Uh oh, craving alert!

Options
I was craving something really sweet this evening. We don't have anything though, I thought. Good, because now I won't eat anything. Then, my boyfriend asked me an awful question: to make him a bowl of ice cream. ****, I thought, I forgot all about that. This is gonna be it. I'm gonna end up making myself a bowl and I'm gonna ruin my whole day. But you know what I did? I made him a nice bowl of chocolate ice cream, handed to him and didn't make myself any, not even a little. Instead, I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Though it was on white bread, it was still a vastly healthier option AND fulfilled my craving. Proud of myself today.

Replies

• KStephanie
    Options
    Good for you! I know that's tough
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Eff yea! I love peanut butter banana sandwiches!
  • aninamika
    aninamika Posts: 159
    Options
    DAMN! Good on you girl! That is the kind of willpower I am needing right about now! Awesome stuff!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Haha it's awesome! :D Thinking about getting light peanut butter though. I eat it like every day so I might as well make it as healthy as I can lol
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I do deals with myself, I have a series of fifty calorie sweet treats and I let myself have one of each every day. It might seem like wasted calories but I don't think it is.

I have cooking chocolate cut into two square chunks in the fridge. it's chocolate and solves the chocolate problem, I nibble at tiny nibbles of it because it's cold, but it's not so utterly sweet and adorable that I can't stop going back for another lump.

I also have in the freezer bite size perky nanas for again, 50 cals. Again, because they are cold they crunch and can be eaten very slowly.

One thing I do at the end of the day with my spare calories, if I have had my piece of fruit and I have had my calcium and all that, is I will have 50 mls of icecream for 60 cals, and then one square of chocolate from my stash chopped on top of it for 25 cals. I eat it slowly, and I savour every moment. 50mls of icecream is not much icecream but it does plug the gap.

So I get my pudding. I don't actually cope with this diet without pudding. The other pudding I do if I have enough points left is I make an apple crumble and I have 1/6th of it, for a sum total of 180cals. It's mainly apple.

I think it's psychological. If you can't have a pudding you feel really robbed, and something sweet at the end of dinner seems to finish it off somehow. You can do it for very few calories if you're prepared to cut portion sizes and eat with a tiny teaspoon. Actually - eating with a sundae spoon really works too.

:)
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary... You ROCK! Stayed within you allowance AND had your snack. Great job! Does your man know what you are doing? Maybe next time he can get his OWN ice cream... lol

Keep going!
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Not to rain on any parades here but how many calories were in the peanut butter and banana sandwich? I can't speak for anyone else but if I make one, it's usually over 500 calories. How many calories are in a small bowl of ice cream? Usually less than 500 calories. Either way, eat what you enjoy.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Not to rain on any parades here but how many calories were in the peanut butter and banana sandwich? I can't speak for anyone else but if I make one, it's usually over 500 calories. How many calories are in a small bowl of ice cream? Usually less than 500 calories. Either way, eat what you enjoy.

It's not the calories I'm worried about, it's the sugar and fat. I was well under my calorie limit for the day, and personally I'd rather have the 500 calorie sandwich that barely puts me over my sugars than a small bowl of ice cream that puts me unbelievably over for fat and sugar. I do eat what I want, in a way. If I want something sweet, I have it, like tonight. I just opt for something a little healthier :) Thanks for the advice.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary... You ROCK! Stayed within you allowance AND had your snack. Great job! Does your man know what you are doing? Maybe next time he can get his OWN ice cream... lol

Keep going!

Thank you so much :) He does, yeah, and he just asked for another bowl. lol this time I told him no though because it's too tempting and he happily made his own :) He's a good man.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I do deals with myself, I have a series of fifty calorie sweet treats and I let myself have one of each every day. It might seem like wasted calories but I don't think it is.

I have cooking chocolate cut into two square chunks in the fridge. it's chocolate and solves the chocolate problem, I nibble at tiny nibbles of it because it's cold, but it's not so utterly sweet and adorable that I can't stop going back for another lump.

I also have in the freezer bite size perky nanas for again, 50 cals. Again, because they are cold they crunch and can be eaten very slowly.

One thing I do at the end of the day with my spare calories, if I have had my piece of fruit and I have had my calcium and all that, is I will have 50 mls of icecream for 60 cals, and then one square of chocolate from my stash chopped on top of it for 25 cals. I eat it slowly, and I savour every moment. 50mls of icecream is not much icecream but it does plug the gap.

So I get my pudding. I don't actually cope with this diet without pudding. The other pudding I do if I have enough points left is I make an apple crumble and I have 1/6th of it, for a sum total of 180cals. It's mainly apple.

I think it's psychological. If you can't have a pudding you feel really robbed, and something sweet at the end of dinner seems to finish it off somehow. You can do it for very few calories if you're prepared to cut portion sizes and eat with a tiny teaspoon. Actually - eating with a sundae spoon really works too.

:)

I don't have the willpower you do, clearly, because I'd have inhaled all my sweet treats in one day! lol But if it works for you, great! Good to know you have the willpower for that!
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!
  • kimberly130
    Options
    Good job! Ice cream and doughnuts are my weakness. Ya know Hagen Das has a great sorbet if you like mango. ( i think they have strawberry and raspberry too) While there is sugar, there is no fat in one serving. Its sweet and hits the spot when you want a cool treat! I love it and i dont feel like im depriving myself of anything ( i have like zero will power!) Kudos to You!
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    SO proud of you!!!