Post Rotator Cuff Surgery

Options
I'm searching for some ideas for exercises I can do. I started physical therapy 3 weeks ago 3 days a week to gain motion in arm back. I have to try to keep the fat off but really difficult being limited

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Focus on your diet for the time being and follow the plan set in place by your physical therapist. If you need advice on additional exercises you can do (for example: cycling) go ahead and ask your physical therapist to give you a list of green-light activities you can do.

Do not, i repeat, do NOT over do it during your period of recovery; there's no reason to rush into things and you could just make it worse for yourself in the long-run.
  • Burandt80
    Burandt80 Posts: 37 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thank you, I need to find a good way to monitor my diet. Haven’t done such a good job so far
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Burandt80 wrote: »
    Thank you, I need to find a good way to monitor my diet. Haven’t done such a good job so far

what i would do:
    1. write out a list of your favorite foods for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, desserts, drinks, etc.
    2. write out the calories, proteins, carbs, and fats, for a typical serving that you'd eat of these foods
    3. plug and play these foods into a mealplan that fit your calorie allowance
    4. track your food on myfitnesspal
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Burandt80 wrote: »

I agree focus on diet until your PT gives you the ok to do more. And word of advice - keep that shoulder limber and flexible after you heal! I didn't and 20 years later I'll have to have another surgery to get back some flexibility. Best of luck!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the suggestion of listening to your PT and not over doing it. Seriously, don't over do it, you will set yourself back otherwise. In terms of your diet - you're on Myfitness pal so that's a start.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 rotator cuff surgeries -- one in each shoulder.

It takes about 6 months to remain full/pain-free range of motion and about 1 year to regain full strength in your shoulder. So, you really shouldn't even consider doing any exercises involving your arm/shoulder for around 6 months.

On the other hand, if you don't have any lower body injuries/limitations, there's no reason why you can't do anything involving your feet/legs/hips, as long as you don't also need to use your arms/shoulders.

Walking and recumbent stationary biking (or sitting upright on a stationary bike w/o resting on your arms) come to mind as exercises you could do. You could also do body weight squats/lunges w/o carrying dumbbells or other weight in your hands.

Running and jogging probably would not be advisable until your arm is out of the sling and you can move your shoulder w/o pain, given the jarring effect of both on your body which you will definitely feel in your shoulder if it has not yet fully healed.

Good luck!

• Burandt80
    Burandt80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Doctor gave me the clear to do light jogging or walking. Which is a good. Time to move