I’m tempted to smoke again!!

Options
2»

Replies

• LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Don’t. Go brush your teeth. Chew on something. Avoid activities where you would normally smoke. Quitting is HARD. And worth it.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    The trick is to remember that it's not that you can't smoke, it's that you don't have to. That feeling you have right now is the monster of addiction in it's death throws...kill it
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Food or smoking or alcohol addiction is a biochemical sensitivity to substances that once put in the mouth creates cravings that overwhelm other wants. Some want and do...quit. Others want but consistently stumble and can't...quit. ^^^ is correct. You're going have to 'starve' the addiction out. Not literally starve but gut it out.

There are environmental cues that jack you up and there are abstinence cues that are linked to thinking or dreaming about it, driving you back to a response, to take action and act on it. Thinking about the euphoric experience and temporary relief. It only lasts about 5 minutes then you would be kicking yourself in the hindend.

Gut it out. Go take a shower. You may have to stand in their all night but take a shower every time you feel overwhelmed. That's how my father quit and it was brutal for awhile. He used to dream about setting up a tripod across the room with one long 'one' perched on there and smoke it all day long. Gut it out.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you're really desperate and don't want to cave in to actually smoking again, go hang around outside a bar. You can usually find a couple smokers outside. Yeah, it's weird but you can inhale the smoke without lighting one up. I do it when I can find someone. They're usually in their cars though.
  • SuccessHere
    SuccessHere Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Successhere - I’ve been falling into the same trap as you. Weight loss is not going the way I want it to, so I start thinking “screw it, I should just start smoking again because it’s such a good appetite suppressant for me and I’ll drop the weight sooo easy”. And then I remind myself of how I smelled all the time, how I ran and hid from my kids to smoke every couple hours, and how I am saving $250 a month.... I miss smoking but it brings more problems than it solves. And I know I need to learn to control my intake in a healthy way so I can live the life I will be proud of. I hope this helps you see that you’re not alone!!

Thank you MamaNess2018. It's nice to know someone else is going through exactly the same thing I am. I can't believe the weight I put on my gut area! I am not even sure I started eating all that much! Perhaps the little I do eat and the elimination of the nicotine has put the weight on. It infuriates me that I am now battling this fat again after I lost it. What makes matters even worse is it's not coming off!
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am by no means a therapist, I have just had some therapy sessions in my day. I was at a point where I was looking for something external to make me happy. Whether it was food or cigarettes oh and then I switched to cigars. The problem for me was internal. Therapy helped me learn how to fill the void inside of me by myself instead of looking for something external that had negative effects ( food for the weight gain and smokes for the health risks). I still have my vices...Diet Coke, exercise and yes....nicotine gum. I would rather chew the gum than smoke. Good luck to you and keep fighting.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Don't. Don't do it.

I quit for two years, cold turkey. Then one day something really stupid happened, someone insisted a bit more on a rolled cigarette, and before I knew it I was back on the bandwagon. Yes, that easy. The biggest lie you can tell yourself is that you're free, you can have one every once in a while, and that would be enough. For some, like me, it is never enough - it's either all or nothing.

I do plan on quitting again. This time it's harder. So congratulations for you, and all of you in this thread who quit and never looked back!
  • alexchoppa1
    alexchoppa1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, your problem is very familiar to me
  • alexchoppa1
    alexchoppa1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, your problem is very familiar to me

Hello, your problem is very familiar to me; for many years, my wife and I have regularly smoked cigarettes; the most common and addictive addictions include smoking, inhalation of nicotine, and other impurities of tobacco smoke - it is a natural drug, which is addictive and slowly destroys the body. We tried what could be, and nicotine pills and plaster, and all attempts were zero; in the end, we still smoke cigarettes. I had never smoked until friends advised us E Liquids and vapes to ease the craving for cigarettes, which helped. At the moment, we don't smoke anymore and only occasionally use vapes.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Ewwww nooooo!
    I smoked for about 25yrs
    On New Year's Day 2016 I decided enough was enough - best thing I ever did.
    It's such a ridiculous habit!
    Smoking won't make you less stressed or help you in any way - only negatives come from smoking.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I quit pretty much all drinking. I quit because I would feel stressed, go home, drink a couple glasses of wine, go to bed. I'd wake up stressed. Those vices don't fix anything at all. They add to the problem. I gained a bunch of weight and slept badly from drinking. You'll feel crappy for smoking again and then need to quit again. How much would that suck on top of the stress you already have? Smoking, drinking, compulsive shopping, etc. do not fix anything. Hang in there. Go for a walk. Talk to a friend. Do something that will make you feel better long-term.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    Please don't start smoking again. Please.

I watched my mother waste away and die due to small cell lung cancer. It was a horrible painful death. I now suffer from PTSD due to it as I was her caregiver. So think not only of your own health, but what your family would have to deal with.