated birthday celebration with my sister. Going for seafood. My plan is to enjoy the event but not overindulge. I will have to work out more and really watch my intake to accommodate the extra calories. But success here would mean I have a sustainable plan. Wish me luck.